What's new

Key Digital HD Leeza video scaler + HDMI - ??? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I am having huge problems with my scaler.

For some reason, whenever I try to adjust for HDCP, the image turns out a purple hue. I can connect just fine via Component.

And I can bypass the scaler altogether and go from my DVD player straight into my projector and it plays fine.

But as soon as I feed through the scaler and select HDMI according, my image goes screwy.

I think it might be a copyright software issue and I'm really frustrated because I spent thousands of dollars on this scaler and I never would have purchased it had I known it was not going to be HDMI/DVI compliant!

Can anyone please help?

I notice that Key Digital has an HDMI switcher for sale, it costs almost $1,000! Is this necessary to run HDMI and why would I need to purchase this on top of the scaler - shouldn't it be capable of doing both??

I'm going to be really frustrated if I find out I need to spend extra money like that in order to properly watch movies through HDMI output.

Any help would be really appreciated.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
1. Talk to the manufacturer. Also, read the owner's manual thoroughly.

2. You don't need an HDMI switcher unless you have more than one HDMI output which you need to connect to the same input.

3. It sounds like you are having a colourspace problem. Is there an option to change from Y/Pr/Pb to RGB, or something of that kind? If so, try it.

4. Aside from having incorrect colours, how does the picture look? What I mean to say is, can you read text, or see shapes, or that kind of thing? If the image is recognisable, in sync, and so on, then it's probably not the HDMI per se. One of the digital links in the cable being broken (the one carrying the Green signal) might also cause this problem ; have you tried another cable?

5. If you were having a problem with HDCP restrictions, you'd see no picture at all, or some kind of error message. One thing you wouldn't see is a picture in wrong colours.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Christopher.

The problem is, we tried switching from Y/Pr/Pb to RGB. We triple checked the colourspace. The cable shouldn't be an issue because when I connect directly from the DVD player into the projector, bypassing the scaler, it works just fine.

The image is otherwise normal. It's just that the screen is saturated in this purplish hue. Everything becomes monochromatic. Or else, if switching to the alternate (I believe) HDCP2, the screen just goes black, no image at all.

I assumed that it's some sort of copyright issue with the software, i.e. prevention from dubbing content as nobody is going to watch/pay for something that looks like a murky pastel of purple. That seems to be the only answer to me, but I could be wrong.

Why else would the HDMI pass directly to the pj without issue?

It's only when upconverting through the HDCP of the Leeza that the problem persists. Yet when I switch to SD Compnent, the image is fine.

So it seems to me that there is some sort of stupid software security measure at hand here.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I've never heard of any implementation of HDCP that worked like that. Of all the problems that people here have had using HDMI with upscaling DVD players, HD DVD or Blu-Ray players, cable boxes, you-name-it, that's never been one. Does the scaler generate an onscreen menu? If so, does that look normal, or does it also have the purple hue? You definitely need to contact the manufacturer — if it were an HDCP problem, you'd be unlikely to be the only one suffering from it. Is this the first time you've connected the scaler using HDMI, or was it working normally until recently? How long have you had it? Have you tried feeding it some other source than the DVD player? How are you connecting the DVD player to the scaler? It's possible that there is a bad chip somewhere which is not passing on the G data ; this would be a manufacturing defect, and ought to be covered under warranty. Try setting the scaler to output standard-definition, or some other resolution, via HDMI. It is possible that your display is not accepting the HD scanrate through the digital connexion. You indicate that your DVD player has an HDMI output ; what scanrate is it putting out? For example, you may be feeding 1080p to a device which doesn't accept it, but does accept 720p or 1080i. Alternatively, if you are feeding the scaler 1080i upconverted by the DVD player, it may be choking ; try switching to, say, 480p or 480i output. Alternatively, if you are feeding 480i via HDMI, since this is not exactly an official HDMI resolution, you may want to try something else, like 480p. In general, however, you want one component to do all the work. There's no sense doing the deinterlacing and scaling in different boxes, or half the scaling in one and half the scaling in the other. You ought to be feeding 480i from the DVD player to the scaler, for best results, and if you can't do that by HDMI you'll have to do it by component. I can't tell what your setup is like. Are you feeding the scaler HDMI from the DVD player, and the projector HDMI from the scaler? If so, have you checked BOTH cables by running them straight through from the DVD player to the projector? You indicate that you can run component from your DVD player to your scaler, and get an acceptable picture : am I wrong? If this is true, the answer could be something as trivial as a cold-solder joint on the HDMI input board. What happens when you switch colourspaces back and forth?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.