What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love a really good "whodunnit."

And Rian Johnson's (you remember his film, Brick) Knives Out, was one of the best films of 2019.

An absolute crowd pleaser, with a wonderful cast.

Recently released by Lionsgate in 4k, it's a terrific way to watch the film, especially in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Not a word as to the goings on.

For those who missed it, the film makes a wonderful break whilst working from home, possibly taking a break after writing your five pages for the day toward a great American novel.

Image – 5 (HDR10 / Dolby Vision) - plays nice with projectors

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Brilliant film. I accidentally spoiled myself to the 'who done it' part of the movie before seeing it, but as a testament to the films design, it ended up spoiling absolutely nothing at all, as every thought I had during the move as to how 'who done it' proved to be completely wrong.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Brilliant film. I accidentally spoiled myself to the 'who done it' part of the movie before seeing it, but as a testament to the films design, it ended up spoiling absolutely nothing at all, as every thought I had during the move as to how 'who done it' proved to be completely wrong.

It’s a film that holds up very nicely to repeated viewings, as there’s always something new that wasn’t noted the first time. And for those who have seen it, the screenplay...

https://lionsgate.brightspotcdn.com/fb/14/23cd58a147afbb5c758ecb3dff0a/knivesout-final.pdf

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The most entertaining film I’ve seen in recent memory. I liked how the film fools the viewer into thinking that the detective is one step behind the viewer, then the film shifts gears back into
a whodunnit.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I’m actually showing the Blu on Thursday night to 3 best friends that have never seen it. 6 foot distancing will be enforced. That’s why there are only three invited.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never heard of this film, but judging by this thread it seems I'd enjoy it a lot. I'll have to investigate further!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I saw this theatrically and loved it. A lot of people have compared it to Columbo. It also has some great social commentary that makes it more than just a whodunnit. Add on top of that a stellar cast and easily some of the best editing I've seen in a film recently. I love Rian Johnson's last two films Looper and The Last Jedi, so this was a no-brainer for me to see (and I have Kino's release of Brick on my shelf awaiting a watch this weekend).

Got to check out a few minutes of the UHD and it's stunning. Packed supplements for a new release, too. And I got the limited edition steelbook Best Buy was selling, which is designed to look like one of Harlan Thrombey's novels (with a clever easter egg on the slipcase, so don't throw it out just yet).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I also saw it theatrically and watched it again with my wife on a rental. Also the extras are great!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just watched this on a flight. Quite entertaining. Will likely get the blu-ray to watch again on a larger screen.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A great film. I just watched the rest of the regular BluRay extras last night. Lots of fun.

Frank Murphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Murphy
I love a really good "whodunnit."

And Rian Johnson's (you remember his film, Brick) Knives Out, was one of the best films of 2019.

An absolute crowd pleaser, with a wonderful cast.

Recently released by Lionsgate in 4k, it's a terrific way to watch the film, especially in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Not a word as to the goings on.

For those who missed it, the film makes a wonderful break whilst working from home, possibly taking a break after writing your five pages for the day toward a great American novel.

Image – 5 (HDR10 / Dolby Vision) - plays nice with projectors

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Hi Robert -

Frank Murphy here...when I was at CBS Radio Networks back in the ‘90’s you may recall we worked with CBS Video to promote the your newly released and magnificent restoration of “My Fair Lady” on LaserDisc (which still looks great, BTW!). Hope you are doing well. Your posts are a great respite during this virus crisis! And, seemingly against all odds, I’m still dreaming of the restoration of “The Alamo”. Hope never dies! Stay well...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Robert -

Frank Murphy here...when I was at CBS Radio Networks back in the ‘90’s you may recall we worked with CBS Video to promote the your newly released and magnificent restoration of “My Fair Lady” on LaserDisc (which still looks great, BTW!). Hope you are doing well. Your posts are a great respite during this virus crisis! And, seemingly against all odds, I’m still dreaming of the restoration of “The Alamo”. Hope never dies! Stay well...

I do recall, Frank. Pleased to see you on HTF.

MGM has little concern about The Alamo, and hundreds of other titles, as there seem to be no execs with an understanding of film or film history. The interest seems more about dollars. And while there are some excellent people who do have concern and interest, they have little power to get anything done.

Most unfortunate.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To be honest i had had enough after 10 minutes and Craig's first sentance sealed it. My wallet had a lucky escape!
Then why were you even considering a purchase? Hadn’t the trailers which revealed Craig’s accent “clued” you in. ;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Something tells me Ben Affleck liked it... or at least one of the actors ;)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks