What's new

"Justice League of America", I'd like a live action film please (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Marvel has their superhero team on the big screen ("X-Men") so why haven't we seen DC's best, the JLA?

I can see why Warner would be reluctant as JLA's best known members have their own franchises going (Batman) or ramping up (Superman, Wonder Woman) so they wouldn't want to water those down by having them appear in a team-up (I would think the actors in question wouldn't be up for double duty and I also doubt the studio would want to confuse the audience by having 2 actors for each part) but they've had many characters in the group over the years so why not go for them?

Green Lantern
The Flash (scrap the solo movie)
Martian Manhunter

Who else could work? Who could handle directing duties (the first person to say Joss Whedon gets a smack)?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't think the film could work without the BIG THREE. It could for fans, like myself, but not for the mainstream.

As for directing, get Ridley Scott. He hasn't done a superhero pic...this would suit his visual aesthetic :)

You could save Supes and Batman until the end (if the script was OK). I'd be hard-pressed to see another man in the Batsuit besides Bale.

My wife and I are watching S1 of JL right now. Even as the weakest season...it's pretty darn good :) If they could capture an ounce of that on the big screen, it would be a trhing of beauty. Sprinkle in the humor and character moments of JLU, and you could print money with it.

But what a b**** it would be to cast :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought a JLA movie was rumored after the Bat, Supes and Wonder Woman ranchises were established? It was probably internet hooey, but I reall hearing that Warners wanted 3 movies each for the big three, and then do a team up.

I'm glad I'm an animation fan. Batman, Superman and the JLA animated series have all completely killed over the superhero movies by both DC and Marvel so far. They should really just do a PG-13 JLA feature film. Hell, do "Kingdom Come" by Mark Waid and Alex Ross.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I would love a live action JLA. And if you don't have the big 3...Don't bother. A lot of fans over at Toonzone forum don't think it would happen and don't think it could. I say nonsense. While the cost might be high. Their is no reason you couldn't have all of the effects without it being a budget buster. Look at the amount of effects needed for the X-men movies. Also, with the new computer f/x. You could save their to.
What you do is wait until the WW movie is done. Then bring in whomever is starring in WW, Christian Bale as Bats and Routh (or Welling ;) ) to play Supes. My only other casting idea is and who is being looked at for the role...Ryan Reynolds as the Flash. Any other casting ideas?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Lets hope we get this...

Not this...

Seriously, if done right. This movie would rule. And if the movie doesn't have the big three (Supes, Bats & WW)...Don't bother. It would be like making the X-Men movie without Wolverine & Xavier.

Finally, what is is with everyone worried that you have to show origins for the other heroes in the movie?? People are generally smart enough to get the concept that say "Flash" has the ability to go fast. They don't need to know why he has his abilities.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If it happens, it will be completely awesome or complete trash. I'm not optimistic.

If Chris Nolan and Bryan Singer agreed to co-direct, however, that would send my optimism meter skyrocketing. Have Ottman-Zimmer-Howard compose the score as well! :D There's a trio of composers working in Bollywood (Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy). If it can happen there, it can happen here.

[/dreaming]

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Cut Smallville some slack. They are working on a budget of 1 or 2 million. We are discussing here that a JLA movie that is only an hour longer not being able to be made for under 300 million. I am sure the producers would have loved to have had them fight the 33.1 villians. But, the budget wouldn't have worked.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theyd have to make a LOTR type trilogy. Filmed all at once, released a year apart. The number of characters alone would make a 2 hour movie impossible.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This has got to be prohibitively expensive. Even if it is just the seven characters we get from Justice League, there are five characters who fly, one who moves rather quickly, two/three vehicles and GL's ring powers. Not to mention the villains. Who gets thrown in? One villain won't work against these seven. Is it Darkseid? Luthor? The Legion of Doom? Doomsday? A combination?

I'd love to see this happen, but it's at least a couple years in the future.

bradleybruns

Auditioning
Real Name
Bradley
I would love to be optimistic, but it would take a small miracle for this to be a winner.

Would a CGI movie work?

Advantages
-Less expensive, less risky
-More freedom in costume design
-More freedom with story (no continuity issues with other films or shows)
-No "big star" issues

Disadvantages:
-Some may be let down by the fact that it's not live action
-Box office track record of "non-kid" animation (Final Fantasy)

My suggestions:
-Use a fresh, innovative animation style that combines the best qualities of CGI and comic/hand animation
-Keep it family friendly (Star Wars, Original Superman)
-Focus on the origin of one key member that hasn't been done on the big screen (Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern)
-Make sure it has a great classical score

Brian D H

Second Unit

Non-kid? Sorry, but as far as the marketing people are concerned superheroes are still a kid's genre. You'll never see an R-rated movie with superheroes (at least not these characters). While they want to attract teens, they will never want to exclude familys. I predict PG-13 at the most, and probably PG; so CG Animation is certainly possible. Because of this perception the PTB will be comparing this to The Incredibles, not Final Fantasy. Heck, they could do a nod to continuity by having Bales, Routh, etc. do the voices.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, if Christian Bale is a requirement. I don't think Brandon Routh would be as difficult to schedule. :)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I'm thinking if they do get Christian Bale to reprise his role as The Batman it would probably end up being a cameo. Probably only joining the JLA at the end of the movie.

However, it would still be really cool seeing Superman, Wonder Woman, GL and The Flash together on the big screen. I just hope they don't go politically correct on Wonder Woman's costume. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Bale has a crossover role in his contract. But I can't see him committing to a full shooting schedule, so I imagine he'll be spice. Fortunately, that means two things.

A) He won't overshadow the remainder of the League (which is also an intermittent problem in the comics), and Bale won't eat the other actors ;)

B) It fits his role and his Batman incarnation...he should be the know-it-all, infuriatingly-always-right a-hole who shows up periodically to clue in the amateur powerhouses...that'll work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks