What's new

Klipsch KSB 1.1 vs SB-1 (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Bradford

Auditioning
I'm getting my first HT setup soon and am eyeing the SB-1's to be my mains for awhile (will move them to the back when i get alittle bigger). I like the sound, and the price is not bad ($250 MSRP, can get em $190 local). But I was browsing ebay and noticed lots of Klipsch KSB 1.1's going for alittle under $100. New in box, never opened, dunno if Klipsch would recognize the warranty though.
Now, how do these two compare? I think I like the looks of the SB-1's a bit more, but if I can save $100 and get the same sound then why not. I know its bad to ask opinions on how speakers sound because its all relative, but no place carries the 1.1's anymore.
Thanks,
Kevin
ps I'm also still trying to decide on Receiver... its down to the Yamaha 5540 or the Denon 1602. Any thoughts on the sound of Klipsch with these two would be appreciated. :)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
They will sound the same. Yes, the SB1 does look better, but that really doesn't matter. As for the reciever, they are low priced, and my guess is that the amps will be about the same quality. I think your looking at features mostly.
Hope this helps!;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I had the KSB1.1 which I've since replaced with JBL Studio Series (as a go between until I can build my own speakers). I'm much happier with the JBL than I was with the Klipsch. The Klipsch Reference line is great and the higher Synergy stuff is good as well, but the bottom Klipsch is a little lacking.

KSB1.1-------------SB1
65Hz-20kHz±3dB-----60Hz-20kHz±3dB

The extention listed here is very optimistic. Must have been done with a frequency sweep at a level less than 80dB. With an 80hz crossover there was a hole between my KSB1.1 and sub when I did a sweep at 90dB. I don't think the SB1 will do much better.

KSB1.1
Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) neodymium magnet, silk dome compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Tractrix® Horn and one 5.25" (13.34cm) magnetically shielded, poly cone woofer

SB1
Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) magnetically shielded, polymer dome compression driver tweeter with a 4" (10.16cm) square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn and one 5.25" (13.34cm) magnetically shielded, IMG cone woofer

The main difference here is the SB1 uses a cheaper polymer tweeter (the only one that does, the SB2 and up use an aluminum dome tweeter; I've seen reports that the SB1 is a fair ways behind the rest of the Synergy line), is rear ported and uses a better horn that matches the one used in all the current Synergy line. Even with the silk dome tweeter I ended up with listening fatigue from the KSB1.1 monitors after 35-45 min or so of listening (set to small on an onkyo 575).

As a side note, the JBL Studio Series I speakers are still available new online at incredible prices. You can get the S26 for $160 with free shipping, or the S38 for $280 with free shipping from jandr.com right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks