What's new

Just Got a Sony KF-42WE610 LCD (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Ah, a happy day in the Miller household. A few months back I'd purchased the 43in Sammy DLP, but after a few frustrating days of rainbows, I decided it just wouldn't work out. I read about the upcoming DLP models coming out this summer, and was waiting to check them out, with hopes that the color wheel speed would be sufficient that those lovely wisps of color would be gone. Well, no such luck. The new Sammy's are out, and it took all of two seconds to see rainbows again. I decided that this just seems like a limit to the technology and decided not to wait for the Toshiba DLP models, and make the plunge to LCD.

I did a search, and was surprised that there weren't any true reviews here on the model, so thought I would drop a post in before getting back to... it. :)

Sony's 42in LCD is a beauty. I've read the stories of motion blur problems on older LCD models, and I know about the lack of a "true black" on the screen. I checked out the model at a few stores to look out for the blur, and demo'd T3 to get a feel of how I'd be affected by the lower blacks. That said, I'm really happy with it.

I've done some initial tweaking of the colors -- I plan on doing more later, when my daughter is a little more cooperative (read: not crying). If anyone has a good tweak site link, feel free to post it. As with when I first bought the DLP, I demo'd SW Episode II, the Matrix, Batman the Movie (1966), and Spider-Man. (I know what you're thinking, Batman?? Yeah, they have a beautifully colored menu, and the colors in the movie itself are fun.) From first hand experience between the DLP and the LCD, here are my observations:

- The DLP picture was sharper. I notice the LCD picture is a tad softer, that really stood out in Eps.II. BUT, I will say that the picture feels a little more natural. The asteroid scene when Obi-Wan is chasing Jango looked absolutely AWESOME. The colors were smooth without being glaring. I could see where the picture during Obi-Wan/Jango fight in the rain was a tad darker and not as defined, but it wasn't enough for me to be turned off. (Watching Pirates of the Car. tonight, I hit the end of the movie and realized that I hadn't spent a second saying "Gee the blacks just aren't dark enough", as compared to when I watched it on the DLP saying "There's another #$@#! rainbow, ow! my head hurts".

- The colors felt more natural on the LCD. (Yes, minus the blacks.) It's funny watching a DVD like the Matrix, that years ago seemed like reference quality, then watching something like Eps.II or Harry Potter. Wow, they need to revisit the Matrix DVD. In terms of colors, I'm really looking forward to watching the remastered Field of Dreams.

- Audio wise, does anyone really listen to their TV through the TV speakers? Well, I don't. That said, those speakers on the side are a tad unsightly... My wife commented that this TV was a lot bigger than the Sammy. It is, dimensionally.

- Inputs. I could use more. Digital Cable HD box is coming out Thurs, I'm hoping they hook it up via the DVI, otherwise I'll need to move the X-Box over to an S-Video or standard A/V since I have the DVD through component.

- PIP. Wow, too bad I won't be able to use the PIP when the cable box is out. (Can I use a splitter to run through antenae and through the DVI or Component?) The PIP on this thing is great, I love being able to shrink the window on either side and moving audio between the two is an absolute breeze.

- Control. I'll have to double check the back of my receiver. Sony DTS/DD from about 6 years ago, I can't remember if it has the control in like the TV and DVD have. That would be pretty cool. (That means I can run everything through the one remote, and could have my other components in another room -- it doesn't need line of site for the remote because it would go through the TV)

- HD. I really enjoyed the HD on the DLP. Demo'ing the HD in other stores on this set, I have no doubts it will be on par with the DLP. Ah....... Baseball, College Football in the fall, Pro in the winter....

- SD. I almost forgot to mention SD TV. Looks WAY better than the DLP. As mentioned above, even after tweaking, the DLP was really sharp. SD TV looks absolutely horrible. Sony has really addressed this issue. SD looks solid. Not at a direct view TV level, but solid, on par with a CRT. I don't get a headache watching re-runs of Seinfeld.

- Complaints? None that I've noticed yet. Like I mentioned above, I'm ambivilent to the issue with the blacks. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. The colors really stand out. The picture is smooth and clear. The TV is easy to use. Only downside (I thought of one) is that it won't win any beauty contests.

I know Sony is releasing their new models in the fall. From what I've heard, the main change will be the built in cable card slot (as with the Toshiba DLP). The way I figure, I'd sooner have the seperate digital cable converter. I know they'll have a PVR model in the next year that I'll want anyway.

I'd be interested in your experience with this TV. If you don't have one, I hope you found this informative. None of the above is meant to bash on DLP -- it's a great technology, it just has a flaw that I can't get past.

Doug

StuartF

Grip
Doug,

I logged on to reply to thank the others who responded to my earlier post that helped me decide to purchase this TV. When I saw your post, I thought what better place to do that.

Ours was delivered yesterday. I couldn't be happier with it. I live in the country, so no cable, and we are of the rare breed that doesn't subscribe to satellite. We watch a lot of DVDs, however, and they look just awesome, even with our non-progressive scanning Pioneer 5-disc changer. The biggest drawback is the black levels, which don't irritate the more lit the room is. They seem to look worse if the room is very dark, but maybe that's just me. Most of the control issues we have been able to work out with our existing programmable universal remote (also a Sony). The picture-in-picture is really cool. REALLY cool (I'm easily impressed).

What really sold me on the set and what continues to impress me is how non-HD signals appear. As I said, HD is not part of my reality right now. I was amazed how well the ordinary broadcast and VHS signals were displayed, not to mention DVD (again, no progressive scan, unbelievable picture).

We also did not want a set that would take over the room. Although it is certainly bulky from side to side, (and I wish those side speakers weren't there, either), it fits well in the corner and actually makes our room look bigger than it did with the old cabinet housing the 27" Toshiba.

I think even my wife is impressed. I highly recommend this set. Thanks to all who contributed their views and helped me with this decision.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Enjoy guys. I know I have been enjoying my KF-42WE610 for about a month now. I'm still blown away every time I pop in a DVD, watch cable, or play video games.

Brion

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review! What I'm on the fence about is whether to get the 50 in. Sony LCD RP, or wait for 3-chip LCOS (Intel?)

I want to buy one TV to last a few years, so I can wait for LCOS...but, will it be as inexpensive as advertised?

Ugh, decisions!

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Spent half my day watching baseball in HD between the Angels/White Sox and Red Sox/A's game. Yeah, I'm really happy with my decision. :emoji_thumbsup: I can't wait for the Home Run Derby and All Star Game this week.

I still need to do a fair amount of tweaking, I have a day w/o baby tomorrow so I can play with the settings and try to finalize my settings. The other nice thing is that I ran a splitter from the cable so I can have the digital cable box on one input and cable also running through the Ant, so I can use the PIP. I'll be hitting the store on Saturday to pick up a DVI for the Digital Cable box, and a few upgrade cables on the Coax and Optical.

I'm really happy with this set. I was joking with my wife -- It's everything I loved about the DLP... without the headaches (literally).

Doug

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Thought I would post a followup report. I had done some searching on avsforum and it had come up a time or two.

I noticed some green tinting at the bottom corner of my screen, so I called out service. The optical block needed to be replaced (which is basically the main projection engine). I guess if dust or imperfections are left in the unit it causes a green tint in areas of the screen, sometimes splotches. Supposedly these are assembled in a dust free environment with people wearing suits and everything, but I guess they need to try a little harder. ;)

Anyway, new part was installed and I had a big green blotch in the middle of the screen. I'm happy to report that after stewing about it for an hour and figuring I'd just exchange it, since I've only had it a few months, that it went away. So I want to report if you show green tinting, it's your optical block. If you have it replaced and there's a splotch or anything, give it an hour or two, I guess it needed to wash out or something. .

I've got to say that I still love this TV. I was actually fretting the possibility that I was going to have to get the new model. The new model has HDMI instead of DVI. 1) My Comcast box has DVI (I know, the new one has a cable card, but that doesn't work for Pay Per View) and 2) I spent $120 on a fancy-ass DVI cable. I would have liked the built in tuner for local digital -- but really, I don't care since I get all but CBS on my Comcast box. I know HDMI is more convenient than DVI, but I don't know if there's a difference in picture (I could be mistaken).

Still wish it had another two or three component inputs, I have DVI Comcast, DVD, and XBox in there now, but oh well. The set looks great -- the "blacks" look fine (when I first said that at my in-laws house they looked at me weird, I think they thought I meant African Americans, so I clarified :) ). Just a nice, nice set.

Doug

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Oh well, scrap my last thread. Picture is a little fuzzy compared to before (not much, but I watched the other so much I noticed the difference, I guess there is a problem with the new block), so I'm having it changed out with the new KDF42WE655. I'll create a new post that compares any difference I notice sometime next week -- being delivered on Monday. Even though I had a few problems here or there with this Optical thing, I still love the set. I'll be interested to see how the new onboard tuner works out for local digital. Hopefully I'll be able to get CBS!

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks