Lack of interest in Gamecube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Seymour, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Chad Seymour

Chad Seymour Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the general lack of interest in the Nintendo Gamecube around here? Just look over the video game forums and you can count the new posts on one hand. I bought a gamecube because I really liked Rogue Squadron, then SSX Tricky came out not too far behind that. But recently, ever time I go to the local Best Buy, they never have any new games on the gamecube aisle, but the X-box aisle is expanding every week. Anybody else noticing this trend? Anybody else kinda feeling like they may have made the wrong choice?

Chad

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I can't speak for everyone here, of course, but the perception I had was that Nintendo was targeting a younger audience with many of its games for the cube. As a die hard PC gaming fan, I wanted something more reflective of that market, which is why I went for an Xbox. I too have second thoughts sometimes though, because it seems to me that there is a lack of decent games for my system, though better ones seem to be just around the corner...

Sony is said to be planning a price drop, so you could always consider picking up ANOTHER system, if that doesn't seem too wasteful, cash wise...

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

The other thing to mention is that as a Home Theater Forum first and foremost, it's probably natural that the discussion here focuses primarily on the most home theater-esque of the consoles. I find a lot of members here talk about widescreen support, Dolby Digital sound, DTS sound from the PS2, component cables for any of the consoles, and other such topics--much more so than would be found on a typical "video game" forum.
    I guess I am saying that just because the Xbox gets a lot of play in this particular forum, I wouldn't necessarily use that as a gauge of its popularity in the video-game-buying public.
    (And for the record so I don't get jumped on, I have an Xbox, I love my Xbox, and I covet the other two consoles desperately.) [​IMG]

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Excellent point, Dave.

Also, the current GCN library is pretty crappy, IMO. New software has been extremely slow to market. Delays of big titles (Starfox) aren't helping either.

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    It's just demographics. The GCN is aimed at a younger audience than the X-Box. And since the HTF is made up of mostly people in the X-Box's demographic, it's only natural that there are more threads about that particular system.

I, for one, love my GCN. I've had a blast playing Pikmin, Rogue Leader, Wave Race, SSBM, Luigi's Mansion, Tony Hawk 3, Madden 2002, and tons of other games. I'm really looking forward to the Resident Evil games, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Zelda, and the many other great games coming out this year. I would suggest maybe trying a few Cube games that you don't think you'd enjoy. I didn't think I'd like SSBM, but damn if it isn't a blast to play!

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Overall, some could argue that there are more GCN games than XB, but the XB games have a bigger following. HALO is THE GAME for the X-Box and a huge following, whereas the GCN has a bunch of games with smaller groups supporting them all.

9. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

I wouldn't worry -- the games WILL be there. Nintendo never seems to worry about the present, and given the X-box's lackluster reception in Japan, they're probably right. The latest screenshots of Starfox Adventures look pretty spectacular.

Plus, as soon as a new "Mario Kart" or similar racer shows up they'll probably sell another 1,000,000 Cubes.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I wonder who's supporting Custer's Revenge...

13. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Gamecube is still one of the biggest search terms on search engines if that means anything.

14. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Lack of interest duw to lack of games, that's all.