What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (17 Viewers)

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I have a nostalgic fondness for "The General Died at Dawn," although Cooper's character in it, with his mouthy righteousness, wears increasingly thin as the film wears on. Quite atypical for Cooper, usually known for his quietness and clipped 'yup' type of dialogue and persona. Luckily, the rich photography and atmosphere in "General" happily offset some of the deficiencies in our lead hero. I'm glad the film is making it to blu.

Although, frankly I would have vastly preferred "Peter Ibbetson" to all three of these. That's always been my big 1930s Gary Cooper 'Paramount' favorite, going back to a late-show viewing when I was still a kid.

I agree 100 percent on Peter ibbetson.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
One of the best but most neglected Gary Cooper 30s film is City Streets (1931). I hope Kino considers releasing it one day.

Kino Insider,

Would you guys ever consider releasing The Suspect (1944) and Christmas Holiday (1944), both directed by Robert Siodmak, should you guys do another deal with Universal?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
One of the best but most neglected Gary Cooper 30s film is City Streets (1931). I hope Kino considers releasing it one day.

Kino Insider,

Would you guys ever consider releasing The Suspect (1944) and Christmas Holiday (1944), both directed by Robert Siodmak, should you guys do another deal with Universal?

Great question about THE SUSPECT, a terrific film with canny performance by Charles Laughton.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's Warner Brothers I think and thus something they'd release in-house, but the Gary Cooper film I most want to see on Blu-Ray is the Pride of the Yankees.

It also would also get out on Blu-Ray all of my favorite Teresa Wright films (I'm not a big fan of The Little Foxes, which is another obvious absence on Blu-Ray for many people that love films of this era).

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
It's Warner Brothers I think and thus something they'd release in-house, but the Gary Cooper film I most want to see on Blu-Ray is the Pride of the Yankees.

It also would also get all my favorite Teresa Wright films, out on the Blu-Ray format (I'm not a big fan of The Little Foxes, which is another obvious absence on Blu-Ray for many people that love films of this era).

Warner Archieves has many many Gary Cooper titles now that they picked up mgm/Samuel Goodwin distribution. So far they have only released on blu ray 2 titles that have always been owned by them the hanging tree and love in the afternoon. I am surprised they never released sergeant york or friendly persuasion on blu ray. Friendly persuasion was one of the first dvd titles released back in 1998 but currently they seem content to keep-releasing every couple of years the same old transfer on dvd from 1998. I have no idea what they plan on doing with their mgm/Samuel Goodwin titles as they are very slow at releasing classic movies these days.

At least there is hope now with the universal (originally paramount titles) that kino now has a deal going.

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 10th!

Blue Collar (1978) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary with Co-Writer/Director Paul Schrader and Journalist Maitland McDonagh
• Theatrical Trailer

Whatever Became of the “American Dream”? From Paul Schrader, the legendary director of Hardcore, American Gigolo, Cat People and Light Sleeper! When Detroit auto workers Zeke (Richard Pryor, Bustin’ Loose), Jerry (Harvey Keitel, Bad Lieutenant) and Smokey (Yaphet Kotto, Truck Turner) find bills piling up and pressures bearing down, they decide to rob their corrupt union office. In a cruel twist, their small haul becomes a nightmare when the heist goes horribly wrong and their once loyal friendship turns to fear, betrayal and murder. Co-writer/director Paul Schrader showcases the dark side of the American working class, creating a brutal vision of the low wage and huge debt that traps workers between big industry and big labor. Co-written by Leonard Schrader (Old Boyfriends, Kiss of the Spider Woman).

738329239008.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I'm also looking forward to the Gary Cooper titles!!! I just wish that somehow peter ibbetson could get squeezed in somehow which is in my top 5 Gary Cooper favorites. High Noon is number 1 and sergeant York is number 2.

I agree 100 percent on Peter ibbetson.

Sorry, but we have no plans of releasing Peter Ibbetson.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Kino Insider, Would you guys ever consider releasing The Suspect (1944) and Christmas Holiday (1944), both directed by Robert Siodmak, should you guys do another deal with Universal?

Great question about THE SUSPECT, a terrific film with canny performance by Charles Laughton.

We asked for City Streets (1931) when were negotiating the first deal, it was not available, either due to legal issues or with another label. We also asked for these other two and they were not available. Christmas Holiday (1944) is not available due to some legal issues.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 10th!

Iceman (1984) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Fred Schepisi
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From Fred Schepisi, the director of The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, Barbarosa, A Cry in the Dark and Six Degrees of Separation comes an amazing, unforgettable journey of humanity. Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), John Lone (The Last Emperor) and Lindsay Crouse (House of Games) star in this suspenseful drama about a team of Arctic researchers who find a 40,000 year-old man frozen in ice and bring him back to life. Anthropologist Stanley Shephard (Hutton) wants to befriend the Iceman (Lone) and learn about the man's past; Dr. Diane Brady (Crouse) and her surgical team want to discover the secret that will allow man to live in a frozen state. When the Iceman becomes part of their lives, the results are both moving and emotionally shattering. Beautifully shot on location in Canada's breathtaking snowy wilderness by Ian Baker (Plenty, Roxanne). The strong supporting cast includes David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck.), Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon), Josef Sommer (Witness) and James Tolkan (Back to the Future).

738329238261.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 3rd!

Stick (1985) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Behind-the-Scenes/Promotional Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 109 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Screen legend Burt Reynolds (Gator, Fuzz, Malone) stars in and directs Stick, a fast-paced thriller co-starring Candice Bergen (The Hunting Party), George Segal (Where’s Poppa?) and Charles Durning (True Confessions). Ernest "Stick" Stickley is an ex-con who's trying to stay clean on the rough streets of Miami. When his former cellmate is murdered during an illicit payoff, Stick finds himself at the center of a high-class criminal circle whose members include a nervous drug kingpin, a shady film producer, and a stock market whiz with his own gorgeous financial adviser. Screenplay by Elmore Leonard (52 Pick-Up) and Joseph Stinson (Sudden Impact), based on Leonard’s bestselling novel. Legendary stuntman Dar Robinson (Sharkey’s Machine) play Moke, a menacing psychotic albino. Stick blends cons an con artists into a suspenseful tall tale of creative swindling.

Stick.jpg

Iceman is such a beautiful movie. I remember reading Roger Ebert's 4-star review in the Sun-Times when the movie came out, and I'm glad it convinced me to see it because it's been an enduring favorite of mine since then.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 10th from Scorpion Releasing!

Inside Moves (1980) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2019 HD Master
• NEW On-camera Interview with Director Richard Donner
• NEW On-camera Interview with Star John Savage
• Theatrical Trailer

(1980) Color 113 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Directed by Richard Donner (Superman, Lethal Weapon, Ladyhawke, The Goonies, The Omen) and featuring an Oscar-nominated performance by Diana Scarwid, (Psycho 3, Strange Invaders), Inside Moves tells the inspiring story of Roary (John Savage, Hotel Colonial, The Deer Hunter, Hair), a former sports star left crippled by a failed suicide attempt. Hanging out in a neighborhood bar full of colorful misfits, Roary forges an unforgettable bond with the bartender, Jerry (David Morse, The Indian Runner, St. Elsewhere, Desperate Hours), an injured basketball player. Together with the rest of the bar regulars, Roary sets out to help Jerry triumph over adversity and fulfill his potential, in this powerful celebration of the human spirit. Also starring Academy Award winner Harold Russell (The Best Years of Our Lives).

Distributed by Kino Lorber!

738329242213.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks