What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (31 Viewers)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sunday’s announcement

Coming 2020!
Brand New 4K Restoration!

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)

Starring Edward Judd, Janet Munro & Leo McKern – Shot by Harry Waxman (The Wicker Man, Endless Night) – Music by Stanley Black (War-Gods of the Deep, The Girl-Getters) – Co-Written, Produced and Directed by Val Guest (The Quatermass Xperiment, The Abominable Snowman).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!
Brand New 4K Restoration!

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) Starring Edward Judd, Janet Munro & Leo McKern – Shot by Harry Waxman (The Wicker Man, Endless Night) – Music by Stanley Black (War-Gods of the Deep, The Girl-Getters) – Co-Written, Produced and Directed by Val Guest (The Quatermass Xperiment, The Abominable Snowman).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am assuming (?) you will include the Val Guest commentary from the UK release. I have that, and it looks very nice. I'd buy yours if it had other interesting bonus features.

Incidentally, if this sort of thing makes a difference to anyone, the gorgeous Janet Munro did a practically- topless scene in this that was edited out of many t.v. showings, and maybe even theatrical prints.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder how The Day the Earth Caught Fire will compare with the old(ish) BFI release? It looked very nice, I don't have it now, I lent it to a friend (who I've never seen since). A very good movie.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
This gets a 4K? Well, okay...Kino turns movies out at such a rate that I guess I can't criticize their (or the studio's) choice of what gets this treatment. Haven't seen the film, but it looks like MST3K fodder to me.

It is indeed, Dick. 4K for this is polishing a turd. But you, I and others are in agreement that Kino has been epic in what it has accomplished for classic-film fans (not to mention 3D fans), so the occasional turd is more than forgiven. (And if by some chance They Came from Beyond Space had been shot in 3D and Kino were releasing it in that format, I'd be the first to buy! :))

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder how The Day the Earth Caught Fire will compare with the old(ish) BFI release? It looked very nice, I don't have it now, I lent it to a friend (who I've never seen since). A very good movie.

Actually, thinking about it, the 2014 BFI release was a 4k restoration, so I'd think this is a region A release of that transfer. Nothing wrong with that, as it looks great. The film works a treat, but Edward Judd's angry young(ish) man wears a bit thin. For a while it looked like Judd could be a leading man, but his career sort of petered out (who'd be an actor). Plus an uncredited Michael Caine as a policeman a couple of years before Zulu arrived (that's a little game in late fifties, early sixties British films...spot the tiny rolls of Michael Caine & Oliver Reed).

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I think that's more of a studio decision than Kino as to which titles get 4K restorations.

Yes and no. Sometime we demand it and other times the studio.

We acquired the film and it needed to be remastered in HD. All new StudioCanal masters going ahead will be 4K, so that's why this is 4K. We would've been happy with a new HD or 2K master.

Christopher McG

Stunt Coordinator
Hello KL Insider!

Will The Day the Earth Caught Fire Blu-Ray have the Val Guest/Ted Newsom commentary track from the Studio Canal/Anchor Bay DVD?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
In the UK this is regarded as a Classic British movie and is very highly rated . Nothing less than 4K would be acceptable in it's Bluray release. Thank you Kino .
I'm not British, but I find it pretty hard to believe that They Came From Beyond Space is considered a classic there, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't have any hard data to quote, but based on anecdotal observations on how quickly catalog horror/sci-fi titles sell out at Twilight Time compared to other non-genre releases, these titles probably sell considerably more copies for the distributors than many non-genre titles.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray September 24th from Kino Lorber and GKIDS!

THIS MAGNIFICENT CAKE!
A film by Marc James Roels & Emma De Swaef

"My favorite film of the year."
-Barry Jenkins, director of Moonlight and If Beale Street Could Talk

THIS MAGNIFICENT CAKE! is an unforgettable work of stop-motion animation exploring the bitter milieu of Belgium-occupied Congo.

Special features:
*Behind-the-scenes gallery
*Interview with Marc James Roels
*THE BURDEN (2017, a short film by Niki Lindroth von Bahr)
*OH WILLY... (2012, a short film by Emma De Swaef & Marc James Roels

ThisMagnificentCake_BR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks