What's new

Onkyo TX-NR801 ? (1 Viewer)

SteveCoug

Agent
Hi,

I'm a new guy here and totally new to Home Theater.

Believe it or not, my current stereo amplifier is a Sansui model that I bought right after I graduated from high school in 1974!

So I figured it's about time to get into the 21st Century. :wink:

I just ordered an InFocus 4805 video projector which will be here in 3 days, thanks to fast service at Crutchfield.

Now I need to get a receiver to set up surround sound and take advantage of all the cool new equipment.

I have read a lot of reviews and I have pretty much settled on the Onkyo TX-NR801. It seems to have everything I could want, and this may not be important to you "kids," but it even has a "phono" input so I can still play my records (they are round black things made out of vinyl).

The only "negative" I can find about the Onkyo TX-NR801 is that it does not automatically upgrade all composite video inputs to component video out (I hope I'm using the correct terminology).

I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. I plan to have my DVD player in the back of the room near my video projector and connect it to the projector using component video cables. I will run an audio cable from my DVD player to my stereo for the sound. That was cheaper than buying a 25 ft video component cable and seemed to make the most sense. I will primarly be using the video projector to watch movies, but I also plan to run an S-Video cable from my Dish Satelite box to the video projector so that I can occassionally watch sports and other stuff on TV.

With this set up in mind, is the Onkyo TX-NR801 a good choice? Any other recommendations in the $700-800 price range?

Thanks for your help.

SteveCoug

Agent
After further reading, I'm even more confused about the "component video upconversion" ...

If the video source is an S-VHS VCR or a Satelite TV receiver with S-Video output, will the component video upconversion actually IMPROVE the signal by converting it from the 2-channel S-Video signal to a 3-channel Component Video signal? Or does it merely act as an "adapter" that allows you to connect your S-Video equipment to a component video input device such as a video projector?

I'm confused.

Please help!!!

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

No. It only changes its transmission medium.

The 801 is an excellent receiver. If you are not interested in its networking capability, you can still find the 800 (last years model) for several hundred less. Also, 802s will probably be out in a few months (should add PLIIx).

One thing I like about the Onkyo is that Onkyo also makes a decent 100w 2-channel amp (M-282) that is selling for next to nothing ($200). Actually, its the same amp that is in the 800/801, therefore it will produce the same "sound" (timbre matching) at the speakers.

Review of the 800:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2003.html

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

Welcome to the 21st century! :D
That’s only relevant if you’re sending the video signals to the receiver, and then feeding a line from the receiver to the projector. This would allow convenient switching of the video signals, automatically sending video to the monitor for whatever input you selected – DVD, VCR, Dish receiver, etc. In that situation it would be beneficial for all the different video signals to be upconverted to component.

However, in your situation, you’re running the video signals from the DVD player and Dish receiver straight to the projector, so it doesn’t matter what kind of video capabilities the Onkyo receiver has.

Make sense?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks