What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ If I were King – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In a career that covered forty years, Ronald Colman appeared in over fifty films.

If I Were King, released in 1938 dead center, during a quite extraordinary period between 1935 and 1942, during which he appeared in A Tale of Two Cities, Under Two Flags, Lost Horizon, The Prisoner of Zenda and The Talk of the Town.

If I Were King was the second time around for Justin Huntly McCarthy's The Vagabond King. It was originally filmed in 1930, and would be again in 1956 - both as musicals.

As Colman films go, I'd call it B level, but a very good film regardless. Originally a Paramount production, Universal holds only dupes. This one looks quite nice for a film of that era.

Directed by Frank Lloyd with a screenplay by Preston Sturges, it holds up nicely.

Imagery has a pleasant gray scale and is in generally good condition. No major problems.

For those tracking, and collecting Mr. Colman's films, this is a nice surprise from Kino.

Look for some of the older actors, who show up here, as well as some young faces -

Darryl Hickman, Brandon Hurst, Henry Brandon, William Farm, Montagu Love, John Milan, Sidney Toler (before he received his detective license), and Henry Wilcoxon.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks