What's new

King Crimson (1 Viewer)

Wilson W

Agent
King Crimson will be playing in my city next month.

Ticket is expensive so I would like to know if anyone had been to other shows on this tour and what do they think.

I haven't even bought the new CD. I have vroom and like that quite a bit, how's the new one? Same lineup? Similar sound?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wilson,

I saw Crimson on their last couple of tours. It's definitely worth it.

The VROOM lineup was a flash-in-the-pan deal with 6 members. The current lineup is 4- no Bruford and Levin.

The new CD is not out yet- that comes out March 4th. The most recent full-length Crimson album is The ConstrucKtion of Light. They also released an EP a few months ago called Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With. These recordings should give you a better idea of what they sound like now.

Obsessed Crim fanatics like myself have been picking up live and collector's club releases and seeing them perform new music live, so while I of course haven't heard the new album per say, I'm already familiar with much of the material. Level Five, for example, is a beast- dense, dark, and brilliant.

Wilson W

Agent
Mike,

I've heard ConstrucKtion of Light and while it was not bad, I wasn't too impressed.

How does Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With sound like? I suppose the new album and tour is in the same vein as the new single. King Crimson have new sound frequently and there's no telling where they'd go this time.

CarlP

Agent
I like the new material. Hearing Happy With What... and Eyes wide open live would be incredible! Please no complaining about ticket price, KC is NOT coming to the Twin Cities and I might need to do a road trip...

NP (still!) KC club 21 Champaign Sessions

Also, it comes down to what you value. An incredible show you can take to your grave or $50 in your checking acct???

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to see them on March 4 at the Birchmere in Alexandia, VA. I like their latest studio stuff a lot.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had Construkction of Light too. Not impressed as well. People might disagree, but I think they miss Bill Bruford.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Different drummers with different drumming styles for different music. Bill Bruford simply could not pull off the type of sound Crim is going for now.

Besides, it leaves him free to lead his excellent Earthworks band.

Though I love ConstrucKtion of Light, I feel it has three weaknesses:

1. Production value
The sound quality is simply not at the high level of production the Crim has usually excelled at. This may be because they produced it themselves, falling into the same trap that Primus and Metallica did when they opted to leave out a producer.

2. ProzaKc Blues
This is personal taste, and a lot of folks like this tune, but I just never got into it. I don't think the "blues" voice is funny, it just bothers me.

3. Revisiting old material (Lark's Tongue and Fracture)
I actually think this is great, but some folks think they are repeating themselves. Actually, they are not, since they are only using a couple of themes, not simply re-arranging old pieces, but I could see how it may look to the casual listener.
But then again, I happen to think that those two tracks, as well as the title track, are the best Crim music since 1981.

I highly recommend checking out the Heavy ConstruKction 3 CD box set. Most of ConstruKction of Light is played. The performances are more energetic and the sound is better. King Crimson has always been a live band primarily, and hearing them live, even if only on CD, is the best way to experience their music.

Happy With... is a fun listen, but does not realise the full potential of the kind of music the band has been creating. While this version of Lark's Tongue IV is better than the CoL version (no lyrics at the end, strong lead playing), it still is just that- another version of a previously released piece. Potatie Pie is a nice song but a kind of a throw-away and more fun for the hardcore fan. Eyes Wide Open is really cool.

The new album will include Level Five and Dangerous Curves, two brilliant pieces that they've already been playing live and have released on the the tour CD Level Five, which is a much stronger EP than Happy With..., will be on Power To Believe. They alone make the new album worth it if you haven't heard them.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
btw i got the new cd today[for free no less]and it is indeed one of their best to date

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Pat has also played for Cock Robin, Mr. Mister and XTC. He has been around. Hell, he played for The Rembrandts (not on the Friends theme though, but almost everything else)!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Pat has been a studio drummer for many bands. He is 100% absolutely top notch, and extremely entertaining to watch live.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
KevinJ, how did you get the CD so early? Care to elaborate a bit on what you're hearing?

NP: King Crimson Collector's Club #7: ProjecKt 4, live in San Francisco

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Somebody on the Elephant Talk (big King Crimson mailing list) said weeks ago that the new album was all over WinMX.

Well, that's what they said.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i went to a local wherehouse music store near where i work that is going out of business.they were giving away promo cd's and i just happened to get the new king crimson cd...end of story

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just passing this on from a friend of mine. He's got two extra tickets for tonight's show at The Birchmere in Virginia. Contact me if you are interested:

i'll be there around 5 when the doors to the outer room open, and hanging out at the bar, probably with a laptop computer turned on. the buyer would need to get there by 6, as i don't want to miss getting a halfway decent seat (unless you're there by then) when the inner doors open.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, it ended up not mattering a whole lot.

First, the disappointments.

1) Adrian was sick, so there was no King Crimson performance. Instead, we
got a impromptu performance by Projekct Three. Not a total loss, but I was
hoping to see Crimson in an intimate setting.

2) No Crimson CDs for sale. You'd think that the band would want to get the
latest CDs into fan's hands, but no luck. Just a few Mastelotto and Gunn
projects and that was it.

3) The guy in the front with the wheelchair who had to leave towards the
end. I'm sorry, but during a concert at The Birchmere, there is barely
enough room to walk, much less manover a wheelchair. Probably should have
been closer to an aisle.

Other than that, I had a great time tonight. Lots of interesting improv all
over the place for about an hour. Then they came back and did Vroom Vroom
as an encore. Then they answered questions for about a half hour. Someone
was able to convince Fripp to play Fractured during this time, which was
quite entertaining, especially for Gunn and Mastelotto, who were watching in
great amusement.

Even with the problems, it was a full house and I don't think anyone there
was disappointed.

Jason

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

Wow, that is harsh. I suspect they'll try to make sure they come back the next time they can.

I saw the debut performance of Projekct Two in Nashville. I was crammed in front of the stage, 5 feet from Robert and Trey. Bumped into Robert changing shirts in the bathroom as there was no dressing room! Was fun, but that lineup is my least favorite of the Projekcts.

Did they offer a partial refund?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Though it sucks that you missed out on Adrian performing, I'm actually a bit jealous- that seems like it was a lot of fun, and a lot more interactive than they usually are.

I await impatiently for Wednesday to come...

NP: King Crimson Collector's Club #19, Nashville, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks