What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Hope this is the Roadshow version with the beautiful and stirring Overture.

Was the overture present on the print from which UCLA extracted the uncut audio? I ask because unless it was on there I doubt it will be on Kino’s Blu-ray of the film. However, someone actually re-recorded the overture a few years ago (if only someone could record the full score) and the recording was posted online here:

http://www.hugofriedhofer.runmovies.eu/?p=673

tledford

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Unfortunately, both Curse of the Faceless Man and The Magnetic Monster were not good sellers and one of them had an existing HD master. Both Konga and The Flame Barrier would need new HD transfers.
Hey, at least I bought both Curse of the Faceless Man and The Magnetic Monster! Would probably pop for Konga, too, I'm embarrassed to say, it's hilarious!

But I understand (and want!) you guys to be in business forever, so do what makes sense!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon! First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master From a 4K Scan By Paramount Picture Archives!

The Last Command (1955)

Starring Sterling Hayden, Ernest Borgnine, Anna Maria Alberghetti, Richard Carlson, Arthur Hunnicutt, J. Carrol Naish, Ben Cooper, John Russell, Virginia Grey, Jim Davis, Eduard Franz, Otto Kruger, Russell Simpson, Roy Roberts and Slim Pickens
Screenplay by Warren Duff (Each Dawn I Die)
Story by Sy Bartlett (13 Rue Madeleine)
Cinematography by Jack A. Marta (Duel, Framed)
Music by Max Steiner (Casablanca)
Directed by Frank Lloyd (Mutiny on the Bounty)

the-last-command_4b38dd02.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The Last Command (1955)

Starring Sterling Hayden, Ernest Borgnine, Anna Maria Alberghetti, Richard Carlson, Arthur Hunnicutt, J. Carrol Naish, Ben Cooper, John Russell, Virginia Grey, Jim Davis, Eduard Franz, Otto Kruger, Russell Simpson, Roy Roberts and Slim Pickens

View attachment 43584
Finally, I can have this on disc! One of my all-time favorite films in my childhood. Great job, Kino! Sterling Hayden as Jim Bowie, Hunnicutt as Davy Crockett and Carlson as Travis.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Awesome news! I love this film. Kind of the spiritual ancestor to the Alamo... :)
It is, Borgnine's character also stood out with me and his relationship with Bowie.

Man, I'm so excited I almost pee my pants.;) This title is one of my holy grail's that I've been waiting on for over 20 years to own on disc.

Last edited:

PGB

Agent
Real Name
Geoffrey Blowers

The Last Command (1955)

View attachment 43584
I saw this as a kid on it's first run in the mid fifties. So very glad that KL is able to bring it out restored in 4K

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Any chance we could get a release of STAR! starring Julie Andrews - long overdue and underrated Fox musical that needs to be revisited. Pretty please!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Awesome news on The Last Command. I had given up hope on that one. I really wish Kino would consider releasing an HD scan with some cleanup of the existing Roadshow version of the Alamo. I think most know the story of this by now and why a full restoration would be very expensive and unlikely at this point. So while it wouldn't be perfect it would be many times better than the existing Laserdisc version or copies of that on DVD. That is probably my number one most wanted title on blu now. But definitely only the Roadshow version. The theatrical as a bonus would be nice but I have never been able to watch that version anymore after seeing the Roadshow version. It just fills in all the holes that the theatrical version created.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Comments from Robert Harris on The Alamo:

The long version can, more or less, be affected as was Mad World, with some additional upgrade.

The short version, which would serve as the basis, and which would stand on its own is in dire straights.

No reason not to make this known.

A couple of months ago I sent a personal note to Mr. Barber, requesting his cooperation.

There seems to be zero interest in allowing the film to be saved. They seem set to see the film destroyed.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Comments from Robert Harris on The Alamo:

The long version can, more or less, be affected as was Mad World, with some additional upgrade.

The short version, which would serve as the basis, and which would stand on its own is in dire straights.

No reason not to make this known.

A couple of months ago I sent a personal note to Mr. Barber, requesting his cooperation.

There seems to be zero interest in allowing the film to be saved. They seem set to see the film destroyed.
Yes the fact that MGM has no interest in restoring this film is maddening. But there is a HD version of the Theatrical on TCM and streaming and an HD version on TCM of the roadshow. Obviously just HD scans of the existing master. But as I mentioned this HD scan of the Roadshow version with a little cleanup would look not great but acceptable on Blu Ray. It would be a big improvement over what we currently have and is more than likely the best we can ever hope for.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Brand New HD Master from a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Safety B&W Negative by Paramount Pictures Archives!

From the director of Daredevils of the Red Circle, Sunset in the West and Adventures of Captain Marvel.

A Strange Adventure (1956 Film Noir)
Starring Joan Evans, Ben Cooper, Marla English, Jan Merlin and Nick Adams
Shot by Bud Thackery (Coogan's Bluff)
Directed by William Witney

p39950_p_v8_aa.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
3/6 Topaze (1933) | A Fistful of Dynamite 3/13 A Lion in Winter (4K Restoration) | Running Wild (2K) | It's the Old Army Game (2K) 3/20 No Orchids for Miss Blandish | Highway Dragnet | Stingaree 3/27 Joan of Arc (2K) | The Outer Limits (Seasons 1) | The Soldier 4/3 to be announced 4/10 Manhandled (2K) | Stage Struck (2K) | Luther (2K) and more 4/17 to be announced 4/24 The Maze (4K) (3-D) | Trapeze | Ruby Gentry | A Woman's Devotion (4K) | Holy Mountain | Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017 Zeitgeist) | The DogFather (17 Cartoons) | MisterJaw (34 Cartoons)

Coming Soon:
The Big Country | Big Trouble | The Day After | The Farmer's Daughter (4K) | A Fistful of Dollars (4K) | For a Few Dollars More (4K) | The Grissom Gang (4K) | Irma La Douce (4K) | Jack the Giant Killer | The Killing of Sister George (4K) | Kundun | A Lady Takes a Chance (4K) | The Last Command (4K) | The Legend of Hillbilly John | A Man Alone (4K) | The Martian Chronicles | Miracles | The Night Stalker (4K) | The Night Strangler (4K) | Old Ironsides (2K) | The Outer Limits (Seasons 2) | Pink Panther Cartoons Volumes 2-6 | The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (4K) | Sangaree (4K/2K) (3-D) | Special Delivery (4K) | The Spiral Staircase (4K) | A Strange Adventure (4K) | Trilogy of Terror (4K) | What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice (4K) | The Woman in the Window

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

The Last Command (1955)

View attachment 43584
Sterling Hayden looks like Richard Widmark in this poster

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks