What's new

Jurassic Park Trilogy no DTS? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I saw the new boxed set Jurassic Park Trilogy at a local store this past week and I noticed on the back only JP3 had a DTS track. Are they all this way or is this a boxed misprint?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
No, it is not a misprint, unfortunately. If you want the first two JP movies in DTS, you have to buy them individually.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Note: If you buy the DTS versions of all three individually, you can send $6.95 in to get the box and fourth disc... and you'll have it all.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I bought all three disc seperately, but they are the SE editions (DD only?) Can I still get the box and fourth disc? And from where?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
"Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World" were both released in dual versions — a normal "Collector's Edition" and a DTS version which lacks a few supplements. (There was actually also a pan and scan version, but let's ignore that one, shall we?)

"Jurassic Park III" exists in only one version, which contains both DD 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. (Again, there's a separate pan and scan version available, but who cares?)

I don't know this from personal experience, but if Tom is correct (and there's certainly no reason to suspect otherwise), then the "Jurassic Park Trilogy" box set includes only the DD version of the first two films.

Consumers who bought "Jurassic Park III" by itself, though, and already owned "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World" — in either DD or DTS versions — can mail in and receive both the cardboard "Trilogy" box and the special "Beyond Jurassic Park" bonus disc that is included in the box set. This was the case when "JP3" was first released, but I don't think the offer is still valid. If it is, there should ba a mail-in coupon inside of your "JP3" case.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Again, there's a separate pan and scan version available, but who cares?
Everybody should be aware of that — how many times have we seen posts saying "... I got home, unwrapped the disc, popped it in and it was Pan-n-Scam!"?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I find it increasingly funny that people no longer bother to read the information on what they are buying and simply assume it is the correct version. The back cover provides aspect ratio information for a reason.
I feel if someone deosn't take the few seconds it requires to check the back cover for the aspect ratio (or sometimes the huge banner spanning the top of the front cover reading WIDESCREEN, then they unfortunately deserve to have to return to the store to trade-up for a correct widescreen version.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
assume it is the correct version
If they are not aware there's an incorrect version out as well, people are more likely to make that mistake, that's all. I don't see too many people at the grocery stores reading the expiration date label — they just assume there won't be spoiled product on the shelves. Several years of DVD in OAR have somewhat helped to create the misconception that DVD==OAR in some people's minds.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I know exactly what you mean. I accidentally rented A Beautiful Mind in pan and scan. I just didn't know there were seperate versions!

As for the Jurassic Park thing, if the offer is still valid, I'll be one to go for that!

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
The one that got me was The Silence of the Lambs, only the pan & scan copy was stocked, in a locked case at Wal-Mart. MGM put the Widescreen banner on the proper version, but didn't do any front labeling on the pan & scan. :thumbsdown:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thankfully, Universal provided a mail in coupon allowing people like me, that bought the dts JP and Lost World, to get the JP3 and bonus disk + the box. This is the only way to get all dts versions of the films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks