What's new

Kino to bring METROPOLIS to Blu-Ray in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that was what you meant by the comment that they cannot throw money at a restoration in Germany like they can in America. Sorry if I was mistaken.
And you did say 'them' a couple of times. I just assumed you weren't involved. Of course saying 'them' gives you the advantage of still being able to talk about the project, without admitting you're directly involved
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
And I'm not even going to say anything about the Fellatio comment :D.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I apologize if I came off as negative. It's shortsighted on my part to not consider Alpha-Omega would handle revisions, since you worked miracles the first time around!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the scenes that are excessively damaged could be recreated as photo-realistic animation sequences, now that we know what the shots looked like.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting. I'm not trying to put down what you did back then. I have not seen the HD of it, only some of the DVD which is no reliable basis for judging the work. And concerning digital techniques for film restoration everybody's work quickly becomes no longer quite state of the art in some areas as progress with (filtering) algorithms and scanning hardware is rapid and sets the bar ever higher. That's true for Lowry and all the other shops. Now we have reached a high level of quality where differences become more subtle, though. No need to wait for better when the funds are there to save a film.
Can you go back to the film elements again or do you have to add to the existing data?

TBakels

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Bakels
Your idea is not 'out of this world' ... I have heard this from other people too, that have close contact to the project. BUT: a restoration is a restoration, not a re-production (of any kind) ... so that idea -no matter if done well or not- would never meet the general thinking of 'restorers'.
"Film-Archeologists" always deal with the bones they dig out from the dirt, not make new bones replacing the ones they found.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR

I'd like to see all of the footage incorporated into the film- no matter how terrible the condition.

I DO hope that they fill in whichever scenes that remain missing using still photos instead of the approach they took with the previous DVD release (which used just a different typeface on a black background to indicate missing segments) which IMO was confusing and ineffective.

It's hard to understand why it was done that way, especially when you consider they had stills from the missing scenes available (some of which were included in the bonus material section of the DVD).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And one would hope that Kino won't mess up your work with sloppy PAL/NTSC conversion this time around.

Adrian_B

Grip
I got to see the 2000 restoration in the theater last fall here in St. Louis. It was absolutely stunning - I don't see any reason why someone doing a decent mastering/compression job (not Kino's strong suit) for DVD or BR couldn't make the current restoration look incredible for home theater with the exception of the new found footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks