What's new

Just checked the back of my TRUE ROMANCE disc and it is NOT RATED! (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Kinda hippocritical since they won't release "Eyes Wide Shut" in it's original version.
:frowning:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's just odd that's all. I feel if WB release a disc and their name is on it, they should be consistent with their policy, even if another studio produced it.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
No. I think this title is actually coming out through the recently-formed Morgan Creek Home Entertainment, which distributes its stuff through Warner like MGM used to.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And in response to an earlier bit, a person with a R2 PAL setup in the UK CANNOT see the original version of "The Shining." He'd have to either buy a multi-region, multi-system player or hop on a plane to the USA to see it.
Yes they can. Multi-region players are fairly common in Europe and the U.K. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of HTF's own Dan Brecher's collection is made up of Region 1 NTSC DVDs.

Now, Jack Briggs closed the prior thread for a reason. I don't think that was a signal to start up a new thread about the exact same issues.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Warner. and their policy is ridiculous. It's hippocritical as well.
Yeah, and it's hypocritical too. ;)
As with so many things, it helps if you know the history. The unrated director's cut of True Romance was released on laser disc in January 1994; a VHS version was released either simultanouesly or shortly before. At the time, AFAIK, there was no Warner policy against releasing unrated material.
In August 1994, Warner released Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers to theaters in its R-rated version and subsequently announced plans to release Stone's unrated director's cut in a later video version. To this day, though, Warner has never released the director's cut. The reason was that, beginning in early 1995 (I may be a little off on the date), Warner became the subject of much negative public commentary for the allegedly offensive nature of its entertainment products; among the prominent examples cited were NBK and the Ice-T song "Cop Killer".
In response, Warner canceled the director's cut of NBK (which was ultimately released by Trimark) and generally became much more skittish about what it would and wouldn't release. The policy against releasing NC-17 or unrated material dates from that time.
Since the director's cut of True Romance was already out there and had not attracted any negative attention, I suspect Warner regards it as part of their established library and allows it to be "grandfathered" in as an exception to the rule. Of course, you could never get anyone from the company to admit to it.
None of this makes the company's position any more consistent, but it does help to explain it.
M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Now, Jack Briggs closed the prior thread for a reason. I don't think that was a signal to start up a new thread about the exact same issues.
That is correct. Any further attempts to revive the earlier thread in this new one, which is about a different movie, will result in closure (and possibly more).

M.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Since the director's cut of True Romance was already out there and had not attracted any negative attention, I suspect Warner regards it as part of their established library and allows it to be "grandfathered" in as an exception to the rule. Of course, you could never get anyone from the company to admit to it.
It'll be interesting to see what Warner does if/when they get around to releasing Blowup on DVD. Its original release is historically considered to have played a very major role in bringing about the MPAA's modern ratings system, as it was the first time that a major studio had released a film with nudity. It was eventually released by MGM without the approval of the Production Code Administration (and would've presumably received an X, had the rating existed at the time). Anyway, it would likely garner an R if re-rated today, so I'm curious to see whether Warner will get the film re-rated or will go ahead and release it unrated. Of course, if they release it unrated, their likely excuse will be that it's an MGM film over which they had no editorial control. :)
DJ

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
No. I think this title is actually coming out through the recently-formed Morgan Creek Home Entertainment, which distributes its stuff through Warner like MGM used to.
Maybe now but the current version has the Warner logo all over it, including at the beginning of the disc.
It used to be that Warner wouldn't even distribute NC-17 product at all. When Showgirls first came to video and laserdisc, Warner would not distribute it. MGM used some sort of alternative distribution on that title for the VHS and they sold the laserdisc through Image Entertainment. They have since relaxed this policy seeing how they are distributing Crash and Pink Flamingoes which both have NC-17 ratings on the jacket.
Jeff

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
They have since relaxed this policy seeing how they are distributing Crash and Pink Flamingoes which both have NC-17 ratings on the jacket.
Both of those titles are handled by New Line, who have always had the ability to decide the content of their releases. Warner's policy applies only to films under the purview of their main banner.

DH

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Both of those titles are handled by New Line, who have always had the ability to decide the content of their releases. Warner's policy applies only to films under the purview of their main banner.
I am aware of that. But what I was saying was is that did not used to be the case. MGM's product didn't have Warner mentioned anywhere on it and they still would not even distribute Showgirls for MGM. This was back in the mid-90's.
Jeff

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I am aware of that. But what I was saying was is that did not used to be the case. MGM's product didn't have Warner mentioned anywhere on it and they still would not even distribute Showgirls for MGM. This was back in the mid-90's.
Did New Line run into any similar problems during this time period? If not, what I said about New Line still holds.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks