What's new

JVC 48in WS with DVI...when? (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Was looking thru the newest issue of perfect vison(I think, just grabbed a mag at borders)and saw a pic of a new 48in Widescreen set by JVC with DVI inputs. They said it is a new product(newly announced or about to be released I do not know) and would retail for $2300. Does anyone have any info on this thing? There was no model number listed in the short blurb, just a picture.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Just saw it tonight at Best Buy for $1799 ($1699 if you have the $100 off coupon you get when you buy a DVD player).

In a word, the set is dazzling!

DanielC

Grip
Best buy website has this new JVC for $1799 with free shipping. I was gonna wait for the new toshiba's but this is hard to pass on.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hm, a CRT set that shows everything at 1080i? I wonder if it really does like the new Tosh sets and does 480p as 540p...

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I just saw this set at Best Buy a little while ago, and MAN it is one UGLY-ASS set! The picture looked pretty good, but the cabinet is just awful.
I wouldn't go rushing out to buy this set just because of it's DVI connector. From what I've read, a new technology called HDMI might make DVI obsolete before it ever even catches on:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-0...s%2Dbusines s

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
The hi-def encryption war is far from over. I think I'll sit it out for a little while longer before I get an HD set myself, especially since no local channels are doing HD yet :frowning:

Bob_J_M

Agent
I wouldn't go rushing out to buy this set just because of it's DVI connector. From what I've read, a new technology called HDMI might make DVI obsolete before it ever even catches on
No worries. HDMI is backwardly compatible with DVI/HDCP. This set has a good chance of being fully usable for all content distribution systems for all of its useful lifetime. Actually, the same could probably be said for any HDTV, but if you don't trust the CE industry to treat their customers right, this one is a safer bet.
Yohan: This movie has been screened to fit your format!;)

James St

Supporting Actor
Phil, it means that all input sources are upconverted from 480i/480p ,etc. to 1080i. This includes progressive scan dvd which would normally stay at 480p. This will most likely add conversion artifacts and defeat the purpose of progressive scan.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure that this set up converts a 480p signal? most sets will allow a 480p signal to bypass upconversion. Jason

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Jason -

Exactly....Some new Toshibas do the same thing, and upconvert 480p to 540p.

It's cheaper for manufacturers to build sets that only do one scanrate, instead of multiple scanrates - Since having more than one requires more setup, memory, etc... But the PQ suffers.

As far as this HDMI thing goes.....

I was under the impression that HD satelite STB receivers dealt with compressed material, and therefore, could not use HDCP/DVI/HDMI - Only Firewire?

I thought the only device out on the market that used DVI/HDCP was the D-VHS decks?

Can someone clarify this?

Thanks,

-Ryan Dinan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks