What's new

La La Land (2016)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Title: La La Land (2016)

Tagline: Here's to the fools who dream.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Director: Damien Chazelle

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, John Legend, Rosemarie DeWitt, J.K. Simmons, Amiée Conn, Terry Walters, Thom Shelton, Cinda Adams, Callie Hernandez, Jessica Rothe, Sonoya Mizuno, Claudine Claudio, Jason Fuchs, D.A. Wallach, Trevor Lissauer, Olivia Hamilton, Anna Chazelle, Marius De Vries, Finn Wittrock, Josh Pence, Nicole Coulon, Damon Gupton, Christopher Michael Stevens, Keith Harris, Kaveh Rastegar, Briana Lee, David Douglas, Miles Anderson, Bobo Chang, Meagen Fay, John Hindman, Valarie Rae Miller, Nicole Wolf, Corrin Evans, Kiff VandenHeuvel, Tom Everett Scott, Hemky Madera, Zoë Hall, Dempsey Pappion, Sandra Rosko, Reshma Gajjar, Candice Coke, Hunter Hamilton, Damian Gomez, Amanda Balen, Cindera Che, Chris Moss, Marissa Labog, Tiffany Daniels, Melinda Sullivan, Stephanie Landwehr, Britt Stewart, Clarice Ordaz, Nathan Prevost, Scott Hislop, Kc Monnie, Krystal Ellsworth, Sarah Mitchell, Morgan Larson, Becca Sweitzer, Gakenia Muigai, Michael Stein, Mario Diaz, Julie Schmid, Lexie Contursi, Eartha Robinson, Sybil Azur, Tara Nicole Hughes, Kayla Kalbfleisch, Martha Nichols, Anthony Marciona, Bill Prudich, Robert Roldan, Ryan Novak, Demian Boergadine, Gustavo Vargas, Robert Haynes, Ana Flavia Gavlak, Andres Perez-Molina, Phillip E. Walker, Milica Govich, Kaye L. Morris, Nilla Elizabeth Watkins, Holly Houk, Jesse Houk, Kristin Slaysman, Cameron Brinkman, Jordan Ray Fox, Caroline Jaden Stussi, Margaret Newborn, Nadia Tumanova, Crystal Nichol, Kristin Elliott, Andrea Lareo, Christopher Aber, Anna Lunberry, Courtney Hart, Shannon Leann, Jenna Curtis, Noah James, Tommy Cooley, Morgan Cohen, Jeremy Nathan Tisser, Patty Tobin, Heather Turman, Susie Ganiere, Ottavio Taddei, April Martucci, Trent Kerpsack, Lynn Moore, Vince Donvito, Steffen Dziczek, Melvin LaThomas Brimm, Kelly Kennedy, Clarence Robinson, Dapo Torimiro, Destinee Handly, Tommy Otis, Amanda Fields, Frederick Keeve, Kayla Bechor

Release: 2016-11-29

Runtime: 128

Plot: Mia, an aspiring actress, serves lattes to movie stars in between auditions and Sebastian, a jazz musician, scrapes by playing cocktail party gigs in dingy bars, but as success mounts they are faced with decisions that begin to fray the fragile fabric of their love affair, and the dreams they worked so hard to maintain in each other threaten to rip them apart.

I'm a sucker for both romantic comedies and musicals. I feel those two genres are at the top of the heap when it comes to re-watchability factor (a good action shoot-em-up is up there too :) ). Which is why I am VERY much looking forward to 'La La Land'! Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, two of my favorites.

i-4DvMwWf.jpg

Trailer:

It already has 58 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and it's sitting with a 97% critic score! So far, the critics are loving this film!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/la_la_land

Chris Stuckmann's review:

Limited release on Dec 9 then wide on Dec 16. I hope San Diego is one of the cities to get a Dec 9 release!

Mark

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Song lyrics by Pasek and Paul, the hot new song writing team of Dear Evan Hansen opening on Broadway next month.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The New York Film Critics Circle kicks off a long, winding road of precursor accolades en route to the Oscars Thursday, when the 37-strong group announces its full list of year-end film awards, cementing La La Land’s status as the Best Picture frontrunner.

Damien Chazelle’s modern musical, starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, picked up the NYFCC’s top award for Best Film. Since 2003, only four of the NYFCC winners have gone on to win Best Picture at the Oscars, but only two (2006’s United 93 and 2015’s Carol) wound up without a Best Picture nomination at all.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/01/2016-new-york-film-critics-circle-awards

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
IGN's Terri Schwartz gives 'La La Land' 9.5 out of 10 stars and titles it "Amazing"! I am so excited to see it tonight!

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'La La Land' is a beautiful and joyous film. It lifted my spirit and mesmerized me with its delightful music and dance numbers. It felt like a modern film and a throwback to the glory days of Hollywood musicals all at the same time! I cared deeply for its characters and I reveled in the sheer magnificence of it all.

The Booth Bijou gives 'La La Land' a VERY enthusiastic 5 out of 5 stars. I loved, loved, LOVED this film! I can't wait to own it on Blu-ray and show it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater!

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'La La Land' critic score has ticked up to 96%! With more than 13,600 audience ratings in, the audience score is at 89%!

It's gonna take home the Best Picture Oscar!!

Mark

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I saw this last night at the Dome in Hollywood (followed by a Q&A with director Damien Chazelle, composer Justin Hurwitz, and Ryan Gosling).

All I can say is: Gawd, it was glorious!

I can't remember the last time I so unconditionally loved a film from first frame to last. It's rapturous, heartfelt, audacious, visually stunning, incredibly moving, ineffably sublime.

Most of all, it reminds one just how utterly magical, transcendent, and transporting movies can be.

Do NOT wait for the Blu-ray or to stream it on your iPad. Chazelle made it quite clear during the Q&A that this film was intended to be seen in theaters, on a big screen, and with an audience.

I'm seeing it again tomorrow...!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My brother saw it and hated it. Called it "Blah" La Land. I frequently disagree with him. Hope this is one of those times. [emoji6]

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I saw it tonight.

It was OK.

And there was a major plot element that was handled poorly.

the ending. It appeared they might be getting back together, but apparently they drifted so far apart she didn't even know he had a club. And they don't even talk at the end? Why not? Was there a reason?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I can't wait to see this next week. The current 'wide' release is only 200 screens. It doesn't open for me until Christmas.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Now that 'La La Land' has opened pretty wide (with full release reportedly coming this Friday), I look forward to more comments in this thread.

Come on, Robert. You know you want to see it! :) It's going to take Best Picture on February 26, you might as well get your viewing over before then! :)

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now that 'La La Land' has opened pretty wide (with full release reportedly coming this Friday), I look forward to more comments in this thread.

Come on, Robert. You know you want to see it! :) It's going to take Best Picture on February 26, you might as well get your viewing over before then! :)

Mark
I don't know, an over two hour musical not named West Side Story tends to bore me.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, an over two hour musical not named West Side Story tends to bore me.

Wow, we must be polar opposites when it comes to musicals. 'West Side Story' isn't on my list of good musicals. I've tried to like it, really I have. But, bleh.

We are going to see 'La La Land' again this week. Best film of the year!

Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing it tomorrow with my elderly Italian parents. Hope we like it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks