What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (4 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2018-5-25_11-37-45.png

that's 6, that i would purchase in an instant!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
You also have to remember that there is a tiny fraction of pre-1986 MGM titles that for one reason or another are once again under MGM’s control, such as the original FLIPPER series (that has already been issued on blu ray by Olive), and the 1934 BABES IN TOYLAND—both via the Orion library, which itself includes the Samuel Goldwyn Company output (particularly the non-Goldwyn-produced films). In the case of the latter, as has been explained many times here on this forum, the actual underlying rights holders are Tribune Entertainment/soon to be part of Sinclair Broadcast Group—MGM just holds the distribution. I’d like to see Kino tackle that title for the upcoming holiday season.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Ha, you've made the mistake that a lot of people make. All those old MGM films are now owned by Warner. MGM now is the old United Artist catalogue

So,MGM owns the whole UA catalogue?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Artists_films
great. let me scan this list a bit and come back.

edit:

This is what i came up with:
Wuthering Heights (1939)
Around the World in 80 days
Spring Reunion
The Best Man
The Last Days of pompeii
The Fugitive Kind
Fitzwilly
Cruising

I hope one of them at least gets released! :wub:

(so, it seems the most films I want from a single catalogue are Warners)

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

edit:

Wuthering Heights (1939)
Spring Reunion
The Best Man
The Last Days of pompeii
The Fugitive Kind
Fitzwilly
Cruising

Wuthering Heights and 80 Days are with Warner, and depending on which version you’re referring to, I think Pompeii as well (Warner have Wuthering Heights through their acquisition of most of the Samuel Goldwyn library, and 80 Days most of us know the situation with that). Also, unless it gets licensed elsewhere, Fugitive Kind might get an upgrade from Criterion.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not all films originally released by United Artist stayed with United Artist. It is probably more difficult to determine United Artist films controlled by MGM because United Artist wasn't a major studio like MGM, Warner Bros, and Universal in the 30's, 40.s, and 50's. They did not, I believe produce in house films. Rather they distributed films produced by independent producers. Depending on what the deal was United Artist ether retained distribution rights to the films it originally released or the rights reverted back to the producer after several years. For example in the 1930's prior to Disney's deal with RKO, Disney shorts were released by United Artists. Those rights reverted back to Disney so you will not see MGM distributing Mickey Mouse 1930's cartoons.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
A few admittedly obscure UA releases I've been wanting to see:

The Great Plane Robbery (1950) Tom Conway
Queen For a Day (1951) Darren McGavin
Overland Pacific (1954) Jock Mahoney
The Scarlet Spear (1954) John Bentley
Bayou (1957) Peter Graves

Of course, I'm not entirely sure they are all now with the MGM catalog. Like Garysb mentions in the above post, it can be a real maze as to what UA releases are indeed now with MGM, thanks to the variations in orginal producers and what rights they retained.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Wuthering Heights and 80 Days are with Warner, and depending on which version you’re referring to, I think Pompeii as well (Warner have Wuthering Heights through their acquisition of most of the Samuel Goldwyn library, and 80 Days most of us know the situation with that). Also, unless it gets licensed elsewhere, Fugitive Kind might get an upgrade from Criterion.

Aaaah!!!
When I will I get this right? :P

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Not all films originally released by United Artist stayed with United Artist. It is probably more difficult to determine United Artist films controlled by MGM because United Artist wasn't a major studio like MGM, Warner Bros, and Universal in the 30's, 40.s, and 50's. They did not, I believe produce in house films. Rather they distributed films produced by independent producers. Depending on what the deal was United Artist ether retained distribution rights to the films it originally released or the rights reverted back to the producer after several years. For example in the 1930's prior to Disney's deal with RKO, Disney shorts were released by United Artists. Those rights reverted back to Disney so you will not see MGM distributing Mickey Mouse 1930's cartoons.

Very good point. UA was almost solely a distributor, unlike the vertically integrated production-distribution studios of yore (MGM, Fox, WB, Universal, Columbia, et al.) Many of the higher-end Golden Age titles distributed thru UA were produced, for example, by Goldwyn.

While a lot of UA-distributed '50s faves already have been released on DVD/BD via MGM/UA, what qualifies as part of the UA library pre-1960s, certainly pre-'50s, is probably hard to nail down. Lots of scattered ownership and rights entanglements. Case In point: 1953's I, The Jury. Our friend Bob Furmanek, rather than having the luxury of simply calling MGM in Beverly Hills (or their NYC office), he jumped thru countless hoops with multiple parties in order to realize a 3D blu ray release only to have the rug pulled out from him at the 11th hour.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP

edit:

Wuthering Heights (1939)
Spring Reunion
The Best Man
The Last Days of pompeii
The Fugitive Kind
Fitzwilly
Cruising

There are a few other UA titles that are not under MGM’s control...

THE FAMILY (aka VIOLENT CITY) (actual owner unknown)
The Beatles films (UA did retain YELLOW SUBMARINE until recently)
APOCALYPSE NOW (now with Lionsgate)
ALWAYS (now with Universal)

Any other UA title not under UA?

P.S. I do know HALLELUJAH I’M A BUM, RED RIVER, and THE HURRICANE (pre-52 titles) are still with UA. Should be noted that UA was lucky to keep a fraction of its pre-52 library. The first title Kino would tackle too (RED RIVER is handled by Criterion, while THE HURRICANE was handled by Kino).

As for the insider not confirming or denying potential titles, that is good news in itself.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There are a few other UA titles that are not under MGM’s control...

THE FAMILY (aka VIOLENT CITY) (actual owner unknown)
The Beatles films (UA did retain YELLOW SUBMARINE until recently)
APOCALYPSE NOW (now with Lionsgate)
ALWAYS (now with Universal)

Any other UA title not under UA?

P.S. I do know HALLELUJAH I’M A BUM, RED RIVER, and THE HURRICANE (pre-52 titles) are still with UA. Should be noted that UA was lucky to keep a fraction of its pre-52 library. The first title Kino would tackle too (RED RIVER is handled by Criterion, while THE HURRICANE was handled by Kino).

As for the insider not confirming or denying potential titles, that is good news in itself.

If you're talking about the Steven Spielberg film Always that has always (no pun intended) been Universal. I think the Always on deepscan's list refers to the 1985 Henry Jaglom film called Always. My DVD of Violent City (courtesy of Blue Underground) shows the copyright holder as Unidis Largo in Rome.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP

If you're talking about the Steven Spielberg film Always that has always (no pun intended) been Universal. I think the Always on deepscan's list refers to the 1985 Henry Jaglom film called Always. My DVD of Violent City (courtesy of Blue Underground) shows the copyright holder as Unidis Largo in Rome.

I do refer to the Spielberg film ALWAYS as it was a co production of Universal and UA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks