What's new

Kino to bring METROPOLIS to Blu-Ray in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
But these would have been licenced releases, as neither Vestron nor Pioneer is the original rights holder. The rights would have to be negotiated as if it were a de novo release.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Moroder's version also a recut? I seem to remember it being significantly shorter than even the pre-restoration version, though I haven't seen it in many, many years. So there would be rights associated with the creative choices in the cuts too, if I'm remembering it right....what a mess.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Part of the reason for the reduction in length with Moroder's version was the replacement of intertitles with subtitles. When you take 15-30 seconds out between every scene, it adds up. Moroder's was actually the most complete Metropolis until the Murnau Foundation did its restoration.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Moroder trimmed a lot of scenes down to the essential details (whilst strangely neglecting to have any text for the Evil Maria's speech to the workers, resulting in a very silly scene!) I absolutely adore the Moroder version, and it would be great to see it reappear on DVD. Until then, my dvdr of the UK tape will have to do

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, with this news that the original uncut version of Metropolis has been found (there's a thread in the SD forum), will Kino still go on with their plans for this on Blu-ray?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It seems to me that since the Blu-ray release was only mentioned a few weeks ago, and since they have obviously known about these elements for a while and were just waiting to confirm everything was there, that the BD for 2009 may indeed be the full restoration. I mean, they're saying that they will be restoring it and making it available for consumers, so it only makes sense.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Whatever they were planning up til now, they need to incorporate the newly discovered missing scenes in this release. If it means delaying the BD a bit that's fine with me.

This is fantastic news!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, these elements were discovered in January and have since gone through several months of careful cataloging and prepping for restoration, to the point where they openly shared still frames of the previously lost footage for the article. Add to that the Blu-ray in the vague "2009" announcement from only 2 weeks ago, when Kino had to have known about this development, and you have what is likely the intent to release the newly restored full version in HD by the end of next year.

That's my opinion at least. :)

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The stills look low resolution and very damaged. I heard the material is 16mm only and a copy of a copy. Does anybody know details?

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

Agreed. This has become an exciting title of almost monumental proportions but it needs to be done right.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Couldn't they just do 24p and repeat every fifth frame? or 30p and repeat every even numbered frame? It would not be as smooth as native 24 fps or 30 fps material, but it would not result in ghosting or interlacing if done correctly.

Regards,

Roger_R

Second Unit
Juttertown! I don't understand why arbitrary framerates weren't made as a part of Blu-ray. Technically, it should be possible to change the refresh frequency of flat panel monitors to sync up to it as well...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Upcoming BD will have newly found/restored footage!

Clicky

All right... we've got one last post for you today, because this just couldn't wait until Monday. We've just heard back from our friends over at Kino International. The good news is that they have officially confirmed that the newly-discovered footage from Fritz Lang's original version of Metropolis (which we mentioned yesterday) WILL be a part of the forthcoming special edition Blu-ray Disc release in 2009. What's more, the new special edition will be released on standard DVD format as well on the same day. Watch for more details on this sure-to-be-amazing release in the weeks and months ahead. We think that's just about the best news we could close out the week with, don't you?

So with that, enjoy the weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks