What's new

kind of a poll, (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
im not looking for explanations and definitely not arguments. I am asking everyone to please just answer A, B, or C..

this is just for 2 channel, assume for digital source, and its your money, so it can be either tube or solid or hybrid or digital or whatnot

which would you rather have

A) any preamp up to $5k and any amp(s) up to $2k (total)

or

B) any preamp up to $2k and any 2 channel amp(s) up to $5k (total)

or

C) $7k integrated amp

I am not sure which I would do. I am trying to gauge if most people think preamp or amp is more important. I don't want this to turn into an argument, so i am just asking for votes.

thanks,
Rich

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would vote for A), not because I don't think there are some great integrated amps, but because I would want the amp seperate for future flexibilty.
Good luck :)

Incidently, are you going to upgrade your speakers, as well(not that the 600 series B&W's aren't good)or are you just asking hypothetically? There are obviously alot of variables.

DJ

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
i would upgrade my speakers well before I spent 7k on a front end.

havent decided what i am going to do with my system yet...

Rich

gregD

Second Unit
Amen to speakers first.

I vote A) . . . pre over power... strictly a personal preference.

But at $7k, there are plenty of upscale integrateds that would beg an audition.

Depending on the speakers of course!

Yogi

Screenwriter
Its a trick question that I am not going to fall for.:)

But if you put a gun to my head I would say its A or B depending on your system. They are both equally important. The pre is important in how it resolves the signals from the source and the amp is important in how well it mates with your speakers. A great pre with a lousy amp will make as bad a system as a lousy pre with a great amp. I have heard both types of systems.

MHO, ofcourse.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If it's for 2 ch only, I say you don't have to spend that much money for a good quality analog preamp. But I would still more lean to $3500 + $3500.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i would do B without question. for your speakers, a good amp is VERY important. plus, when you move up, the amp will be still very good. for $2k you can get one hell of a pre-amp too, since we are talking 2-channel. but with only $2k for amps, it really limits options for good stuff.

thats only an answer to the question though, nothing else. i would personally allocate the money in the speakers.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
i want to say this is not for my system...

my speakers are not the model for this...

i just want to see if people think a pre is more important or an amp...

i chose $2k, because in both cases there are lots of options that are considered good...

the integrated would be a really highend pre...

so i wanted to see what people think

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks