What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (20 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 21st on DVD & Blu-ray!
From Vittorio De Sica, the Legendary Director of The Bicycle Thief, Umberto D., After the Fox, Marriage Italian Style, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow!

Woman Times Seven (1967)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Trailers

738329245269.jpg

738329245269_back.jpg

Last edited:

the__projectionist

Auditioning
Real Name
Juno
Mr. Insider,

Alice Guy Blache Vol.1: The Gaumont Years' running time is stated to be 144 mins, but is it correct? I heard it'll "replicates the content on Gaumont Treasures Disc 1", which runs nearly four hours.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Hi all,

Kino insider confirmed to me on the other forum that they do still have more Gary Cooper titles in this new universal deal. but of course they would not say which ones. They also confirmed that the new deal has only 20's silent films so the 1929 Virginian is out Also Paramount may still own 1930 The Spoilers and not universal. Here's the list of possible movies then not released by Kino or anyone else on blu ray.

1930 Only The Brave
1930 The Texan
1930 Seven Days Leave
1930 A Man from Wyoming
1930 Spoilers
1931 City Streets
1931 I Take this woman
1931 His Woman
1932 The Devil and the Deep
1932 If I had a Million
1933 Alice in Wonderland
1934 Now and Forever
1935 Peter Ibbetson
1936 Desire
1936 The Plainsman
1937 Souls at Sea
1940 North West Mounted Police
1944 The Story of Dr Wasell
1947 Unconquered

It should be noted that some of the 1930 and 1931 titles are in horrible shape and would not be good picks for a blu ray release Seven days leave and I take this woman have only one print survived and it is a 16mm print. City Streets, The Spoilers and The Texan have been restored and shown at different locations with much fanfare but the Spoilers may be still owned by Paramount. I have miserable copies of Only the Brave, A Man from Wyoming and His woman and they are not very good films in my opinion. His woman has black stereo type characters in it that would be offensive to modern day audiences. Gary Cooper's acting is not as good as it was in City Streets. If I had a Million and Alice in Wonderland had a very brief role for Cooper so I wouldn't pick them.

So with all that in mind My top 3 Picks would be:

Peter Ibbetson, Desire and City streets with The Texan and the Spoilers if they can be obtained.

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Here's an email note i got on the spoilers 15 years ago. Notice on the text states Paramount's ownership runs out on it in 2020.

One of Cooper's first sound films, THE SPOILERS (1930), was never on television due to a rights problem with the story by Rex Beach. Although the story has been in the public domain for over 10 years, Paramount has not distributed the film, nor can anyone else when Paramount's motion picture copyright expires.2020 THE SPOILERS was not included in Paramount's sale of their film library to MCA in 1958, so it is still owned by Paramount.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Because he was LIONEL BARRYMORE. And, at least, Cooper should have gotten the Juvenile award.
Unfortunately, the Academy didn't think to create the Juvenile Oscar until the Board of Governors decided they needed some way to honor Shirley Temple's unbelievable string of hit movies in 1934. Skippy preceded that decision by three years.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I know you can't comment on specific titles. Will just say that if either Flower Drum Song or Thoroughly Modern Millie was a part of this deal, I'd being doing my happy dance right about now. Not expecting miracles though.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think City Streets is likely. I hope Unconquered is also likely. Just knowing some of the titles I asked about were licensed made my day. (thank you KL)
If they add a few more titles to their 200 as they mentioned elsewhere.. please add more William Powell tittles ! :) I really would love those Philo Vance movies to get official releases , even a box set of them would be great! Id rather have official REAL releases than something someone recorded off TV and selling it on online with a paper sleeve lol

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I have the German release of Unconquered & it's one of my favourite discs. And from that long list, I'm sure The Plainsman (1936) must be a'coming, & I saw the trailer of the 1933 Alice in Wonderland on YouTube & it looks downright psychedelic.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I think City Streets is likely. I hope Unconquered is also likely. Just knowing some of the titles I asked about were licensed made my day. (thank you KL)
If they add a few more titles to their 200 as they mentioned elsewhere.. please add more William Powell tittles ! :) I really would love those Philo Vance movies to get official releases , even a box set of them would be great! Id rather have official REAL releases than something someone recorded off TV and selling it on online with a paper sleeve lol

City streets and desire are pretty much sure thing cooper released titles. Desire is because they have released everying else on her and she is very popular right now with criterion releasing that box set. City streets because they tried to get it on first deal and had more time to work it out now.

Beyond that no idea if anything else. Unconquered is just a middle of the road cooper title for me but then i hate errol flynn type swash buckler type adventure movies. Im not into that time period in history. No sword fights in unconquered that i remember but same adventure feel to it.

Peter ibnetson is just such a different type movie and the way the film was shot with the camera would make any film noir fan envious. Its an extreme fantasy extreme love story that made a lifetime impression on me. Its also the only film not announced for release yet that was in the universal gary cooper box set with the horrible flipper discs. It will remain on the self until that movie is released on blu ray.

Last edited:

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Funny story about THE SPOILERS. I saw at the 1983 (I think) Cinecon in Chicago, which included many rare and seldom-seen films as usual. IIRC, THE SPOILERS came from UCLA, a nice 35mm print, and there was discussion about the reasons behind its rarity. Oddly enough, I have only one memory of it: a terrible back-projected scene onboard a ship, with a horizon line in the background that went UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN, making the audience feel seasick!

I agree with your "best picks", Dan - my preferences would also go to CITY STREETS, DESIRE, and PETER IBBETSON, all of which I love; I used to have nice 16mm prints of the latter two, back in the day.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Funny story about THE SPOILERS. I saw at the 1983 (I think) Cinecon in Chicago, which included many rare and seldom-seen films as usual. IIRC, THE SPOILERS came from UCLA, a nice 35mm print, and there was discussion about the reasons behind its rarity. Oddly enough, I have only one memory of it: a terrible back-projected scene onboard a ship, with a horizon line in the background that went UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN, making the audience feel seasick!

I agree with your "best picks", Dan - my preferences would also go to CITY STREETS, DESIRE, and PETER IBBETSON, all of which I love; I used to have nice 16mm prints of the latter two, back in the day.
The spoilers and the texan are only ones i have never seen and may never see. High Noon and sergeant York are my top 2 Gary Cooper movies but i think Peter ibbetson would be third.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I know you can't comment on specific titles. Will just say that if either Flower Drum Song or Thoroughly Modern Millie was a part of this deal, I'd being doing my happy dance right about now. Not expecting miracles though.

Kino posted a while back that they weren't interested in releasing Flower Drum Song.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Glad to see more films by director Vittorio De Sica being released like Woman Times Seven & Indiscretion of an American Wife and I hope The Garden of the Finzi Contins might be released on Blu-ray. The 2 major dvd releases are currently out of print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks