What's new

Just another example of how Bose has Brainwashed people (1 Viewer)

JedW

Agent
Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, but I was unsure of where it should go. Check out this thread I came across on another forum:

"Alright. I'm moving into a new place with some excess money on hand (not a lot, mind you.) and I'm definitely interested in getting a decent, affordable home theater. I like the idea of 7.1 but it's not necessary, 5.1 or 6.1 will do. What are good brands for tvs, receivers, dvd players and speakers?

The obvious choice for audio is Bose, but I don't know how that'll work out with my money situation.

I'm about to check out the Sony vega thing and I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to just get a full theater package from there.

What are your opinions/suggestions? Thanks in advance."

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I just say let them be. I'll mention once what can be had for the same price as a bose system, and let them go from there. Most will use them to "impress" friends more than actually watching movies anyway.

My stepdad recently told me how impressed he was with a bose demo he had at sam's. I nodded my head, smiled, and said, "I bet that was nice."

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I find the best way to illustrate the reality of Bose speakers is to point out how no one in the recording industry uses them for playback. (And we people say, "B&W, who the heck are they," I show them how half the CDs I own were recorded using B&W speakers for playback). If that doesn't work, you can also explain how Bose is just about the only speaker maker to be denied THX certification.

At least the person isn't buying their $500 clock radio.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
What's with all the Bose hatred? I've never owned any of their equipment, but it seems odd everyone on this board hates them with a passion. APEX makes crappy DVD players, but nobody seems to have a problem with them. Am I missing something here?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Matt, Apex makes crappy players and prices them accordingly, Bose on the other hand makes crappy speakers and prices them as if they are worth something. There's a big difference. Plus Bose has sued Consumer Reports over a negative review. Does that tell you anything? There's more to the story, do some searching if you want to learn about all their misleading practices.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I hate Bose, just like I hate Glock. Someone can know absolutely nothing about home audio or firearms but know what both of those products are, due to great marketing. And a lot of people believe they are both the best.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
just like I hate Glock
Not sure where that one came from. I've owned a Glock Model 22 for years. It's one of the best firearms I've ever owned. Easy maintenance, never jams, accurate. After I bought mine, my police department switched to the Glock 22. We went through transition training with the Missouri Highway Patrol, who had switched to the Glock.

With my old wheel gun, I shot in the high 80's. With my glock, I shot in the high 90's.

I can't see any comparison to Bose. Maybe Taurus and Bose, but not Glock.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Well, personally I don't like tupperware - I'm a JMB fan tho... It's more like Bose and HiPointe or Bose and Raven...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The point of the comparison is that people that know absolutely nothing about home audio still know what Bose is and is under the assumption they are the best.

The same thing with firearms, you can know absolutely nothing about them but still know what a Glock is and think it's one of the best.

They both have fantastic marketing departments. Both also use a lot of test that make no sense, but wow the average consumer. For example, Bose will put a speaker underwater for a year then say it will still play. To me that means nothing, to Joe 6 pack he may think that's cool. Glock does the same garbage, they let elephants trample their guns and then say 'hey it still works!'. Well fantastic, next time I'm running from an elephant I'll remember that. Why not just use an 18-wheeler, that seems more real world but to a marketing department that's not attractive enough.

And if we are going to argue about Glock we should start a new thread. THe point is that GLock is like ford, cheaply made with cheap parts. Yes, they are low maintenance, no outside controls, and fairly accurate. Police departments use them because they are inexpensive, they are cheaper to train with, and require very little maintenance. But this is a whole other argument that deserves a separate thread. You ever argue with a Joe 6 pack about how Bose really isn't good? Well I'm not going to get into that about Glock. If I could delete threads to avoid this argument I would.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd use Harley-Davidson instead of Ford.

*Overpriced? Check.

*Under-engineered? Check (Only took 45 years to get that sportster engine-vibration under control).

*Fanatical salesmen? Check

*Brainwashed customers? Oh hell yeah.

BOSE could only wish , however, to have customers so loyal they get brand Tattoos!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
He makes 2 mistakes:

- Bose is horrible, never the OBVIOUS choice, unless you're J6P

- It's Sony Wega, pronounved "Vega"

www.sony.com/wega - named this way because it was derived from German technology and more importantly, to get people talking about Sony products. ;)

Michael Grauman

Auditioning
You know I hear a lot of people who hate Bose on this forum, and while I do think they are very overpriced they are certainly not the worst you could do. My dad got a free pair of 301's (I'm pretty sure thats the right model) and we hooked them up to the old Yamaha receiver we had laying around and they sound pretty decent. We got them totally free so I can't really say I was ripped off but I have heard plenty speakers that sound much worse.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Fair enough, Steve. You just kinda caught me by surprize, because I had never really heard anyone put down Glock in the same way that Bose is put down. I know some people don't like Glocks, for whatever reason, but I just never thought it was an "overpriced, underquality" item.

I actually had someone come up to me last night and ask me about the new home theater thing, where you have one box, and it creates surround sound without any other speakers.

I looked at him and said, "Oh, you mean simulated surround sound. Go home, and look at your Sony receiver (I helped him install it). There is a button for simulated surround. Does the same thing."

People go for hype.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"My dad got a free pair of 301's " I'd almost get a pair if they were this cheap!

B

Craig

Second Unit
I had a pair of Bose 501s in the '70s that I thought sounded good, heavyweight construction, seemed to be good value for the price (bought them used from a friend). I also bought a pair of year old Bose 901s in the early '80s for $600, again thought they were good speakers. Quality of construction was very high on the 901s and I liked the open sound.

I don't care for the current satellite systems that Bose makes, they look cheap and the sound is just passable. I sold my old 901s a few years ago after having them in storage for a while. I'd say at least 90% of the people that called had no idea what 901s were and had no idea Bose made anything other than the satellite models. In fact when I explained that the 901s weren't sat/subwoofer combination type speakers, everyone lost interest. Finally sold them to a middle-aged guy who needed a second set of speakers for a rec room and knew what they were.

Bose was well thought of, and got good reviews from audio critics, back the late 60s and 70s. I think Bose kind of shot themselves in the foot by dumbing down their lineup and emphasizing the 'lifestyle' crap. On the other hand the foaming at the mouth, knee jerk criticism that occurs on most forums at the mere mention of 'Bose' is kind of overdone IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks