What's new

Lack of interest in Gamecube? (1 Viewer)

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me or does anyone else notice the general lack of interest in the Nintendo Gamecube around here? Just look over the video game forums and you can count the new posts on one hand. I bought a gamecube because I really liked Rogue Squadron, then SSX Tricky came out not too far behind that. But recently, ever time I go to the local Best Buy, they never have any new games on the gamecube aisle, but the X-box aisle is expanding every week. Anybody else noticing this trend? Anybody else kinda feeling like they may have made the wrong choice?

Chad

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I can't speak for everyone here, of course, but the perception I had was that Nintendo was targeting a younger audience with many of its games for the cube. As a die hard PC gaming fan, I wanted something more reflective of that market, which is why I went for an Xbox. I too have second thoughts sometimes though, because it seems to me that there is a lack of decent games for my system, though better ones seem to be just around the corner...

Sony is said to be planning a price drop, so you could always consider picking up ANOTHER system, if that doesn't seem too wasteful, cash wise...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Anybody else kinda feeling like they may have made the wrong choice?
If your enjoying the Gamecube then you didn't make the wrong choice. In fact I don't think there is a such thing as a wrong choice when choosing a console. I personally own all 4 of the next gen systems and I think they are all great.
Lately there has been more talk about the X-box on the forum because some high profile titles have been announced (Star Wars KOTOR, Rainbow 63, World Series 2k3) and released (Jet Set Radio Future and the upcoming Rallisport Challenge). Its to be expected. You will notice there are some threads devoted to the new Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox adventure and Eternal Darkness. The problem is since Miyamoto is being really hush hush about the marquee Nintendo titles it doesn't leave much room for discussion. You should see Cube talk pick up big time when E3 comes around. We'll finally see impressions of a playable Zelda and Metroid.
Don't fret:D. The games are coming for the Big N's little system. If you are interested in the X-box's library save up some money and get yourself a Box (same goes for the PS2 and DC), youll be happy with the purchase and have some other games to keep you busy until the Cube comes into its own. ......and remember, there is no wrong choice.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
The other thing to mention is that as a Home Theater Forum first and foremost, it's probably natural that the discussion here focuses primarily on the most home theater-esque of the consoles. I find a lot of members here talk about widescreen support, Dolby Digital sound, DTS sound from the PS2, component cables for any of the consoles, and other such topics--much more so than would be found on a typical "video game" forum.
I guess I am saying that just because the Xbox gets a lot of play in this particular forum, I wouldn't necessarily use that as a gauge of its popularity in the video-game-buying public.
(And for the record so I don't get jumped on, I have an Xbox, I love my Xbox, and I covet the other two consoles desperately.) :)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Excellent point, Dave.

Also, the current GCN library is pretty crappy, IMO. New software has been extremely slow to market. Delays of big titles (Starfox) aren't helping either.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
It's just demographics. The GCN is aimed at a younger audience than the X-Box. And since the HTF is made up of mostly people in the X-Box's demographic, it's only natural that there are more threads about that particular system.

I, for one, love my GCN. I've had a blast playing Pikmin, Rogue Leader, Wave Race, SSBM, Luigi's Mansion, Tony Hawk 3, Madden 2002, and tons of other games. I'm really looking forward to the Resident Evil games, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Zelda, and the many other great games coming out this year. I would suggest maybe trying a few Cube games that you don't think you'd enjoy. I didn't think I'd like SSBM, but damn if it isn't a blast to play!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Overall, some could argue that there are more GCN games than XB, but the XB games have a bigger following. HALO is THE GAME for the X-Box and a huge following, whereas the GCN has a bunch of games with smaller groups supporting them all.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I wouldn't worry -- the games WILL be there. Nintendo never seems to worry about the present, and given the X-box's lackluster reception in Japan, they're probably right. The latest screenshots of Starfox Adventures look pretty spectacular.

Plus, as soon as a new "Mario Kart" or similar racer shows up they'll probably sell another 1,000,000 Cubes.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Overall, some could argue that there are more GCN games than XB, but the XB games have a bigger following. HALO is THE GAME for the X-Box and a huge following, whereas the GCN has a bunch of games with smaller groups supporting them all.
Yes...you could make that arguement...but you'd be WRONG!!!
You're right about the smaller groups though...I think the Libertarians support Simpsons: Road Rage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks