Jurassic Park Trilogy no DTS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I saw the new boxed set Jurassic Park Trilogy at a local store this past week and I noticed on the back only JP3 had a DTS track. Are they all this way or is this a boxed misprint?

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    No, it is not a misprint, unfortunately. If you want the first two JP movies in DTS, you have to buy them individually.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Note: If you buy the DTS versions of all three individually, you can send $6.95 in to get the box and fourth disc... and you'll have it all.

4. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Well, I bought all three disc seperately, but they are the SE editions (DD only?) Can I still get the box and fourth disc? And from where?

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World" were both released in dual versions — a normal "Collector's Edition" and a DTS version which lacks a few supplements. (There was actually also a pan and scan version, but let's ignore that one, shall we?)

"Jurassic Park III" exists in only one version, which contains both DD 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. (Again, there's a separate pan and scan version available, but who cares?)

I don't know this from personal experience, but if Tom is correct (and there's certainly no reason to suspect otherwise), then the "Jurassic Park Trilogy" box set includes only the DD version of the first two films.

Consumers who bought "Jurassic Park III" by itself, though, and already owned "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World" — in either DD or DTS versions — can mail in and receive both the cardboard "Trilogy" box and the special "Beyond Jurassic Park" bonus disc that is included in the box set. This was the case when "JP3" was first released, but I don't think the offer is still valid. If it is, there should ba a mail-in coupon inside of your "JP3" case.

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I find it increasingly funny that people no longer bother to read the information on what they are buying and simply assume it is the correct version. The back cover provides aspect ratio information for a reason.
    I feel if someone deosn't take the few seconds it requires to check the back cover for the aspect ratio (or sometimes the huge banner spanning the top of the front cover reading WIDESCREEN, then they unfortunately deserve to have to return to the store to trade-up for a correct widescreen version.

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

9. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I know exactly what you mean. I accidentally rented A Beautiful Mind in pan and scan. I just didn't know there were seperate versions!

As for the Jurassic Park thing, if the offer is still valid, I'll be one to go for that!

10. Stephen Fagan

Stephen Fagan Stunt Coordinator

The one that got me was The Silence of the Lambs, only the pan & scan copy was stocked, in a locked case at Wal-Mart. MGM put the Widescreen banner on the proper version, but didn't do any front labeling on the pan & scan. [​IMG]

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thankfully, Universal provided a mail in coupon allowing people like me, that bought the dts JP and Lost World, to get the JP3 and bonus disk + the box. This is the only way to get all dts versions of the films.

12. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor