What's new

Kate and Leopold Question (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I can't tell, what are the differences between the theatrical version and the director's cut version. I saw the theatrical when it first came out (rental). Now we have the DVD and I watched the director's cut.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
It's been awhile and mind you, I saw the "director's cut" theatrically, so I may be all goofed up on this. Liev Schrieber and Meg Ryan were former lovers in the director's cut, leading to some potentially eye-raising considerations when we eventually learn that she would be his great-grandmother, or something like that. (I believe that this kind of relationship is eliminated in the theatrical cut.) The test screening screen with James Mangold's cameo also isn't in the theatrical cut. In the director's cut, Meg Ryan is seen at the party at the beginning of the movie. I think they cut her out for the theatrical version so that we wouldn't know she'd end up there at the end.

These may not be wholly correct, but those are the biggest differences, to the best of my memory.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think the difference is that in the director's cut, Leopold was off-handedly mentioned as being an ancestor of Liev Schreiber's character. Test audiences found the implication icky (and were quite vocal about it), so that was cut.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Jason, that may be correct. I just knew there was some sort of relation that made some people uncomfortable.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think I realize the Great Grandfather thing, now that it's been mentioned. When I watched DC I thought I just missed that the first time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.