What's new

BEST MOVIES OF THE DECADE (2010-2019) (1 Viewer)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Here it is:
1. La La Land [9,5/10] my Film Of The Year 2016
2. Guardians of the Galaxy [9,5/10] my Film Of The Year 2014
3. Blade Runner 2049 [9/10] my Film Of The Year 2017
4. La Vie d'Adèle (Blue is a Warm Color) [9/10] 2nd in 2013
5. Ex Machina [9/10] 2nd in 2014
6. The King's Speech [9/10] my Film Of The Year 2010
7. Gravity [9/10] my Film Of The Year 2013
8. Argo [9/10] my Film Of The Year 2012
9. The Martian [9/10] my Film Of The Year 2015
10. Logan [9/10] 2nd in 2017

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My list
Hell Or High Water
3 Billboards
The Big Short
The Social Network
Spotlight
The Martian
Nightcrawler
American Made

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There are so many great films from the last ten years that I'm not even going to try to narrow it down to ten or twenty or some arbitrary number.

But I will say that my immediate thought is that the two Toy Story films that bookend this decade are very, very near the top, as was the case for the first two in the '90s as well. That whole series, and the consistency of incredible quality and natural evolution of the storytelling sophistication and the character growth throughout, is such an incredible gift in the history of cinema.

Toy Story 3 was nominated for Best Picture of 2010 during one of those years where the Academy had a mandate of ten films, and I think it should have won that year without question.

Toy Story 4 does not have the advantage of a required ten slots, and it does not appear to be getting the kind of buzz required to break through in the biggest category. However, I think it is equally deserving of being in there as its predecessor was, and it is certainly one of my favorite films of the year.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I started a new thread so we can actually talk about Movie lists instead of some nitpicking issue that has nothing to do with films.

My personal listing:

Rogue One
The Big Short
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Zero Dark Thirty
John Wick
The Town
Hell or High Water
Wind River
The Martian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's my updated, complete list.

I won't call this the Ten Best Movies of the Decade, but My Ten Favorite Movies of the Decade. It's difficult to limit to ten, so I put an emphasis on movies that surprised me, I found I genuinely appreciated after some thought and re-viewing, or that simply move me.

Never Let Me Go (2010)
Perfect Sense (2011)
Drive (2011)
Cinderella (2015)
Sicario (2015)
Arrival (2016)
Colossal (2016)
Rogue One (2016)
Disobedience (2017)

I've pretty much decided my favorite movie of the entire decade is...
A Monster Calls (2016)

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I started a new thread so we can actually talk about Movie lists instead of some nitpicking issue that has nothing to do with films.

My personal listing:

Rogue One
The Big Short
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Zero Dark Thirty
John Wick
The Town
Hell or High Water
Wind River
The Martian
Thanks Robert.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here's a rapidly assembled list of my favorite films from each year with other must see films in parentheses. I think this is a pretty decent list of the films I really think best represent the decade.

2010 - TIE Shutter Island, The Ghost Writer (Black Swan, Valhalla Rising, The Social Network)

2011 - Drive (The Guard, Take Shelter, Source Code, Carnage, Killer Joe)

2012 - The Master (Skyfall, The Grey, Moonrise Kingdom, Argo, Lincoln)

2013 - The Wolf of Wall Street (American Hustle, Gravity, Inside Llewyn Davis)

2014 - TIE Under the Skin, Nightcrawler, Inherent Vice, Calvary (Interstellar, Her, Whiplash, Birdman, The Monuments Men, The Grand Budapest Hotel)

2015 - TIE Sicario, Ex Machina (The Hateful Eight, The Big Short, What We Do in the Shadows, Bone Tomahawk)

2016 - TIE The Revenant, Arrival (The Witch, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Hail Caesar!)

2017- TIE Blade Runner 2049, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Phantom Thread (Dunkirk, Mother!, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Shape of Water, Hostiles)

2018 - TIE Annihilation, Mandy (First Reformed, BlacKkKlansman, Sorry to Bother You, The Favourite, You Were Never Really Here, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

2019 - 1917 (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Uncut Gems, Ad Astra, The Lighthouse)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's a rapidly assembled list of my favorite films from each year with other must see films in parentheses. I think this is a pretty decent list of the films I really think best represent the decade.

2010 - TIE Shutter Island, The Ghost Writer (Black Swan, Valhalla Rising, The Social Network)

2014 - TIE Under the Skin, Nightcrawler, Inherent Vice, Calvary (Interstellar, Her, Whiplash, Birdman, The Monuments Men, The Grand Budapest Hotel)

2015 - TIE Sicario, Ex Machina (The Hateful Eight, The Big Short, What We Do in the Shadows, Bone Tomahawk)

2016 - TIE The Revenant, Arrival (The Witch, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Hail Caesar!)

2017- TIE Blade Runner 2049, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Phantom Thread (Dunkirk, Mother!, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Shape of Water, Hostiles)

2018 - TIE Annihilation, Mandy (First Reformed, BlacKkKlansman, Sorry to Bother You, The Favourite, You Were Never Really Here, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)

2019 - 1917 (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Uncut Gems, Ad Astra, The Lighthouse)
Excellent list and a good answer to the people who think they stopped making decent movies in 1980 (or 1970 or 1960).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

I bought The Master a while ago- still haven’t watched it yet. I don’t know why I’m putting it off- I’m a monster P.T. Anderson fan.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Interesting choice. I have to appreciate the bold weirdness of it.

Cheddar Goblin tastes best.

"You ripped my shirt!"

Yes, love how weird it is but it is also just a beautiful looking film, the performances are fantastically warped, and there is a story that is told that flows from beginning to end where you actually have motivations and reasons for the characters to be doing what they are doing. I honestly feel it is wonderful filmmaking.

I just watched the last Star Wars film again and it also looks pretty but on the whole it is pretty lousy filmmaking. Horribly written mainly, like they never really thought anything out. Oddly, I enjoyed it but it feels like more a "guilty pleasure" than a good film.

Now I would not really compare the two films because Mandy is essentially a crazed genre art film driven by a filmmaker's vision whereas Star Wars is just a product to generate cash and there is no real vision there. There was when Lucas was first making these films but now it is completely devoid of that.

But I have to admit the thing that stands out is just what you end up with when you dump boatloads of cash into one project and end up with something totally vacant and empty you forget 5 minutes after you watch it and a film made on a tiny budget that looks just as gorgeous and I have not been able to stop thinking about for over a year.

I know...same old same old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks