What's new

Just upgraded my system! =) (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I just did a major upgrade/overhaul on my system. Before the upgrade, my system was a PIII 550. After the upgrade:
CPU: Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53 GHz
Mobo: Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro
RAM: 256MB (same as before)
Sound Card: Soundblaster Audigy MP3+
Video Card: ATI Radeon 64MB SDR (not the 7000 -- same as before)
Ethernet Card: Linksys 10/100 Ethernet card
I transferred the old 30 GB HD, CD-RW, and DVD-ROM drives to the new case. This is the first computer I put together myself so I'm pretty proud of it. Everything works great! Instead of the old crappy 386K DSL connection speed my new DSL download speed is consistently between 1.0 mbps and 1.2 mbps!! :D

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Good job with you first system :emoji_thumbsup:
Another thing you might want upgrade that is fairly cheap depending on the weekly deals and will give you a great performance boost is to upgrade your RAM to DDR. Not sure if your boards supports it, but if it does then switching to DDR is the next biggest leap you can do for your computer.
Check out www.newegg.com for the latest prices.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Check out crucial.com for some DDR. 256mb PC2100 is around $45 now with free shipping. Curcial is the sales division of Micron memroy, one of the largest, best known ram producers in the world. You should see a 10% performance increase using it. Nice job on upgrade. I am an avid system builder (side business) and network/system admin by profession. BUilding compas is certainly a lot of fun (when all goes as planned) and you have the satisfaction of saving yourself 50% what it would cost to by from a manufaturer (and much higher quality if you choose parts wisely)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks