What's new

Justice League & Batman Beyond (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Part of the dilemma about how they produced these episodes is that season one generally looks better composed when zoomed to a 16:9 ratio since the layouts/compositions put the "dead space" at the top and bottom of a 4:3 frame. Conversely, season two usually looks better composed when you zoom it to a 4:3 ratio since they did their layouts/compositions with the "dead space" on the sides of a 16:9 frame. Both releases are effectively "open matte" presentations.

Regards,

Bill_Nolan

Agent
Timm is, according to the link, so you should be OK.

But, then again, Dini & Timm have worked as Producer on Krypto and Teen Titans, and those aren't universally embraced by the hardcore BTAS types.

- Bill

BrandonJF

Second Unit

It's hard to go by Cartoon Network's US "schedule" to determine much as far as JLU is concerned... especially at the end there. I'm not positive if this was the case for seasona 1 & 2, but the final season aired first in other markets on a more "stable" schedule. In the U.S., CN might show a batch of 4 eps in one night...wait awhile...show some more eps...months go by...start a weekly run again for a month... months go by... The final episode aired elsewhere months before it aired in the U.S..

Maybe someone else knows whether or not seasons 1+2 aired with a wider gap between them in other markets where (and if) the eps aired prior to their original US airings...

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Yeah I missed a lot of episodes because of CN's schizo scheduling. I've been a Bruce Timm fan since Batman in 1992 and still the JLU box will be half new to me.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I gave up on JLU this season partly because DVD looks so much better than the poor analog CN broadcasts on my cable network.

Braniac Attacks sank because they were shooting for the lowest common denominator (ie: kids) and not for the older following their series have had all along. The fact the new DTVs will be PG-13 doesn't mean much, but at least it shows they are will to take some more chances.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Been watching JL season 2 on DVD, and it is full of episodes I'd missed. Great, great stuff in there - really mature storytelling for what is essentially a show aimed at kids.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone seen any reviews for Justice League Unlimited Season 1? It's due out in about 2 weeks so I thought some review copies might be floating around.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

DVD Basen isn't listing any reviews and Worlds Finest doesn't have their up yet. I'd give it another week. As far as I remember, Warner doesn't allow reviews up prior to the week before street.

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson
Unfortunatly yes it has been....

But they will have a DTV movie coming in a few months.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Dang, that sux. Gonna miss JLU, Love the old DC superheroes (marvel too). Guess I better grab the JLU S1 boxset next week. Thx for the tip on the movie though.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
The DTV, assuming you're talking about New Frontier, is not part of the JL/JLU TV series. While it's the same director (Bruce Timm), it will look nothing like the TV series and won't be part of the same continuity. Might be a good DTV, but it's not really even close to a follow-up to the series.

TimT

Agent
What exactly is it if its not in the same continuity? And even if you are saying its just a stand alone not following the prior story arcs, are you saying it won't have the same art style or feel? Will it have different characters or sets of them?

bignev44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neville Johnson

Anytime Daryl!

And you are right Whitney,thanks 4 reminding me,i read about that a while back that it is going to be based off the comic story not the tv series,would have been great if they tied it to the tv show,:frowning:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The series was written and illustrated by Darwyn Cooke, in a style I would say is similiar to the Timm characters and to Alex Toth, but still visually different. The story takes place in the post-WWII era, into the 1960s, hence the title "The New Frontier" (a slogan of John F. Kennedy). Personally, I thought the series was great, especially for anyone who loves that period in history. It will be tough to make it into a satisfying movie.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
After reading the rave reviews, I picked up Justice League Unlimited Season 1 blind & really like it. Two questions:

1. Am I going to be behind by starting here or should I watch the first Justice League seasons 1 & 2 first? (I've never seen any of the DC cartoons)

2. If I do go back and buy those other 2 sets, what about the "zoom" trick? Does the animation hold up or does it simply fall apart?

(The fact those first 2 sets aren't anamorphic is a bummer. But, please, my question isn't about the "importance of OAR" of which I've read more than enough in this thread. I just want to know what people thought of the picture after zooming the image on those first 2 seasons)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks