What's new

Just got done moving my 27in Sony WEGA (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Sony HAS to make the heaviest FREAKING TV know to mankind.

My God!!! Are they lined in lead?

If it was bigger and heavier I could as a friend to help but it being ONLY a 27 incher I would feel silly. It was only to the other side of the house but at 48 and only 150 pounds I'm not the beefiest guy in the world.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I am moving at the end of the month. I only have had my Samsung 32" HDTV for 3 weeks or so (didnt know I was going to have to move or I would have waited on the TV). No way I am moving this sucker down 2 flights of stairs, then up 2flights. If I drop it, I am screwed. If the movers drop it, I get a new TV. Was no fun geting that thing upstairs when I had to. At least the box had handles. Now their is no box. That sucker is 170lbs.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Agreed. I recently got a wega. There is something wrong when you can't fit a 32" TV into a full size SUV. Once I did get the sucker home, I had to get one of my line-backer like friends to get it in the house. Then, of course, he had to come back, after I put the specially braced stand together.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's those beautiful flat screens we love so much: They require a lot of glass--and that comes with a serious penalty, as you are now finding out. Imagine if you had to move a KV-40XBR700 up a couple flights of stairs!

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
So, the morals of the story are:
  1. Buy the stand before the TV, assemble
  2. Let the retailer deliever
  3. Let the movers get the thing in the house
  4. Let the movers put the TV on the stand
  5. Never move TV[/list=1]

I have to remember these lessons, I'm buying a 36" Wega sometime in the next 3 months. I'm in a world of hurt with #5 since I'm the biggest "maybe it would work better over there..." addict in the world.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Getting it on the stand or in the entertainment ctr isnt much of a problem. My GF was able to help me get mine in my entertainment ctr. (barely fit, had to take and keep the doors off). The big problem is getting them up and down stairs. Easy enough to move within a room!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the advantages of a non-CRT based front projector.
(I'm not sure, do they make the rear of the CRT in ribbed metal instead of glass to save some weight? The original 1960's RCA 21 inche round screen color tubes had metal rear sections, although typical computer monitors nowadays have all glass tubes)
(I have a Sony 49" LCD RPTV, chosen with weight as a major consideration, 110 lb. Not HDTV, has just 480 rows of pixels)
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Dave - you have three months to bulk up and pump some iron - your wife will love the new you and she will see that the TV was worth it. The WAF will sky rocket.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dave,

I've owned 4 NON-Wega Sonys over the years, from 25 to 35 inches, and even they are consistently much heavier than other brands of the same size. I actually had one salsedrone try to tell me they had lead shielding inside to prevent magnetic interference--not so since I did manage to mess up the 35 with a non-shielded speaker. It fixed itself after unplugging for 20 minutes and turning it back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks