What's new

keeping receiver cool (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
i was wandering if everybody has a fan built in to their receiver or do you use a fan of some sort for keeping your receiver cool? seems to me like everyone likes to crank up their ht system, as well as i do but just not as loud as some people so i was just wandering if your receiver gets hot:angry: and do most people use to keep their receiver cool, especially now in the summer

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Some receivers come with fans that run all the time for cooling. Some have fans built in that trip on only when the temperature rises.

Fans in receivers, while nessarsary have one flaw: if the fan makes any dicernable noise, then it may interfere with quiet scenes in movies, but most manufacturers build them so you wont hear them, and most people's equipment is in a equipment rack far away and not out in the open anyhow.

All the power amps and chips will have heatsinks, just like PC processors do. As the heat is expelled and disipated by the heatsink it rises up out of the top holes in the receiver case. Cold air is drawn in through the side holes by the displacement of air, therefore making a cooling effect, like the way a TV or computer monitor does.

Read your instruction manual, and somewhere in there should be a placement guide for how far away from walls, or cabinet enclosures you should place your receiver minimumly for correct cooling. I know on the one I'm getting it's 10cm on top, behind and on the sides. Also keep it AWAY from direct sunlight. Even through a window it can raise the temperature on a receiver to dangerous levels in any season.

As long as you place it right, and the temp in your room is in the lower 70s or below, even when cranked up your receiver should stay cool. Some even have circuits that cut them off when they dangerously overheat. If that occurs you need to increase the ventillation around the unit, let the receiver cool down and restart and maybe even make the room cooler.

Hope this helps.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Another thing to keep in mind is that these things are built to run hot. You shoulden't get overly concerned unless it gets too hot to touch, or the protection circuit engages. Just make sure you have it well ventilated.

-rob

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
My Aragon 8008 amp runs rather warm. I had a little two-speed fan sitting around the house with a clip attached to it, just something to keep you cool in the summer. I clipped it to the back of the component cabinet pointed to circulate the air over the amp.

Just adding a little "help" to clear the warm air over the amp has made the amp run much cooler to the touch. And because the fan is in the back of the cabinet, it doesn't add any audible noise in the listening area.

A cheap and effective solution. I recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks