What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
This is amazing news! I’m very happy!

There is one 1930 comic film I’d LOVE to have, and I’ve mentioned it before... I don’t think it’s ever been released on home video.

there are some other titles, too, and I hope
Some of them get released.

THANKS KINO!!

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Great Universal lists, to which I'd like to add:

Fast Charlie...the Moonbeam Rider, directed by Steve Carver, starring David Carradine and Brenda Vaccaro and many of our favorite character actors. :)

RJGT

Agent
Real Name
Richard Todd
Ha, just like the mythological monster, The Hydra. You cut a head off and two grow in its place. A title is released & two wanted titles take its place (& I've been guilty of that), but that's what makes the commercial world go around, & I'm sure Kino aren't complaining.

Well said. And that's partly what makes this hobby/sport so much fun.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I hope Thoroughly Modern Millie is part of the deal.

I seem to recall reading that Kino tried to license Millie in their first Universal deal, but were turned down. I wouldn’t be shocked if Shout ends up releasing the film using the 4K restoration that screened at Film Forum back in November.

Many thanks! I’ll ask a foolish question... I’ve read that KL will be releasing a few 4K uhd releases from the new deal with Universal. Could they be Psycho and Spartacus ? Both celebrating 60th Year Anniversaries in 2020.

I don’t think Universal will be licensing Psycho or any of their other Hitchcock films to the boutique labels, though I could see Spartacus eventually going back to Criterion.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also cant see Psycho or the Universal Hitchcock titles getting a Kino release. However, their UHD release would have to be a major title that would sell like hotcakes, something like Tremors maybe ? :)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
We can now confirm a new KL deal with Universal.
Around 200 titles
From 1916 to 2016
8 TV movies (maybe more)
1 TV series (maybe more)

kl_uni-jpg.67246
Wow! You guys are warriors on behalf of the serious collector of vintage film and TV on disc!

I'm sure we will love the Universal theatrical features you acquired. And I do hope you chose to release more TV movies, and especially, more TV series. We know you have to be careful with choosing what you will release in that realm, but may I make a case for Darren McGavin's Universal owned 1968-69 single season private eye series The Outsider (1967 TV movie + 26 hour episodes in the series)...The Outsider was created by Roy Huggins and is a spiritual and intellectual forerunner to Huggins Immortal P.I. series The Rockford Files...this is the only Darren McGavin TV series that has never found it's way to DVD...I would hope your success with McGavin's Night Stalker and Night Strangler might encourage the possibilities.

But seriously, you guys are great! And we Love you for it!

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I also want to thank Kino-Lorber for the forthcoming release of The Cold Blue / Memphis Belle...and for your other forthcoming documentary Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project, which looks to be very intriguing, judging from the trailer I viewed!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
COMING MARCH 17TH!

A PURE FORMALITY (1994) in French w/ English Subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Entertainment Journalist and Author Bryan Reesman
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Trailers

Color 111 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG-13
From Giuseppe Tornatore, the acclaimed director of Cinema Paradiso, The Legend of 1900, The Best Offer and Malena, comes this dark and mysterious thriller with top-notch performances by Gérard Depardieu (Buffet Froid, Green Card) and Roman Polanski (The Fearless Vampire Killers, A Generation). Onoff (Depardieu) is a famed author who hasn’t published anything in years and has become a recluse. One rainy night, he is picked up by the police, who find him running across the French countryside in the rain, breathless, without any identification and apparently suffering from short-term memory loss. A murder has been committed in the nearby woods, and suspecting Onoff’s involvement, the authorities detain him at a dark, leaky command post to await the arrival of the Inspector (Polanski), who’s ironically a fan of Onoff’s work. Through painstaking interrogatory dialectic, the Inspector delves into Onoff’s mind, and brings the writer to a new and unexpected realization. Music by legendary maestro Ennio Morricone (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The Sicilian Clan).

View attachment 66927

So pleased to see Kino releasing A Pure Formality. My brother introduced it to me many years ago - still his favourite.

It’s a powerful and superbly executed film, and on some level for me, packs a punch reminiscent of Rod Serling’s best works in The Twilight Zone.

Shall definitely buy this, together with Lubitsch’s Bluebeard...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks