What's new

Konami announced Gradius V. (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Man GO KONAMI GO!
There are two screenshots on Gamespot for Gradisu V on the PS2. Its looking pretty good. Wish there were some media to look at but I'll be looking forward to this one. Hopefully games like Contra, Ikaruga (soon to be on the GC) and recently PDO will ignite a good comeback for the shooter genre!
Gradius V

EdR

Second Unit
Tell me about it, I love good shooters. I was thinking the same thing the other day, hoping that PDO would help shooters make a comeback...

BTW, and other action/shooter recommendations for any next-gen console? About the only old-school shooter I have is Silpheed on the PS2, but it's not great, only good.

I remember spending a lot on R-type in the arcade.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
If you want shooters, you'll have to get a Dreamcast for now. If you consider Silpheed "good", then I think you'll find that the DC has a LOT to offer in the way of shooters.

There are also several good ones on the PS1 that you can play on your PS2. G Darius is the best, followed by R type, followed by Einhander. There are is Raiden Trad and Strikers 1945 if you like the retro stuff, but they aren't spectacular.

As for Gradius, I'm liking the look of it from those two screens, but it looks to be same ol same ol as far as weapons go.

EdR

Second Unit
Yeah, well maybe I was too kind to Silpheed...but it's the only game I have of that type...I'm anxiously awaiting Ikaruga.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Don't get too anxious for Ikaruga, I heard it might not come to the US on the GCN. Might as well just get it now.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You want a DC, EdR. Lots of Capcom/Psyiko goodness on it: Gunbird 2, GigaWing 1 & 2, Mars Matrix, plus the likes of Ikaruga, Zero Gunner 2 (rereleased for around $33).

Unlike the Saturn etc, most of the good shooters got releases in the West so aren't /too/ hard to pick up.

On the "current" generation of consoles, shooters aren't quite as common. Lots of 3D mech stuff as I'm sure you're aware, but little 2D goodness.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I loved playing this on the NES back in the day, but always liked the arcade version better. Because the actual weapon power-ups appeared rather than those "orange star" things that you had to save up for the good stuff. Anyone know if any later games took the arcade route to power-ups on the home systems?

One other thing. Call me ignorant, but what was the name of the second player ship (the red one) in Life Force? I know player one was Vic Viper, but the second ship name escapes my mind.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
All this shooter talk actually got me to turn off Panzer for a bit and get some Ikaruga action going. Great stuff!

I still have to pick up Mars Matrix, thanks for reminding me Brian. Considering whaat we are discussing, what I wouldn't give for any update to the ThunderForce series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks