What's new

King Kong Extended Edition: Nov. 14th (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else surprised how little excitement this set's generated? It's one of the best DVDs of the year yet hardly anyone seems to care...

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I wasn't going to get this, but after I read how serious the supplements are and that they are of the LOTR EE quality, I will definitely get it.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
Thanks for the reviews folks. I'm going to pick this one up after work today. I'm glad I held off on buying the first release.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Rick Baker, Frank Darabont and Peter Jackson were in the bi-planes shooting down Kong at the films climax though it's impossible to recognise them, especially Jackson who was cleanshaven for the part. Fans of preproduction art will find a plethora of King Kong artwork on the 3rd disc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm excited for this release. I just can't pick it up at the moment. :)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
For me, the most interesting thing about the extended and deleted scenes that weren't included in the 13 minutes cut back into the film, was the fact that they virtually all (if not all) would have altered the continuity of the film. Like the shorter alternate first meeting between Driscoll and Ann - in the movie she has this stupid foot-in-mouth moment mistaking the sound recordist for Driscoll. The alternate has Driscoll dissing Ann before he meets her, only to open a door to come face to face with her (and wind up with his dripping metaphoric egg).

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad I bought the theatrical cut because the new scenes put back into to film are stupid. They don't add anything and just make it even longer.
-The triceratops scene spoils the big dinosaur reveal before the bronto chase.
-The raft scene is okay, but its even more un-believable than the bronto chase.
-That wierd ostritch-dinosaur thing was confusing.
-The extension at the end of the spider pit was use less. The movie doesn't need more Jimmy/token black guy stuff, and what the hell did Jack Black say? Something about colour movies!?! In 1933?!?
-The world doesn't need another full metal jacket reference.
None of the new scenes are very good, they're only okay. The movie is better without them.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As for Lucas on Jurassic Park, there are location photos of him there supervising sequences. He probably came in towards the tail end as Spielberg was starting principal photography on Schindler's in Europe, and might have been on the phone to Lucas to guide him. Who knows.

Anyway, as for the reference to color films in a movie taking place in 1933, there had always been work on color photography and cinematography from the early stages of the technology. When they couldn't do color and the director wanted certain scenes or effects with it sometimes a lab technician would hand paint color onto the negatives one frame at a time. It's not unreasonable that Denham would have said something to that effect.

Dan

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'll get it if it ever makes it to HD-DVD ( I have'nt even watched that version yet)

stevenHa

Second Unit
Overall I like this release but I was slightly bothered by the fact that the movie obviously couldn't fit on one DVD so it spoiled the continuity for me (but worth it for the video quality). I felt the deleted jungle scenes were much more needed than the plodding opening NYC sequence. On the other hand I was bothered by the behind the scene docs as I was hoping they would be more detailed and reveal a lot more (such as the model making). There was much more info on Peter's documentary for the 1933 King Kong dvd than on this. Since I'm not into the Lord of the Rings, I was wondering if people who have seen these could comment on how the behind the scenes doc's differ from King Kong EE.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
One deleted scene that would have worked better is the Army vs. Kong one.

I'm guessing most of the effects weren't finished (see the deleted scenes as an example) and they only had so much money to work with.

Let's face it, Universal wasn't going to give Jackson the same type of leeway he had with LOTR.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Two strip Technicolor was in use in the early thirties, and several films were released in that process(including two with Fay Wray, DOCTOR X and MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM).

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

......AND was buried at BB as well......had to really search it out but there were a couple of copies at GROUND level.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks