What's new

Key Largo (1948) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ordered! with pleasure, come on WAC continue to surprise us monthly with announcements like this, two more Bogart/ Bacall films would be nice

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ordered! with pleasure, come on WAC continue to surprise us monthly with announcements like this, two more Bogart/ Bacall films would be nice
Na, too much of a good thing. Maybe a couple of Errol Flynn's for the next two b/w Archives, The Sea Hawk & They Died With Their Boots On. Meanwhile I'm going to enjoy these releases. A great start to the year.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Dr Griffin said:
Is that the same art from The Bogart Collection DVD?

No, actually. They went with the far superior layout derived from the top half the poster below cutting off right before Lionel Barrymore

key-largo.jpg

I guess they couldn't squeeze it well enough to use on the blu-ray so they opted for dusting off the old VHS cover art instead.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
SPOILERS FOLLOW, for any first time viewers.

What I love about Key Largo is that it is somewhat a noir, made under noirish influence -- but it totally turns it on its head and portrays a hope-filled universe that is worth fighting for. A seemingly cynical lead character is, in his heart, completely un-cynical, and uses the power of his words to defeat the antagonist's worldview before he defeats him physically.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Billy Batson said:
Na, too much of a good thing. Maybe a couple of Errol Flynn's for the next two b/w Archives, The Sea Hawk & They Died With Their Boots On. Meanwhile I'm going to enjoy these releases. A great start to the year.

Not going to change this to a wish list thread, but WB has so many great titles and stars that could see the light of day that is grossly underrepresented on blu ray; Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Kelly, Cary Grant, Betty Davis, Errol Flynn and that is just scratching the surface, so any announcements will be welcomed

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
dana martin said:

As would the few remaining Bogarts not in the Warner Archive - Two Against the World, Isle of Fury, Men Are Such Fools and Racket Busters.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
JoHud said:
JoHud, on 10 Jan 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

No, actually. They went with the far superior layout derived from the top half the poster below cutting off right before Lionel Barrymore

key-largo.jpg

I guess they couldn't squeeze it well enough to use on the blu-ray so they opted for dusting off the old VHS cover art instead.

What DVD collection is this from?

keylargodvd.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Doesn't look like any of the North American releases. Maybe UK or Australia?

Edit: Never mind. It's apparently one of several custom DVD cover art someone made for almost every Bogart film ever made.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
That's not a real cover, it's a custom-made one. The picture on the front has low-rez pixelation whereas the rest of the images do not.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
No, Warner used that art for the VHS release and perhaps one DVD release. It's been around for a while. It was just "borrowed" for the custom sleeve.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
JoHud said:
No, Warner used that art for the VHS release and perhaps one DVD release. It's been around for a while. It was just "borrowed" for the custom sleeve.

Yes, I read that earlier in the thread, I was just joking.

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
I THINK those idiots are changing the cover: from the beautiful blue one with Bogie and Bacall to ugly red cover that looks like it was meant to be horrible! I know BDs are not about covers but it woud be nice if THEY (covers) were awesome, too. DONT CHANGE THE COVER, first version is wonderful!

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
So, which cover will they use-the blue one with Bogie and Bacall or the ugly red one?

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
Sold!! One of Bogart's great films IMO and I hope WB did a great job on the transfer. I've got say though, just what in the HELL is up with that lousy cover art??? It looks like a 10 year old did it with Paint. Terrible.
Which cover did you mean? The blue one with Bogie and Bacall or the red one? I think the red one is terrible, just ugly, put together in 10 secondsd. The one with Bogie and Bacall is awesome and I certyinly hope they´ll go with this one.

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
...and if they dont go with the ˝VHS˝ cover, at least I hope they´ll use DVD cover instead-this red cover that is shown on Amazon-TERRIBLE!!!

P

Patrick Donahue

I think the red one is terrible, just ugly, put together in 10 secondsd. The one with Bogie and Bacall is awesome and I certyinly hope they´ll go with this one.

If you think it was put together in 10 secondsd, I'm afraid that crime was committed 68 years ago, because the blu-ray uses the film's original poster for its artwork. It happens to be a prime example of how movie advertisements of the era were and, as a film fan, I wouldn't have it any other way.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
If you think it was put together in 10 secondsd, I'm afraid that crime was committed 68 years ago, because the blu-ray uses the film's original poster for its artwork. It happens to be a prime example of how movie advertisements of the era were and, as a film fan, I wouldn't have it any other way.

View attachment 29249 View attachment 29250
I agree 100%... You completely missunderstood me...BTW, yes of course I know the cover uses movies´ original poster-LOL. I love posters of the era and WAC has the best covers out there-I wouldnt have it any other way either. I LOVE this poster, although I prefer the one that WB used for DVD. I didnt mean to say that the POSTER for the movie looks like it was made in 10 seconds, I meant to say that the COVER looks like it was re-made in 10 seconds-the way they cut Bogie´s, Bacall´s and Robinson´s bodies and just patch it up like a 5 year old kid would. If they put more patience and time in the remaking of the cover, it wouldnt hurt. I dont know - perhaps they could make the star´s names at the top smaller and leave more space fot the picture of the three actors etc... Besides, the ˝Warner Arhive collection˝ logo takes half of the cover-they could put it on the back or make it smaller (if its so neccesary for the logo to be there) and the covers would be nicer. BTW, BD cases have this weird square format that makes it really hard to fit original posters on the cover, since original posters are rectangular-DVD cases were perfect for that and WB had the best DVD covers. I like the covers where NOTHING is taken and NOTHING added-the Big Sleep cover is one of the best EVER. I also loved Passage To Marseille, Deep In My Heart (my favourite cover from WAC), Yankee Doodle Dandy, Possessed, Hit The Deck covers... The Wrong Man and I Confess are awesome, too... I had a problem with Picture Of Dorian Gray cover, especially those white letters that they moved from left side to the right-why was that neccesary, I dont know-perhaps to make the cover look very uneven and put all the visual elements on one side to make it look unattractive LOL... Murder, My Sweet cover was excellent... I hope they will correct this red cover, used VHS cover which was obviously the first option OR choose DVD cover instead... The current cover for Key Largo doesnt look like a cover but like a template for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks