What's new

Just ordered the InFocus 4805 - A big thanks to all! (1 Viewer)

David_MSP

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to thank everyone on this forum who has contributed in any form or fashion to the ongoing discussions regarding the InFocus 4805 projector. I'm happy to report I just ordered one today from Kirk Punches at TV Authority. This will make a great addition to my new home theatre (currently under construction) along with the Carada Criterion screen I already purchased. When I think about all the information I had at my fingertips while researching this purchase, it reminds me how lucky I am to be a part of this very special forum.

Regards,
David
:)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on your purchase. :emoji_thumbsup: Mine's approaching 1300 hours and it works just as good as day 1.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Almost 200 hours on mine and still running the 1st firmware and love every minute of it! The best bang for the $! :D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Way to go on the Infocus and the Carada screen. You are going to be thrilled with both of them and you will never be able to watch any type of video on a small screen again.

Parker

terence

Supporting Actor
I forgot tosay congrats on the Carada screen as well, and i love my Carada screen too. 470 hrs so far and i will never go back to RPTV AKA big screen (really?!) tv again.

krury

Auditioning
I got my Infocus ScreenPlay 4805 with Infocus 76" pull down screen and 30' SVGA, computer USB/VGA to DVI at Costco for $999 after rebate. only good until Feb 6.

The unit is very lightweight and portable. I project in my living room at 100" on a flat white wall using 12' component cable. I compared it to a $5,000 Epson Projector being projected on a Stewart Luxus Screenwall GreyHawk 100" ($1700) at the Hi Fi place it looked just as good.

When I want to use it in my bedroom I plug in the 30' SVHS and watch tv or DVDs. It projects on the included 76" screen I pull down in front of a 76" window. Even at this short distance it looks fantastic. I did find that my TV signal when letterboxed had an overscan signal at the top. I went into Advanced settings and checked Overscan and it went away. I save my SVHS settings on one Preset and my component on another and it automatically uses the correct Preset. The remote is easy to use once you learn the symbols.

I couldn't be happier with my first front projector. The blacks are black yet detailed, the skin colors are natural looking and everything is very rich in color.

Overall I give it a A+, particularly considering the price.

Thorough Infocus 4805 Review
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-11-2004.html

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I sure hope so. I am a bit nervous about RBE. Also I have this big window that I need to cover up but that should be too hard.

Man, I might actually start watching movies again. In the past year I have practically given up on them in favor of TV shows on DVD. My 4 y/o 32in (no progressive) display became increasingly inadequate for film.

I have never been a videophile so short of bad RBE, everything should be fine, I am really easy to please in that regard...

In any case, I know what I'll be doing on Friday night :D

What shall I watch first I wonder? One of the LOTRs of course... I will probably swap discs every 5 minutes... It is thrilling to know in that in a couple of days, I will be able to enjoy say... Gandalf's arrival at Minas Tirith on a MUCH bigger display (the sheer scope of that sequence made me gasp in the theater).

I have had Once Upon a Time in the West sitting at home for more than a year, never seen it. Much like other Sergio Leone works, it probably begs for a big screen.

Heck, even TV shows like 24 (DVD) should look grand on this thing, no?

OK, I am getting ahead of myself.

--
H

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Do you have a HDTV tuner? If so, 24 will look great. NTSC, not so great.

I have a 4800, ceiling mounted, and I just love the thing. I am rediscovering all of my old DVDs and even Laserdiscs. Last night I watched the LD collectors set of Thunderball , and it looked almost as good as it did on the bigscreen back in 1966.

However, some of the LD look better than others.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to wall mount this thing, is there a minimum clearance to respect? Does it exhaust from the back?

I am going about this the simplest most affordable way: A small shelf (with L brackets). The PJ will be secured with tie-wraps or something similar. Not the most elegant, but I don't care, I am looking for simplicity above all.

Any experience with that?

--
H

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It exhausts out the front; intake is on the back and left side.

I managed to mount the thing on a tripod using a toasting pan and a nut and bolt. I think your small shelf will be easy by comparison :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Guo, you used to have pics of your projector on that tripod, whatever happened to them?

--
H

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I removed the pics since they weren't really an accurate depiction of how I use it. But they might be good for a laugh or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.