What's new

"Justice League of America", I'd like a live action film please (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
funny you should juxtapose these two requirements, chuck, since it seems to me that (B) is just an example of (A) at work...

anyway, i found that grant morrison was the worst for the uber-batman storylines: it was almost like there was always a batman ex machina at the end, when everything seemed lost.

of course, that made morrison my favorite JLA writer...

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

Right now the same site IESB is spreading the rumor that Tom Welling from Smallville fame is being approaced to play the man of steel and that the movie is live action with motion capture in it.

To get more of the low down, click on my sig link below.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I don't think the Warner suits would allow for two different actors to play Superman in a live action role at once.

I think from Warners' P.O.V. a mo-cap 3D JLA film would be the way to go. They don't have to worry about getting the same group of actors back every time either that way and it doesn't interfere as much with their standalone Batman/Superman franchises.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

It would actually be smarter to go live action, because if the movie is successful, it will help launch other projects like Green Lantern and the Flash into thier own series of movies. Also, if the rumors prove true they already have two of thier leads roles from the cast of Smallville.

From the WB's point of view, they have to take into consideration the fact that the relaunched Superman franchise was not very successful and a SR sequel even if it is a small improvement over the first will make less than the first one at the box office.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
So basically this would be like the Smallville movie? Because a lot of the Justice League characters have already been introduced on Smallville.

Also Superman aside, if this is to go ahead then in live action, IMO Nolan/Bale would insist that Batman is not in it, even if they could get the Superman folkes to agree with that.

Two Supermans is bad enough, but two Batmans ... especailly with the specific iteration that Nolan is going for ... I don't see the Batman camp being very happy with that.

I just don't think Warner would want to confuse things like that. I already have to explain to my more casual movie going friends that Batman Begins has no relation to the Burton Batman movies (they think the Joker in the next one will be in the Nicholson mold).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

It's likely going to, and if everything works out to Warner's liking, it will be in theaters summer of 2009. This is getting to be less rumor and more likely.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

If they do go with some of the super hero leads from Smallville, it would be a great way to reward the fans for the time they have invested in the show and DVDs.

Plus itmight even help the show to remain popular for future generations to come in syndication.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't want live action. it's too risky in the hands of a bad director. with mo-cap, you got a free reign on action and budget is not a concern. think like the giant monster scene in FF:Advent Children.... it would ROCK. with live action, budget means more non-cg scenes, which is always the kryptonite of comic book movies.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

George Miller is not the worst director in Hollywood, that honor goes to Uwe Boll, Tim Story, and that guy who directed the Resident Evil movies.

Fred333

Agent
Real Name
Fred
I hope it becomes reality. It would be great to see what they do with all those characters.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
There are tons of new spoilers swimming around the comic book websites.

members will include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash (Wally), Green Lantern (Jon), Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter

members will be young (early in their careers) with the exception of the older, wiser MM

not an origin story -- League is already in existence when film opens

cast possibilities: Laurence Fishburne for MM.

Tom Welling for Superman. (not Brandon because WB wants to distance Superman: Returns from this film).

Someone new for Batman (Bale wants to work only with Nolan).

Leo DiCaprio for Aquaman, if he's willing to lower his fee.

Bruce Willis for Lex Luthor.

Mel Gibson for Maxwell Lord. (!)

Scarlett Johansen for Talia Al-Ghul (!!)

plot: Lord and Talia collaborate on creating OMACs to wipe out the heroes

They compete against Luthor, who has developed rival technology for the same purpose

White Martians threaten to invade Earth. They are on the run from an unknown foe.

Lord is a White Martian (gasp!) As is Martian Manhunter (spying on the JLA)

Wonder Woman discovers Lord's treachery and snaps his neck. She is publicly disgraced.

White Martians invade. Luthor gives his tech to JLA so they can repel the invasion

We discover who the White Martians are running from -- DARKSEID

Darkseid and his minions cause further troubles and KILL SUPERMAN

Wonder Woman realizes the error of her ways and asks the gods to take her life and bring Superman back.

Superman saves the day.

Ice cream with sprinkles for everybody

early scenes have a lot of humor (presumably from the Giffen/Maguire "Bwa-ha-ha" era comics, as we see what the heroes do when they're not out in public saving the day

early action scenes show minor Justice League members getting taken out. Fun cameos (Blue Beetle? Booster Gold?) as a nod to the fans

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
sounds bad to me. Way too much plot for a 2 hour movie.

Also, do we really need to see Luthor again? In any capacity?
The other big villian in that synopsis is great- That is definitely the 'size' of a villain something like this would need.

Also I would drop Bats entirely. I make the line-up comprised strictly of meta-humans, and just shift Batmans story duties to Manhunter (in terms of plot it would involve stealth and info retrieval and reasoned deductions etc)

Also, not a big fan of them being 'young'. Its unoriginal, its boring, its cliche.
Why not have them older and concerned on what will happen when they have to retire, who will replace them etc.? Has that been done before yet?

sorry to be cynical, but this looks to me like an invitation to get everything wrong in one fell swoop.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Yet, what is one of the most common criticisms of sfx-laden action movies?

Too many effects, NO PLOT!

:) I like my action movies with a lot of "stuff" in them. Nothing is worse than a thin plot stretched to the breaking point in order to fill time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But too much plot means none of the plotlines or the characters get a chance to develop. The trick is to match the proper amount of plot with the proper amount of screen time.

Mo-Cap sounds like a fascinating idea to me, especially since they could get perfect voices like Kevin Conroy and Tim Daly for the characters.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be a big mistake for WB to make this before Nolan and Bale are finished with their trilogy. I hope this doesn't screw up the plans for BATMAN BEGINS 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks