What's new

Knives Out (2019) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
‘Knives Out’ To Beat ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Domestic B.O.: How Rian Johnson & Ram Bergman Hatched A Potential Franchise With $238M+ WW Hit
Not to gush, but let’s seriously behold the success of Media Rights Capital and Lionsgate’s Knives Out.

We’ve already overwritten how the whodunit is a win for original movies in last year’s Disney franchise-laden theatrical environment.

But this Rian Johnson-directed, star-studded film just won’t give up in its current sixth weekend of release, poised to make $9.5M, repping a -4% dip — the best post-New Year’s weekend hold currently in the top 10.

By Sunday, the movie will count a running domestic tally of $130.7M, and get this: the pic has a very good shot to take over Quentin Tarantino’s Leonardo DiCaprio-Brad Pitt-Margot Robbie feature Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ($141M) as the second-highest grossing original release of 2019, after Universal’s Us ($175M). Final domestic end game for Knives Out is projected to be around $150M, with a current $238.7M-plus worldwide B.O. — and that’s in a fiercely competitive market against such mass-appealing movies like Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Jumanji: The Next Level and Frozen 2. Typically, such adult-driven fare drops to around 1,000-1,500 theaters during the post New Year’s period. But exhibition has held over and supported Knives Out with a current location count of 2,142.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/knives-out-box-office-daniel-craig-rian-johnson-1202820693/

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw this again today for my second viewing. I'm not surprised but glad to say that it really held up and was equally fun to watch on second viewing. I also took my mom, who almost never goes to the theater (she only went twice last year) and she liked it as well. I'm really glad for all of its success and will be rooting for it at the Golden Globes tomorrow.

I would be equally pleased with a win for Jojo Rabbit in the Comedy category, as I love that, too, but it's very clear that this is a big popular hit and that might be to its advantage, as opposed to the smaller success of Jojo Rabbit.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Saw this yesterday finally. The shocking part was discovering that this was shot all around where I live and I never knew they shot it here. I've sat in the booth at the restaurant that Chris Evans and Ana de Armas have their discussion, the place is seconds from me. They drive around in circles in the town I used to live in during the scene where Ana and Evans and then Craig are cruising around and then Ana goes for the meeting to get her medical bag.

My wife loved this. Her favorite film of the year.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I enjoyed it as sort of an old school throwback to the Agatha Christie stuff. It was fun and I thought the political swipes were funny, timely, and appropriate. I was taken out of the movie for a second when it showed the restaurant near my house and my wife grabbed my arm when that popped up so it was funny. I said as I was walking out how we are becoming the movie capital of the world because both Knives Out and Little Women were playing at the cinema we were at and both were shot near me and both used restaurants I've frequent.

I mean they shoot a lot of stuff in Massachusetts now because it is tax free to shoot here and I have worked on a lot of pictures because of it. So, a good thing really.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What kind of work?

Nothing I want to discuss really but it's always fun. The hilarious thing is most of the films I work on are not films I watch. I've only seen two of the pictures I have worked on. I was asked to appear in one of them but when they told me when I would have to show up I said no thanks, ha!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Then why mention it?;)

Well, I never have until recently. It's nothing worth talking about but I mean I can tell some funny stories. It is fun to walk around the sets and see how they are doing things and the people are really nice. When I moved back to Massachusetts I did not think I would end up working on all this stuff but then Massachusetts made it tax free to shoot here and now there can be days when I leave my house and the street I have to drive down is shut down for shooting. It's just kind of amusing.

Most of the stuff I've done has been comedies that I have not seen but when I did something I felt was interesting to me, a film with Meryl Streep, I mentioned it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This isn't terribly surprising news, but very welcome that they're going to try to pull it together quickly. Craig's Bond films have mostly taken a long time between installments (we've had five Star Wars movies in the span between Spectre and No Time to Die), so it's nice to hear we won't have to wait as long for more of this.

That being said, if Johnson intends to shoot the next one "within the next year" as mentioned in the article, that means he is probably not doing the 2022 Star Wars film, as that timing would be impossible.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Funny that in a forum with people who sometimes despair over the state of the box office and the never-ending parade of sequels, that we're now hoping for a sequel to one of the few original films of the past year. :lol:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't have any problem with sequels and franchises if they're good.

Originals are great too as this has proven, and I hope there continues to be space for that. But the reason I want a sequel is because I think there's more to explore with Blanc. I also think Johnson is smart enough to only do it if he didn't have something else to say, and not just because the first one is a hit.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In a year where they spread the love around and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was the only movie to win three awards, it's a shame that Knives Out was totally shut out by the Golden Globes. However, at least it is a hit on its own and isn't in a position where it requires awards to draw attention to itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks