What's new

KOYAANISQATSI/ POWAQQATSI with no inserts?! (1 Viewer)

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi 2-pack at my local BB, and neither of them had any inserts. I understand that they are not SE's, but usually there is at least chapter listing. Just wanted to know, did this happen to anybody else, or is MGM doing this on purpose?

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response, I assumed it was something along those lines....just wanted to verify for this case though. Anyone own these DVD's that can verify these findings?

It's odd, throughout my whole collection, I've never not had inserts come with the DVD....just searched my DVD Profiler, looks like all the MGM titles I have are SE's. Either way, if anyone did get an insert for this set, it would be nice to know. Thanks!

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
No inserts on mine either. Though it's common knowledge that ther budget dvd's have no inserts.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
And when they are there, it's not an insert, but a "collectible booklet". Even if it's just a sheet.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks - can't believe I've never come across this (researched it) from the nearly 200 DVDs that I've collected. Oh well

Carrol Jo

Grip
Before feeling too put-out, consider those of us who shelled out $180 for the original Director's Premium limited edition of Koyaanisqatsi, only to find it packaged in a plain white paper sleeve (albeit a sleeve signed by Godfrey Reggio...) No cover art, no case, even. (I've since gotten custom cover art and a case for it; the signed sleeve is now the insert.)
Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Most of the price of the DVD was a donation for IRE, towards getting the rights cleared for the official, superior MGM release that's out now. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Carrol Jo - Did you download the custom artwork somewhere? Link please... :)
Have you compared the 5.1 mixes on the two DVDs yet? Curious if they're the same mix or two completely different ones.
-paul

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
$20 for both films in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 sound was good enough for me. If MGM hadn't put the package together, a number of people, myself included, would never see the films.

Now I hope the third film comes to theaters near me.

Carrol Jo

Grip
Carrol Jo - Did you download the custom artwork somewhere? Link please... Have you compared the 5.1 mixes on the two DVDs yet? Curious if they're the same mix or two completely different ones.
Paul: Actually, I haven't gotten around to picking up the new release yet. I'll probably get the Koyaanisqtsi/Powaqqatsi two-pack in a couple of weeks or so.

As for the custom art, it was emailed to me from someone on one of the forums (either here or DVD Talk) about a year ago. If your email link is functional, I'll see if I can dig up the original file and zap it to you. Warning: it's pretty big.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Before feeling too put-out, consider those of us who shelled out $180 for the original Director's Premium limited edition of Koyaanisqatsi, only to find it packaged in a plain white paper sleeve (albeit a sleeve signed by Godfrey Reggio...) No cover art, no case, even. (I've since gotten custom cover art and a case for it; the signed sleeve is now the insert.)
Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Most of the price of the DVD was a donation for IRE, towards getting the rights cleared for the official, superior MGM release that's out now.
Carrol,
you still have something special...as you have the "director's" version in 4x3 using the full-frame. IMO, if the director would actually sell his film on limited edition in DVD in open-matte form, then that's to be respected as his wish. So you have something special that the MGM doesn't offer...so feel good about having that disc. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
We mocked them for adding "collectible booklet" to the "Special Features" section on the back of the DVD... this is how we pay for it ;)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Thanks, Carrol. No big deal if you can't find it or it's too big to send. I was thinking of picking up a few double disk DVD cases so both versions of Koy would be in the same case.

-paul

Carrol Jo

Grip
Paul -- I've got it and will be happy to email it to you if you want. (BTW, it's based on the black & red graphic/photo montage used for the old LD release.)

I noticed you don't have an email link in your profile. Just email me if you're interested (the email link above is valid), and I'll send it to you in my response.

CJ

Carrol Jo

Grip
you still have something special...as you have the "director's" version in 4x3 using the full-frame. IMO, if the director would actually sell his film on limited edition in DVD in open-matte form, then that's to be respected as his wish. So you have something special that the MGM doesn't offer...so feel good about having that disc.
DaVid -- Indeed, I do feel good about the open matte 4:3 release I've got. Still, I'm looking forward to getting the new one for the extras and to see in detail how the new version compares to the old one.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The new DVD sucks. A lot fuzzier than the old DVD. Stick
to the old DVD if you have it and forget the new. Major
disappointment. :angry:
Michel Hafner

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa