What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (14 Viewers)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I saw the 168 minute version in Paris during the summer 1969 and it did not have any Roadshow trimmings.

Though a fascinating film I doubt whether or not I'd be able to sit through it again 50 years later.

Re: "ISADORA" UK magazine 'Films and Filming' May 1969, 141 minutes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 70mm elements may exist but the cost of scanning and digitally restoring from 70mm is several orders of magnitude greater than scanning and cleaning up 35mm prints. Doing it from 35mm elements makes the release financially viable for a boutique label; the cost of restoring from 70mm would not be anywhere close to what the title can reasonably be expected to sell on disc.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Coming June 30th!

Narrow Margin (1990)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by DP/Writer/Director Peter Hyams
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Critic Peter Tonguette
• Making-of Featurette
• Selected Sound Bites
• B-Rolls
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Peter Hyams, the acclaimed writer/director of Busting, Capricorn One, Outland, The Star Chamber, 2010 and Running Scared, comes this suspenseful remake of the classic 1952 film noir. Screen legend Gene Hackman (The Package, Mississippi Burning) stars as an L.A. District Attorney attempting to take an unwilling murder witness (Anne Archer, The Naked Face) back to the United States to testify against a top-level mob boss. Frantically attempting to escape two deadly hitmen sent to silence her, they board a Vancouver-bound train only to find the killers are onboard with them. For the next 20 hours, as the train hurls through the beautiful but isolated Canadian wilderness, a deadly game of cat and mouse ensues in which their ability to tell a friend from foe is a matter of life and death. James B. Sikking (The Pelican Brief), J.T. Walsh (Needful Things), M. Emmet Walsh (Retroactive), Susan Hogan (Phobia) and Harris Yulin (The Midnight Man) co-star in this action-packed thriller.

View attachment 70832

Love this movie. I'm buying two copies, just for the hell of it.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I believe Disney had a 70mm print of "VALLEY" in storage on the lot, plus "KRAKATOA". I can't recall if they held any original elements.
Don't know for sure if "VALLEY" had a stereo mix. I have never seen the film.

The Last Valley had stereo tracks as the Rivoli Theater in NYC in 1971 showed it that way. To me it will be a disappointment If the 35mm prints used by Kino did not have at least 2.0 stereo tracks. The Last Valley a 70 mm production and it certainly was one of the last ToddAO films if not the last.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Re: "ISADORA" UK magazine 'Films and Filming' May 1969, 141 minutes.

A small theater's in Paris showed the complete version and that was my only reason to spend a full 3 hours during a beautiful summer day in Paris during the summer of 1969.

One film I regret not seeing during the summer in Europe was The Wild Bunch in70 mm Roadshow in London. It took me 20 years to finally see the full length version. This particular version did indeed have an Overture and Intermission.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Bradford has a 70mm print they could take the stereo track off of that. Does anyone know if the 35mm prints were 4 track.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Will The Last Valley have a stereo track?

There might be a 5.1 included on the Blu-ray, but wasn't the film released with a mono track? Not sure that stereo stems of the original sessions exist, as I think the stereo soundtrack album (Dunhill, 1971) was a re-recording. Anyone?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I saw the 168 minute version in Paris during the summer 1969 and it did not have any Roadshow trimmings.

As I said, outside of its original December 1968 Los Angeles release, there's no record of the Roadshow version being shown anywhere else. It may have been shown complete as to the film but without the intermission, entr'acte, exit music etc.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
There might be a 5.1 included on the Blu-ray, but wasn't the film released with a mono track? Not sure that stereo stems of the original sessions exist, as I think the stereo soundtrack album (Dunhill, 1971) was a re-recording. Anyone?

I don’t know if the original soundtrack album was a re-recording or not, but the original masters for the complete score are lost. From the press release of Quartet Records’ remastered release of the original soundtrack album from a few years ago:

The album was originally released in 1972 by Dunhill Records, where the composer and record producer Phil Ramone reordered the material for a better listening experience, and incorporated music not heard in the final cut of the picture. That album was reissued on CD in 2007 by Intrada. (James Fitzpatrick produced an excellent recording of the complete score conducted by Nic Raine for Silva Screen in 2001.) For this new edition of the original LP tracks (the complete recording session recorded by John Richards at CTS sadly remains lost or destroyed.) Chris Malone has gone back to the original 2-track stereo tapes, courtesy of UMG, and remastered the album with a much improved and open sound, ensuring a more natural treble and a better low-end extension. The result is a new sound experience—the original score has never sounded so good. The CD is accompanied by a 16-page full-color booklet with detailed liner notes by John Takis.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

The Last Valley is a true 70mm production and was shown that way in NY. This was not a 70mm blow up. The film was not heavily advertised and I'm sure the box office reflected that. Thus, it would not be in stereo in neighborhood theaters in 1971.

As far as the music soundtrack album. I have the later Quartet version as well as the complete newer Tadlow recording. Both of course are stereo. Was the original album a rerecord? Probably.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 30th on DVD and Blu-ray!
Two Cult Classics by Paul Bartel!

Not for Publication (1984)
• Brand New 4K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Allan Arkush and Filmmaker/Historian Daniel Kremer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Life is a Bullfight - NEW Interview with Actor Robert Beltran
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Bartel.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 30th!

Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians (1989)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
Based on the terrifying suspense novel by Agatha Christie (Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, Ordeal by Innocence, Witness for the Prosecution, The Mirror Crack’d and Endless Night) and featuring a stellar cast that includes Donald Pleasence (The Black Windmill), Brenda Vaccaro (Midnight Cowboy), Herbert Lom (Return from the Ashes), Paul L. Smith (Haunted Honeymoon), Sarah Maur Thorp (River of Death) and Frank Stallone (Heart of Midnight). Ten strangers are summoned to a remote African safari by a mysterious host and find themselves trapped and isolated in their hunting camp. The absent host’s recorded voice then reveals why he’s gathered his baffled guests: to wreak grisly vengeance for the death each of them has caused! As predicted in the children’s rhyme “Ten Little Indians,” one by one, each of the victims meets a gruesome death at the hands of an unseen assailant. This classic mystery sends the viewer off on an expedition into epic suspense only Agatha Christie could devise!

738329247522.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Coming June 30th!

Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians (1989)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
Based on the terrifying suspense novel by Agatha Christie (Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile, Ordeal by Innocence, Witness for the Prosecution, The Mirror Crack’d and Endless Night) and featuring a stellar cast that includes Donald Pleasence (The Black Windmill), Brenda Vaccaro (Midnight Cowboy), Herbert Lom (Return from the Ashes), Paul L. Smith (Haunted Honeymoon), Sarah Maur Thorp (River of Death) and Frank Stallone (Heart of Midnight). Ten strangers are summoned to a remote African safari by a mysterious host and find themselves trapped and isolated in their hunting camp. The absent host’s recorded voice then reveals why he’s gathered his baffled guests: to wreak grisly vengeance for the death each of them has caused! As predicted in the children’s rhyme “Ten Little Indians,” one by one, each of the victims meets a gruesome death at the hands of an unseen assailant. This classic mystery sends the viewer off on an expedition into epic suspense only Agatha Christie could devise!

View attachment 70892

Sure wish you guys could release a decent-looking Blu-ray of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945), which was based on the same Christie book. The one I have is terrible.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Sure wish you guys could release a decent-looking Blu-ray of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945), which was based on the same Christie book. The one I have is terrible.
Public domain title, I believe. Originally released by 20th Century-Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks