JVC 48in WS with DVI...when?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Was looking thru the newest issue of perfect vison(I think, just grabbed a mag at borders)and saw a pic of a new 48in Widescreen set by JVC with DVI inputs. They said it is a new product(newly announced or about to be released I do not know) and would retail for $2300. Does anyone have any info on this thing? There was no model number listed in the short blurb, just a picture.

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Just saw it tonight at Best Buy for $1799 ($1699 if you have the $100 off coupon you get when you buy a DVD player).

In a word, the set is dazzling!

3. DanielC

DanielC Extra

Best buy website has this new JVC for $1799 with free shipping. I was gonna wait for the new toshiba's but this is hard to pass on.

4. Michael St. Clair

Hm, a CRT set that shows everything at 1080i? I wonder if it really does like the new Tosh sets and does 480p as 540p...

5. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I just saw this set at Best Buy a little while ago, and MAN it is one UGLY-ASS set! The picture looked pretty good, but the cabinet is just awful.
    I wouldn't go rushing out to buy this set just because of it's DVI connector. From what I've read, a new technology called HDMI might make DVI obsolete before it ever even catches on:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-0...s%2Dbusines s

6. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

The hi-def encryption war is far from over. I think I'll sit it out for a little while longer before I get an HD set myself, especially since no local channels are doing HD yet [​IMG]

7. Bob_J_M

Bob_J_M Agent

8. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

>>a CRT set that shows everything at 1080i

9. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Phil, it means that all input sources are upconverted from 480i/480p ,etc. to 1080i. This includes progressive scan dvd which would normally stay at 480p. This will most likely add conversion artifacts and defeat the purpose of progressive scan.

10. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure that this set up converts a 480p signal? most sets will allow a 480p signal to bypass upconversion. Jason

11. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Jason -

Exactly....Some new Toshibas do the same thing, and upconvert 480p to 540p.

It's cheaper for manufacturers to build sets that only do one scanrate, instead of multiple scanrates - Since having more than one requires more setup, memory, etc... But the PQ suffers.

As far as this HDMI thing goes.....

I was under the impression that HD satelite STB receivers dealt with compressed material, and therefore, could not use HDCP/DVI/HDMI - Only Firewire?

I thought the only device out on the market that used DVI/HDCP was the D-VHS decks?

Can someone clarify this?

Thanks,

-Ryan Dinan