What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (17 Viewers)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Coming March 26th on Blu-ray!

The Tarnished Angels (1958) with optional English subtitles
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Imogen Sara Smith
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 91 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Set in the 1930s Depression era during Mardi Gras in New Orleans, The Tarnished Angels covers three days in the lives of a trio of flying-circus performers, headlined by former WWI fighter-pilot hero Roger Shumann (Robert Stack, Bwana Devil) and his beautiful blonde wife, LaVerne (Dorothy Malone, The Last Sunset). Romantic complications arise when newspaper reporter Burke Devlin (Rock Hudson, Blindfold) falls in love with LaVerne while covering their daredevil aerial show. Legendary filmmaker Douglas Sirk (Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, Written on the Wind, Imitation of Life) directed this masterpiece based on a novel by William Faulkner (The Reivers), adapted for the screen by George Zuckerman (99 River Street).

View attachment 53947

In CinemaScope!
tta.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Speaking of Universal restorations, I remember that they had restored or were in the process of restoring the Henry Aldrich series a few years ago. I'm wondering if Kino managed to acquire any of the titles for release as part of the deal with Universal.

Sorry, but we have no plans of releasing any of the Henry Aldrich titles.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Just a couple odd questions relating more to the silent classics part of the Kino library. I wonder if there might be any plans to obtain and release the beautifully restored 1914 Cabiria now housed at the National Museum of Cinema in Turin Italy? Kino released the earlier version as a DVD some years ago. The restored version, which played at the 2006 Cannes Festival, was a sensation. Also, a new Murnau-Stiftung blu ray set from Germany includes restorations of Zapatas Bande (1914) Als ich tot war (1915) Asphalt (1929) Viktor und Viktoria (1933) Romanze in Moll (1943) and Madeleine und der Legionär (1957). Might all or any of these be possibilities for future Kino releases?

We have no plans of releasing any of these, but are interested in a few if and when they become available to us.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
We have four or five 40s and 50s westerns in our Universal deal.

Great! Hopefully we see a rarity or two among those released. I realize you have to release some warhorses as well so as to be sure and turn a good profit, but last year I was spoiled with those nifty Roy Rogers films.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
We have no plans of releasing any of these, but are interested in a few if and when they become available to us.

I wrote to the National Museum of Cinema in Turin a year ago and got a reply which stated "Unfortunately, at the moment the release of Cabiria is still among our future ambitious projects" from:
Daniele Tinti
Coordinator
National Museum of Cinema
Fondazione Maria Adriana Prolo
22 Via Montebello - 10124 Torino (Italy)
Ph. +39 011 8138505-503
Fax +39 011 8138506
She would be the contact person as far as the status or availability of the restored Cabiria goes. I do so hope and pray that this may someday be a fabulous Kino release. Here's what Roger Ebert had to say about it: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-cabiria-1914.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Since some unannounced titles were leaked, we would like to explains our plans for the 9 Hitchcock titles we’ll be releasing.

The Ring (1927), The Farmer’s Wife (1928), Champagne (1928), The Manxman (1929), The Skin Game (1931) and Rich and Strange (1931) will be released as a 6-Film Boxed Set on DVD and Blu-ray.

The following three will receive stand-alone special edition releases on DVD and Blu-ray:
Blackmail (1929)
Murder! (1930)
Number Seventeen (1932)

Happy Holidays!
View attachment 53526

so completely stoked for this, any ideas on release date for the box, and one more question, would kino consider releasing another classic TV series on blu, ?

alfred_hitchcock_silhouette.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Kino Insider,
Any chance of the 4 movies The Ritz Brothers did for Universal? None were ever released on VHS, Laserdisc and only 1 had a Mod DVD release.:

Argentine Nights (1940)
Behind the 8 Ball (1942) (Mod DVD)
Hiya Chum (1943)
Never a Dull Moment (1943)

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
No more serial for a while. Daredevils of the Red Circle had never been out and one of the best serials ever and it did not sell well.

Adventures of Captain Marvel sold very well, but that's not a surprise.

Well, Daredevils was on Republic VHS for years. Also, while it's a great serial, it's not as recognizable to modern audiences. The comic book adaptions from Republic would, of course, sell much better. So yeah, it's no surprise Captain Marvel did well. In fact, the only shame is that you probably couldn't get Captain America from Paramount due to it being Marvel since that would really sell well.

The other problem with Daredevils is that it was bootlegged for years and sad to say, there are serial fans who are notoriously lazy about buying what they already have in what they perceive as good copies. Artisan, believe it or not, ran into this in 2001 when they put Captain Marvel out. Then again, the Artisan Captain Marvel wasn't as well done as yours.

Thing about The Jungle Mystery is that it's never been available in any format ever. Not even the bootleggers have that one. So that may catch the attention of serial fans if you put it out.

Though I do agree that The Crimson Ghost would have greater crossover appeal. Also, Olive seems to have hit on something by putting out the sci-fi titles. Olive put out pretty crappy ones so if Kino put out something like Haunted Harbor or Purple Monster Strikes they might have better luck.

For the record, I have both serials Kino put out and will be picking up Les Vampyres later. Speaking of the silents, any chance of the Houdini set coming back into print?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks