What's new

Just Got the Red Ring of Death and Sent My 360 to Microsoft... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading a story about a guy who had a 360 he had won in a contest or something that had all the signatures of the HALO team on it that went through the RRoD refurb process. He tried to make absolutely certain that they wouldn't erase the signatures and that he'd get the same unit back, they promised him they would. Low and behold, it came back completely bare but you could still see some of the remains of a couple signatures.

In short, I believe you get your individual unit back. They probably just lacquer down the processor or replace some of the innards, but they don't send a new unit.

Also, what benefit would there be to getting an Elite if you are getting one with HDMI anyway? The only difference is the color and HDD...but they're not going to send you a new HDD and you probably kept that anyway.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I had that once. A little penicillin cleared it right up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You probably know this, but you only have to pay $50 for online gaming. Updates, demos, buying DLC, etc. are in the "free" online system

But I understand the connection difficulties. I had to run a custom patchcord with new wallplates through the wall to network my living room. A nuisance initially, but it's paid off with all the electronics that are now networked.

A friend brought his 360 over to diagnose his networking problem: his 360's ethernet connection died. We also found that MS changed the power cord connection because my power cord wouldn't connect to his older 360...so an extra trip home and back, to get his power cord... So he's had two RRoD's and an networking failure.

I really hope my newer 360 doesn't suffer the fate of the older ones.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, so far so good on my replacement unit. Of course, it doesn't get as much use as my PS3, because I watch movies more than I play games. Good luck.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Every console goes through revisions. Sony has had like 8 SKUs of the PS3 in America and even more abroad. The power cable thing doesn't surprise me.

X-Box Live is just like PSN, except it's on the X-Box 360. The content is the same: games, demos, videos, movies, TV shows, etc. except one costs $50 a year.

The Elite was released after the redesign and incorporates a new chip...but so does every X-Box 360 made after that point in time. In fact, I think there is a newer chip/process but I forget the codename. You can actually look on your console and tell what model chip is in it by the serial number. The new chip is not what differentiates the Elite from the Pro or Arcade, the size of the harddrive and included cables/controllers are what do that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. I'm glad I was able to get a wired solution; $100 for the MS wireless adapter is outrageous, IMO.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Well after almost two years, my machine gave out over the weekend with the 3 ROD. I have the service contract and arranged for a return. While I was at it, I also complained to them over the truly excesive noise of the unit and a clunking sound the DVD drive makes when you quit a game. I'm hoping they'll just exchange the thing for a new one.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well my 360 crapped out on me as of January 31st. However it wasn't the RRoD......not at first. I had one flashing red light and an E73 error code, which I found out to be ethernet failure (for whatever reason). So, let me break down my time line here:

February 1st: Called 800-number and made a repair request. Was told a box would be sent.

February 4th: Received box via Purolator (keep in mind, I'm in Canada).

February 5th: Packed Xbox and dropped it off at the Purolator shipping centre.

February 6th: Received e-mail confirmation that the 360 was received at Celestica (the company in Toronto who manufactures and repairs the consoles).

Now, here it is, the 17th of February and there has been NO status change what-so-ever. Now here's what adds fuel to the fire.

My friend Chris received the 'Red Ring of Death approximately 1 week after mine died. He requested a box on the 7th. Received it on the 9th. Sent it back on the 10th. Received confirmation that it was received on the 12th. On the 13th he received ANOTHER confirmation stating that the console has been replaced and was being shipped back to him.

Now can someone explain to me how this makes any lick of sense? He sends his out a week after I send mine and in a matter of two days his problem is resolved. All the while, I'm still sitting here 11 days later where the current status remains the same; "Console has been received at the service center".

I mean, my buddy and I live in the same city......same street actually. Both consoles were sent to the SAME place. Both packages were signed by the SAME person at the shipping dock, and yet mine's still sitting in limbo while he'll be playing his by tomorrow most likely.

And of course I've tried calling their customer service number. But before I even picked up the phone, I already knew I'd receive a barrage of generic responses based on the information that was already available on their service website. But I tried.

I just thank God my system is still under warranty until March. I don't understand however that a simple replacement console could take this long to receive. I was initially told that they don't repair and return the consoles you send, but send a refurbished one in its place. So, why the delay?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really getting annoyed over this. Add the fact that only one week before my system I died, I had just bought 'Rock Band 2", so I'm really jonesing to play that again. lol

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Fully agree. I mean, it´s "free" in PS3 and Wii.. My 360 is the only console in my house that still uses wired solution. Macbook, PS3, Wii - all wireless.

But with $80-100 wireless adapter, pricing of Xbox Live and - unreliable (at least before the "Jasper" etc models) & noisy (now you can install the game to the hard drive, though - HIGHLY recommended) hardware they compensate the lower price of the console there I guess..

Comparing these prices of three different consoles is actually not that simple as some people think. All have clear advantages - and clear disadvantages.

Recent interview concerning "Red Ring of Death", btw:
Can Gamers Stop Worrying About Red Ring? | Edge Online

"What it comes down to is isolating and figuring out the issue, fixing the issue, and the more that we can fix the issue, and know it's fixed, then we're good going forward. We've put the worst behind us on this, but we know there are a few lagging systems, and so we want to take those and make it right."

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received an email yesterday stating the repairs are complete. They received it on the 16th. Not bad. So hopefully it will be shipped out by tomorrow and it will arrive by the middle of the week.

PhillipMG

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
I wish I had the red ring. Mine died with the Green Ring so Microsoft wouldn't help me at all.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I hear ya. Like I said earlier, I was kinda glad I got the red ring now since a) I figured it was inevitable b) my warranty is up in May.

Do I understand correctly, now that it's fixed, the warranty is extended to a year past when I get it back? Or am I just making that up?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Received the 360 back today (February 24th). Sent it out on February 11th. Thirteen day turnaround. Not too bad.

Just a side note, I did receive the exact same console back- serial number matched up. I did think it was kind of strange that I had to re-download the NXE interface. I figured that was stored on the HDD, but apparently it must be stored on internal memory which either got replaced or purged during the fix.

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: to Microsoft for a smooth repair process.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
^^^

Actually, I find that a little discouraging as I'm hoping to receive a new console. In addition to the 3 ROD, I had a clunky DVD player (actually made a clunk sound when you quit the game) as well as the console being excessively noisy to the extreme. So much so that I cannot play a game at low volume otherwise I cannot hear the in game dialog and such. I mentioned these problem so maybe I will get lucky.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah, I was hoping that they'd end up giving me an HDMI console, but no such luck. But, atleast, other than the RROD my console was in good condition so I don't mind getting it back. I know how I treated my console, you know?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I double-checked mine to see if my old HDMI-less console had been replaced with a HDMI-equipped model--no such luck. I'm happy for the poster above, but I imagine his experience isn't at all common.

--Jefferson Morris

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Looks like I got my original console returned... no HDMI... rats.

On the plus side, my console runs MUCH quieter... outstanding difference. DVD player seems to have been fixed as well. I really can't complain. Thanks, MS.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
another reason why don't buy this franchise. Red ring of death. Overheating. inexpensive drivers breakdown.
But apparently Microsoft has fixed this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks