What's new

Kidnapped girl escapes her "Master" and returns home after 8 years (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wow, that's a new one.

The silver lining is the guy went ahead and killed himself, so no expensive trials or long jail terms required. What a sicko...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, I would have prefered he got a taste of his own medicine, life in prison, a good portion of it in solitary confinement.

--
H

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah. This is one of those situations where I would not mind tax dollars being spent giving this guy prison time (I assume tax money is spent on prisons in Austria). He got the easy way out. This girls gets no restitution.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I suppose it's a question worth asking.

I would like to think those are just aberrations of the most horrible kind. But both articles sure ask a lot of pointed, cultural questions.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I must have missed this thread originally, but on reading about the latest Austrian case of 73-yr old father imprisoning his own daughter for 24 years -- how on earth did his wife not know?? -- I was thinking of the Law & Order SVU episode when Olivia was still undercover somewhere in Oregon (or WA?) and helped 'recover' such an abductee. At the time I watched that ep I didn't realise it was another 'ripped from the headlines' plot.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
They need to lock her up for stupidity of dangerous proportions. She has utterly failed her daughter.

--
H

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Holadem, I think we need to see all the facts of the case first. I sat through the press conference yesterday and the police were at pains to point out that: (1) the basement prison was so well hidden that it took the police two hours to get in even when they knew what they were looking for; (2) the mother was convinced the daughter had run away, so she had no reason to look and in any case the arrival of babies may have convinced her that the daughter was alive, just living elsewhere; (3) by all accounts the accused was a bit of a tyrant with everyone which detered a lot of prying. It is thus perfectly possible the mother didn't know the daughter was in the house (which in any case was a fairly large property divided into apartments - it wasn't like the basement was right underneath the woman's kitchen and living room in a small house).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Crazy. That other Austrian story still has my head spinning. Now here's THIS story. That poor girl...8 years old! At least the freak didn't kill her and now she's free. But there will be a lot of years of therapy. :frowning:

On the bright side, if you've been sitting on your sicko thriller novel along these lines it would be the perfect time to send it to the publisher. I wish I had the frame of mind right now to throw one down.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

A former lodger who had lived in the apartment directly over the basement said that in twenty years there he had never suspected a thing.

And as for denial, the other kids in the family grew up, left home and led normal lives. The tale spun to the mother that the daughter had run away is not that weird (there are enough runaways every day, alas, to support this argument). The fact that the father came back with babies the daughter had supposedly 'abandoned' was also proof enough that the daughter was alive. Why should the mother therefore be in denial? She had a very plausible and upsetting scenario about what her daughter was doing. And this is anything but denial.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
The mother now could be as screwed up as her daughter. Pretty sick stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks