What's new

La La Land (2016) (2 Viewers)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Hi!
Although I have had the soundtrack for sometime, I just bought the background score and am attempting to meld them together. Do you just ignore the duplicate tracks that are on both albums? Which version on which album is best to use?

Those who bought both the La La Land original soundtrack and score may find this useful, I found a list put together by an Amazon reviewer that merges the tracks of both and lists them sequentially as they appear in the film, eliminating dupes-

*1. Another Day of Sun
2. Mia Gets Home
3. Bathroom Mirror/ You’re Coming Right?
*4. Someone in the Crowd
5. Classic Rope-a-Dope
6. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme
7. Stroll up the Hill
*8. A Lovely Night
9. There the Whole Time/ Twirl
10. Bogart & Bergman
11. Mia Hates Jazz
12. Herman’s Habit
*13. City of Stars
14. Rialto at Ten
15. Rialto
16. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme (Late for the Date)
17. Planetarium
18. Holy Hell
19. Summer Montage/ Madeline
20. It Pays
21. Chicken on a Stick
22. City of Stars/ May Finally Come True
*23. Start a Fire
24. Chinatown
25. Surprise
26. Boise
27. Missed the Play
28. It’s Over/ Engagement Party
29. The House in Front of the Library
*30. Audition (The Fools Who Dream)
31. You Love Jazz Now
32. Cincinnati
33. Epilogue
34. The End
35. Credits
36. Mia & Sebastian’s Theme (Celesta)
*37. City of Stars (Humming)
!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks for that list Joel. I just created a playlist in that order and it was perfect. 1 hour and 17 minutes. Fits on one disc![emoji106][emoji106]

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
That list has a couple mistakes.

13 and 14 should be flipped, Rialto at Ten is what the band is playing in the background at the jazz club when Sebastian ask Mia meet him there at 10. He sings City of Stars on the pier after that scene.

If you flip 36 and 37 it will match the end credits of the movie.

TJPC, use all the tracks on the score album, toss out the duplicates from the other album.

If you like to edit music then tracks 3 and 4 should be one long track, as well as tracks 7 and 8. Track 8 repeats the ending of track 7 which sounded odd to me back to back, until I edited them together to match the film.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Thanks! Just burned a full score cd. Of course it is natural, but it is interesting how the music all fits. Often a song that has words is followed by an instrumental reprise from the score cd.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how many of the people that didn't care for the film actually DID fall asleep while watching it. That would explain a lot.

:)

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tomorrow's the BIG day. Oscar nominations are announced.

Look for L3 to lead the pack with the most nominations...perhaps ever.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It'll be a big Oscar night too.

My prediction for nominations are

Picture
Director
Actor
Actress
Screenplay
Song
Score
Editing
Cinematography
Production Design
Sound
Sound Editing
Costumes

Nominations are announced January 24

Oscars on ABC Sunday February 26

Maybe makeup too. Perhaps two songs.

That would be 15 nominations. Titanic and All About Eve had 14 apiece.

Heads up haters: 'La La Land' might be making history on Oscar nominations morning

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...scars-nominations-preview-20170123-story.html

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
14 Nominations!

And both 'Audition' and 'City of Stars' were nominated for Best Song! My money is on 'Audition'!

Mark

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
While I enjoy all the songs (well, except 'Start a Fire'), I actually like 'Another Day of Sun' and 'A Lovely Night' more then the ones that got nominated. I think it is the music and dancing that puts those 2 songs over the top for me. "Another Day of Sun" is almost the theme song of the movie, it is sprinkled all over the score more then the other songs.

If I were to rank the songs my list would probably look like this:

Another Day of Sun
A Lovely Night
Audition
Someone in the Crowd
City of Stars

I loved this movie and I hope it wins everything. It's going to be fun to have a movie to root for this year, been a few years since a movie I really, really enjoyed was nominated for much of anything.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Unfortunately, LA LA LAND isn't even playing in North Bay, so even if my wife and I were to decide to catch a flick at the Galaxy Cinemas - NO DICE! :rolleyes:

If all goes well, it looks like we might be getting out of Ontario's near north in the not too distant future. After nearly 25 years, I've had my fill!

But I digress!

Man, it does seem that a lot of folk are really enjoying LA LA LAND a lot more the second and third go rounds! In a general sense, this seems to be one of those titles that sneak up on you, so to speak!

Now, I DO want to check it out, but our small, non growing city doesn't have it!

Need to get back down south, where there are more entertainment options! Perhaps it could be put to music - If only I could sing even a little bit? ;)

Here I am digressing again! :P

CHEERS! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got out to see La La Land tonight. It's been on the wife's "must see" list since Christmas.

I liked the romantic drama. The story of young-ish love fraught between youthful dreams and the practicalities of being an adult was engaging, with some superbly written scenes. I'm very Mia-like regarding jazz, and I loved the two major conversations about jazz!

And then they'd start to sing unmemorable songs, and I'd want to get out my iPhone and start surfing the web. (Which I didn't, but I really really wanted to.)

And the dancing...after watching numerous seasons of So You Think You Can Dance, the middling skills of leads let down the great choreography of the wonderful Mandy Moore. They weren't bad. But they weren't impressive.

And while I got the thematic construction -- they sing when they believe in their dreams -- it made for a split-personality movie. It was a musical for a while, then a drama for a while, then a nostalgic homage to Hollywood's musical heyday, and then a drama.

The final grand scene was brilliant and covers up for much of the weaknesses in the overlong movie.

I doubt I'll ever want to revisit La La Land. But I'll continue to re-watch Moulin Rouge and enjoy its soundtrack, which remains my reference for a modern movie-musical.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Lucky you Thomas. Hope you enjoy L cubed as much as many of us have. Let us know your thoughts. Good, bad or indifferent.
Thank you, Joel.

After I left the cinema, I couldn't get the melody of Sebastian's theme out of my head.
It was a marvelous piece of film, with good acting, good singing. I even find the ending was a very good choice (I heard otherwise).
I give it a 9/10 (which is usually the highest rating I'm going to give after the first time watching)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave,

What is your wife's opinion of it?
She liked it less than I did, but with the same erratic experience. The fantastical dance numbers (flying in the observatory) didn't fit the otherwise realistic movie and shoved her out of the experience. She loved the main song that everyone loves. She didn't get into the meet cute beginning, thinking the random encounters were too contrived and never really bought into their early relationship. She liked it once they were together. She didn't like the melancholy ending. She also found the five year jump, with a marriage and two-to-three year old baby, utterly unbelievable. The grande finale was magnificent. But she hated yet another expression of Hollywood's collective disdain for mature love, showing a woman who presumably had fulfilled her dreams, met her true love in doing so, built a life, and had a child, then experience utter profound regret on seeing her former boyfriend from years before.

It was a decent movie, but the over-the-top accolades are an example of Hollywood being in love with itself and falling over itself to praise any work that pays homage to Hollywood's greatness.

Overall, she wanted it to be much, much better than it was.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For me, if the music had been engaging I probably would have loved it. Maybe I'm too simplistic in my tastes or too mainstream. But I'm used to being blown away by at least one song in a typical Disney musical animation; even "Frozen" a mediocre movie on the whole, had at least three knock-me-out song sequences. Nothing like that in La La Land.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks