What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (7 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 29th!

Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 96 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Billy Wilder, the legendary director of Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Stalag 17, Witness for the Prosecution, Some Like It Hot and The Apartment, comes this wartime espionage thriller starring Franchot Tone (Phantom Lady), Anne Baxter (Yellow Sky), Akim Tamiroff (The General Died at Dawn), Erich von Stroheim (Sunset Blvd.) and Peter van Eyck (The Wages of Fear). John J. Bramble (Tone), the sole survivor of a British tank crew, makes his way to a desolate desert town where he is given refuge by a hotel owner (Tamiroff) and a French chambermaid (Baxter) who prepare to receive General Erwin Rommel (Stroheim) and his German staff. Posing as the hotel’s waiter, Bramble attempts to infiltrate Rommel’s inner circle and report the general’s plans to the Allies. Co-written by Wilder and Charles Brackett (A Foreign Affair, Ball of Fire), based on a play by Lajos Biró (The Last Command) and featuring top-notch cinematography by John F. Seitz (The Big Clock, Calcutta), the masterful Five Graves to Cairo marks Wilder’s second U.S. directorial effort.

738329244941.jpg

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Coming September 29th!

• Brand New 4K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Billy Wilder, the legendary director of Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Stalag 17, Witness for the Prosecution, Some Like It Hot and The Apartment, comes this wartime espionage thriller starring Franchot Tone (Phantom Lady), Anne Baxter (Yellow Sky), Akim Tamiroff (The General Died at Dawn), Erich von Stroheim (Sunset Blvd.) and Peter van Eyck (The Wages of Fear). John J. Bramble (Tone), the sole survivor of a British tank crew, makes his way to a desolate desert town where he is given refuge by a hotel owner (Tamiroff) and a French chambermaid (Baxter) who prepare to receive General Erwin Rommel (Stroheim) and his German staff. Posing as the hotel’s waiter, Bramble attempts to infiltrate Rommel’s inner circle and report the general’s plans to the Allies. Co-written by Wilder and Charles Brackett (A Foreign Affair, Ball of Fire), based on a play by Lajos Biró (The Last Command) and featuring top-notch cinematography by John F. Seitz (The Big Clock, Calcutta), the masterful Five Graves to Cairo marks Wilder’s second U.S. directorial effort.

View attachment 74933
I am very excited for this movie release. Bravo Kino Lorber!

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Coming September 29th!

• Brand New 4K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

View attachment 74933
The audio commentary by Joseph McBride is going to be worth the price of admission alone. I will buy every Billy Wilder film that Kino Lorber releases!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If these two titles arent with Wade Williams, might KL have interest in them ?
Devil Girl from Mars
Night Caller from Outer Space
Thanks !

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming September 22nd!

Never Steal Anything Small (1959)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 94 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Screen legend James Cagney (Love Me or Leave Me, White Heat), in his final musical performance, plays a lovable, larcenous longshoreman in this rapid-fire, song-filled spoof of union politics. Cagney sings and dances his way to the top of the heap as Jake MacIllaney, a combination Yankee Doodle Dandy and Robin Hood, who empties company and union coffers alike to become president of the stevedore’s union. The sly MacIllaney also has his eye on his lawyer’s beautiful wife (Shirley Jones, Elmer Gantry, The Music Man) and reaches into his bag of tricks to win her over. This lively satire with lyrics by Maxwell Anderson and choreography by Hermes Pan remains a must-see for Cagney fans. Directed by veteran Hollywood screenwriter Charles Lederer (Fingers at the Window) and co-starring Roger Smith (TV’s 77 Sunset Strip), Cara Williams (Boomerang), Nehemiah Persoff (Day of the Outlaw), Royal Dano (Man of the West) and Anthony Caruso (Fort Massacre).

View attachment 74883

This (along with the Carroll Baker/Umberto Lenzi box set) is my most highly anticipated title of the year! This will be an immediate purchase, no waiting for sales!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Coming September 29th!

• Brand New 4K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

View attachment 74933

I think Kino must have installed cameras in my house - this is about the fifteenth title they've announced where the announcement has come literally a day after I've just watched whatever film they're announcing :) This is a VERY underrated Wilder film - just wonderful, and Stroheim is fantastic.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Not important I know, but just how good is that original post art for Five Graves To Cairo. You can't beat those painted posters.

Ha, I see we in Blighty are getting the same transfer (& cover art) from Eureka :)

We haven't shared our new 4K master with Eureka or Universal yet, so...

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 29th!

The Kiss Before the Mirror (1933)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Trailers

B&W 69 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From James Whale, the legendary director of Frankenstein, The Old Dark House, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein, Show Boat and The Man in the Iron Mask, comes this daring drama with a touch of the macabre starring Nancy Carroll (Broken Lullaby), Frank Morgan (Fast and Loose), Paul Lukas (The Lady Vanishes) and Gloria Stuart (Titanic). When Walter Bernsdorf (Lukas) kills his wife for having an affair, lawyer Paul Held (Morgan) takes on the case. Suggesting that Walter could be acquitted by means of temporary insanity, Paul not only realizes that this defense may work but that also some of the behavioral patterns Walter’s wife showed in regard to her infidelity are appearing in his own wife, Maria (Carroll). Paul realizes that if this defense could work once, it might work a second time. The Kiss Before the Mirror is a riveting pre-Code thriller beautifully shot in glorious black-and-white by the great Karl Freund (The Last Laugh, Metropolis, Key Largo).

738329250232.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Coming September 29th!

The Kiss Before the Mirror (1933)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Trailers

B&W 69 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From James Whale, the legendary director of Frankenstein, The Old Dark House, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein, Show Boat and The Man in the Iron Mask, comes this daring drama with a touch of the macabre starring Nancy Carroll (Broken Lullaby), Frank Morgan (Fast and Loose), Paul Lukas (The Lady Vanishes) and Gloria Stuart (Titanic). When Walter Bernsdorf (Lukas) kills his wife for having an affair, lawyer Paul Held (Morgan) takes on the case. Suggesting that Walter could be acquitted by means of temporary insanity, Paul not only realizes that this defense may work but that also some of the behavioral patterns Walter’s wife showed in regard to her infidelity are appearing in his own wife, Maria (Carroll). Paul realizes that if this defense could work once, it might work a second time. The Kiss Before the Mirror is a riveting pre-Code thriller beautifully shot in glorious black-and-white by the great Karl Freund (The Last Laugh, Metropolis, Key Largo).

View attachment 74937
William K. Everson showed a stunning 16mm print of this excellent film many decades ago at The New School. Universal's MOD is quite dreadful. Here's hoping Uni has given you a decent HD master. This film sparkled in its 16mm format. I can only imagine an improvement over that.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
William K. Everson showed a stunning 16mm print of this excellent film many decades ago at The New School. Universal's MOD is quite dreadful. Here's hoping Uni has given you a decent HD master. This film sparkled in its 16mm format. I can only imagine an improvement over that.
I saw a 35mm nitrate of THE KISS BEFORE THE MIRROR at MOMA in 1970-71. Stunning wouldn't begin to describe the way it looked. I guess the story isn't all that extraordinary, but who cares? It immediately became my all time favorite film--since supplanted by many others-- because of the visual splendor. Plus Nancy Carroll, a mostly pre-code actress with an indefinable quality that matched Karl Freund's cinematography.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Green with envy. I didn't live in NY at the time. Still in my native island, Puerto Rico.
I finished High School here. The first day I arrived, in September of '68, I immediately went to MOMA and became a student member. It cost $6. The first films I saw were "Lives of a Bengal Lancer" & a gorgeous Technicolor nitrate print of "Snow White."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think Kino must have installed cameras in my house - this is about the fifteenth title they've announced where the announcement has come literally a day after I've just watched whatever film they're announcing :) This is a VERY underrated Wilder film - just wonderful, and Stroheim is fantastic.

I love this film. The Universal DVD was pretty crappy, so I am hoping they give Kino a clean master to work with. The major reveal in the story is factual.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
"Five Graves to Cairo" is my favorite WWII film that was made during WWII. It's a very atypical Wilder, but that doesn't stop it from being a really tense, involving and beautifully made film. Well-constructed too, dramatically and also in terms of characterzation. I think this is where Wilder came into his own as a director. The visually stunning universe Wilder creates isn't that far removed from the worlds Von Sternberg created half a decade earlier on the same lot. I agree with Bruce that Stroheim is amazing in it--very subtle and underplayed--possibly his best performance next to "Grand Illusion".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks