What's new

Just curious what's everyone sets their tone at (1 Viewer)

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
By tone I meen bass and treble setting. I have my HK325 bass and treble set about 3/4 with the treble about 10% more. I had it flat and it just didn't sound right to me.
Depending on the source I adjust it sometimes(wish I could do it via remote).

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I use tone defeat for FLAT response.

I feel my speakers don't need treble or bas adjustment.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't need no darn tone controls.

Sorry, but I've defeated the tone-control circuits in both my systems.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I dont have a tone defeat option on mine damn model up does:) hehe but I leave mine flat no need for correction.

CurtisC

Second Unit
To a some extent it may depend on equipment/room.I set treble at 0 and bass +2.Try setting to 0/0 just before you turn unit off.The next time you listen don't change it,just listen,you may like like better.

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
I set mine to 0 or flat for both. I then configure my speakers to 74dB and the sub at 72dB (taking into consideration the Rat schack meter adjustment). I also have equalized my room with a filter at 46hz covering about 39hz to 52hz. This gives me a fairly flat response that is within a 6dB range from 20hz to 90 hz. Want to hear only what the director intended. Do not want add anything that is not suppose to be there.

Kirk

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
My bass control is moving the speakers closer to or farther from the walls. My treble control is adjusting the toe-in angle of my speakers, and opening and closing my closet doors. :)

If I had such controls on my equipment, I'd probably use them actually... we all pick speakers and adjust their placement to suit our taste, so why not adjust the tone a little for different music to make it sound better? The problem I guess is that usually it degrades the sound enough to warrant not being used. I'd have to say on better quality recordings tone controls would not be needed... rather, for those CDs that just sound a little harsh or have extra bass, that sort of thing.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've got a Pioneer VSX-45TX with the auto calibration feature. One of the things it does is a separate 5 band equalization on each speaker, to compensate for room acoustics, speaker response anomalies and unfortunate-but-necessary speaker placement. I can go to non-equalized configuration at the touch of a button but much prefer the auto-calibration settings as they are more accurate according the the frequency sweeps on AVIA.

Tone controls are flat, but I do use the "loudness" when listening to background music at low volumes--again available with one button on the remote.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
for quiet listening i put bass at +4 on my Denon 3802. For louder listening I either keep it as +4 or go to direct mode.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Most of the time mine are set flat for movies & music. But on some CDs & movies I use them to keep things listenable. Certain Beastie Boys albums have boomy bass (yes, I know that's probably intentional :)) but this is VERY boomy bass I'm talking about--bloated, in other words. Using the bass control helps tame it. My worst CD to listen to? Emmylou Harris'Wrecking Ball album. Holy crap, the sound of her voice on this CD is incredibly harsh--it's like they totally overloaded the mic's preamp during the recording session. Everything else--drums, cymbals, guitars--sounds excellent by contrast. I can't listen to this album without the treble control being turned down to at least "9:00" (and I am definitely not a fussy golden ear either). Since my Technics receiver's treble control is centered at 20kHz--so as not to disturb the touchy midrange frequencies--it takes that much knob twisting to tame this CD. Luckily, the bass control is centered at a low 50Hz so its easy to get rid of "Attack of the Clones" outrageous amount of bass.

100% accuracy? The speaker/room interaction & the speaker's imperfections themselves, for me anyway, pretty much wipes away any worries about perfect reproduction accuracy at home. And God only knows what kind of monitors and amps the artist/engineer used to make the album, so I quit worrying about this "needless sweaty palms" aspect years ago.

Here's a little factoid: back in the 80's, I read somewhere that in blind testing (uh oh!!!:eek: ) the large majority of people disliked "accurate" sounding systems, saying they sounded too harsh/strident and lacked bass & treble. But at high volume levels (normal conversation not possible) they found they sounded much better. This is totally understandable considering the proven fact that the human ear is less sensitive to bass & treble at low levels than at high volume levels. Ta da, this is what loudness controls are designed to compensate for! (and this partly explains the "smile curve" on demo graphic EQs at audio dealers). This is why I lament the scarcity of these circuits on today's receivers, and why I don't feel guilty using them. My receiver doesn't have one though, and things sound pretty weak at low levels, like at night.:thumbsdown:

And lastly, good loudness controls automatically reduce their effects as the volume increases--my old Pioneer SX-6 from 1983 does this.

I say, if it really sounds bad, start turning those knobs and pushing buttons. :D

For reference sake, this is my receiver (2001 model):Technics SA-DA8. IMO Technics components usually have lousy remotes lately--this one was no exception. I went and blew $51 on the SA-DA10's much better remote (I found out universal remotes operate few Technics receiver functions. Damn!).

LJ

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Flat on the Reciever (Being used as a PrePro) Direct Mode
for CD and I have an external Behringer 4 Band Parametric
that I use for tube sound (2 12AX7 Tubes) I don't use the
EQ settings at all.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I don't have them disabled, but leave them flat.

Also, I know I'll never reproduce the recording environment, however, I still try to get as accurate a response as my room and equipment will allow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks