What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (35 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 21st!

The War Lord (1965)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Sergio Mims
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 123 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From Franklin J. Schaffner, the acclaimed director of Planet of the Apes, Patton, Papillon and The Boys from Brazil comes this action-packed adventure yarn with great performances and production values. In the 11th century, the powerful Duke William of Ghent sends his most trusted knight, Chrysagon (Charlton Heston, The Big Country, El Cid), and a troop of warriors to guard Normandy’s coastal settlements from plunder and pillage by Frisian raiders. Smitten with Bronwyn (Rosemary Forsyth, What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?), the foster child of village elder Odins (Niall MacGinnis, Jason and the Argonauts), the war lord is tempted simply to take her, under the feudal custom of droit du seigneur, but finds he is falling in love. Beautifully shot by the great Russell Metty (Spartacus) and co-starring Richard Boone (Winter Kills), Guy Stockwell (Tobruk), James Farentino (Dead & Buried) and Michael Conrad (Un Flic).

738329242251.jpg

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I am very happy to see the War Lord get a Blu-ray release from Kino! Like the Cobra Woman, the War Lord also got a MOD DVD-R release via the Universal Vault Series so I'm assuming Kino's release is Blu-ray only.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 21st!

Tobruk (1967)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Steve Mitchell and Steven Jay Rubin
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 103 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated R
From Arthur Hiller, the director of Love Story, Silver Streak, The In-Laws and Outrageous Fortune comes this World War II blockbuster starring Rock Hudson (Blindfold, Showdown) and George Peppard (Cannon for Cordoba, Newman’s Law) as the leaders of a commando group on a desperate mission. As Rommel’s Afrika Korps sweeps toward Egypt and the Suez Canal in September, 1942, Major Craig (Hudson) suggests that the Desert Fox can be stopped with a daring raid on his fuel bunkers at Tobruk. Colonel Harker (Nigel Green, The Ipcress File) then recruits Craig to guide a team posing as POWs, “guarded” by Captain Bergman (Peppard) and a group of German Jews serving with the British, to their target. Written by Leo Gordon, who also plays Sgt. Krug, Tobruk is highlighted by a spectacular explosive finale in the tradition of The Guns of Navarone, The Devil's Brigade and Where Eagles Dare.

738329242411.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming January 21st!

The War Lord (1965)
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Franklin J. Schaffner, the acclaimed director of Planet of the Apes, Patton, Papillon and The Boys from Brazil comes this action-packed adventure yarn with great performances and production values. In the 11th century, the powerful Duke William of Ghent sends his most trusted knight, Chrysagon (Charlton Heston, The Big Country, El Cid), and a troop of warriors to guard Normandy’s coastal settlements from plunder and pillage by Frisian raiders. Smitten with Bronwyn (Rosemary Forsyth, What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice?), the foster child of village elder Odins (Niall MacGinnis, Jason and the Argonauts), the war lord is tempted simply to take her, under the feudal custom of droit du seigneur, but finds he is falling in love. Beautifully shot by the great Russell Metty (Spartacus) and co-starring Richard Boone (Winter Kills), Guy Stockwell (Tobruk), James Farentino (Dead & Buried) and Michael Conrad (Un Flic).

View attachment 64781

Not mentioned in the text but definitely worth acknowledging is the beautiful score by Jerome Moross (THE BIG COUNTRY).

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Coming January 21st!

The War Lord (1965)
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Wow, what an unexpected delight. I fondly recall my history teacher showing this in class when I was in Junior High.

Glad to see they are using the original poster over what that DVD snapper case used.

the-war-lord-dvd-cover.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 21st!

Ulzana's Raid (1972)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• NEW Interview with Co-Star Bruce Davison
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with John Landis
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 103 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated R
From Robert Aldrich, the renowned director of The Dirty Dozen, The Grissom Gang, The Killing of Sister George and The Longest Yard, comes this thrilling western starring screen legend Burt Lancaster (The Train, Elmer Gantry, Valdez Is Coming) in one the best performances of his iconic career. Violence begets violence in this explosive western that pits marauding Apaches against weary Indian fighters and naïve U.S. cavalrymen. Lancaster is McIntosh, a scout assigned to aid the cavalry in tracking down Ulzana (Joaquín Martínez, Jeremiah Johnson) and his band of renegade Indians. As the trail gets hotter, McIntosh tries to teach idealistic young Lieutenant DeBuin (Bruce Davison, The Crucible) that the only way to fight their escalating brutality and violence is with more force. This gritty action epic is the third of four films starring Lancaster and directed by Aldrich; the others were Apache (1954), Vera Cruz (1954) and Twilight’s Last Gleaming (1977). Beautifully shot by Joseph F. Biroc (Too Late the Hero) and featuring strong supporting performances by Richard Jaeckel (The Devil’s Brigade) and Lloyd Bochner (Point Blank).

738329242244.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
February 4th
Mo' Better Blues (1990)
Jungle Fever (1991)
Crooklyn (1994)
Clockers (1995)
Summer of Sam (1999)
The Oscar (1966)

February 11th
Heartbeeps (1981)
The Sting II (1983)
Transylvania 6-5000 (1985)
Legal Eagles (1986)

February 18th
The Criminal (1960) aka The Concrete Jungle
Accident (1967)
Perfect Friday (1971)
The Light at the Edge of the World (1971)
The Day of the Dolphin (1974)
Je t'aime moi non plus (1976) Kino Classics

February 25th
Quai des orfevres (1947)
The Third Lover (1962)
Line of Demarcation (1966)
The Deadly Trap (1971)
And Hope to Die (1972)
Max and the Junkmen (1971)

klsc.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's been almost 9 months that Kino announced Kiss The Blood Off My Hands (1948) for a blu ray release with no word yet of a release date (unless I missed it). I hope it's still on their slate..

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yikes! A big swing and a miss if that's the entire release schedule for the month of February, seeing as I'm much more interested in older American films from the late 30's through the mid-50's. 1935-1955 is my sweet spot for sure.

Gary "hope Kino has more coming from that era in 2020" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have the French Blu of TOBRUK and it's awful, mediocre image (upscale perhaps?) and burnt-in subs that don't translate much of the non-English dialogue (of which there's a fair amount). This will be an improvement.
I have the Blu Ray released in the UK by Odeon in 2014. It looks very good and I'm sure is the same source as this Blu Ray.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yikes! A big swing and a miss if that's the entire release schedule for the month of February, seeing as I'm much more interested in older American films from the late 30's through the mid-50's. 1935-1955 is my sweet spot for sure.

Gary "hope Kino has more coming from that era in 2020" O.

Well, we know that several have been announced for early 2020.

Titles I’m personally waiting for are:
Love Me Tonight
Beau Geste
Lives Of A Bengal Lancer
Murder, He Says

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks