What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Journey - Revelation 6/3/08 (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
As far as I know Wal-Mart has it exclusively for this week at least. It sells for $11.88 as well. Not a bad deal. I think the cd sounds great and Journey should be proud of this effort. This cd is far better than the last one they did by a damn site.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stunning.

But.....he ain't Steve Perry and never will be. Still, it could be Rich Little & Journey for all I care. :D Looking forward to listening to new stuff written with this guy in mind instead of Perry. The classics sound better with Perry. This guy is good, but he doesn't quite have Perry's range (at least based on the ELLEN SHOW Separate Ways performance). Hopefully this won't go like Chicago without Cetera.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Are there any clips of the new songs online? Their website and MySpace pages don't seem to have any.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Cool! It's like the 80s again!

Scale of 1-10
Never Walk Away. 10/10. Excellent! Sounds like the Journey I know and love. This new guy is GOOD!
Like A Sunshower. ??/10. I'll have to hear more of this one. Just pales in comparison to the first track.
Change For The Better. 8/10. Sounds like Phil Collins and Genesis. Very good!
Wildest Dream. ??/10. I don't really like it. Still, need to hear the whole thing.
Faith In The Heartland. 9/10. Promising. Reminds me of Styx a little bit. But mostly old Journey, which is a good thing.
After All These Years. 10/10. Excellent. Damn. I may have to spend the money and buy this. Too bad my buddy at work isn't allowed to make the calls and get us freebies anymore. :angry:
Where Did I Lose Your Love. 8/10. I like it. Wanna hear more!
What I Needed. ??/10. Not sure. It's a little like an American Idol performance. Might be okay. A little less "Steve Perry" here. Loving the guitar work on these. Those guys rock!
What It Takes To Win. ??/10 Same as above. Less "Steve Perry". Not sounding bad at all.
Turn Down The World Tonight. 8/10. Same here too. Good though.
The Journey (Revelation). ??/10. Great guitar work. I wish I was 16 again with this blasting in my Chevy Nova and shiiit. :)

Although, I'm afraid this guy's "weaknesses" (well, basically the times he doesn't sound just like Perry) are going to throw me off. Destroying this nice little illusion. Just gotta move on away from Perry and accept this guy to really enjoy this I think. He's pretty good. His "covers" of the classics sounds similar to the old stuff. That'll be fine for a concert, but I'll stick with my Greatest Hits CD for home listening. As for the new stuff I might be sold on that. Hell, this seems like a nice deal.

I haven't researched it or anything, but I"m very interested in what "the real" Steve Perry thinks of this. I don't mean a "blurb" I mean really thinks about this. ;) Imagine being replaced like this. Only way they could go further is by wheeling out a friggin clone. "Remember that DNA you dropped in the garbage Steve? Weeeelll..."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Regarding the clips: I think it's a little shameless, particularly in light of Schon saying they won't even talk to Perry except through a lawyer. I mean, I picture Schon in the studio saying, "Let's try that part again, Arnel. You didn't quite sound like Steve." That said, I have to admit that it sounds pretty good. I sampled some of the other sans Perry albums and had no interest, but I might buy this. $11.88 for two CDs and one DVD is pretty hard to pass up.

Faith of the Heartland sounds like an attempt to do a Don't Stop Believin' story song. It works, if the clip is any indication.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
They originally offered the job to Jeremy Hunsicker, the lead singer of the tribute band Frontiers.

JOURNEYTRIBUTEBAND.COM

He turned them down but gets some writing credit on the album.

BTW, anybody else notice Never Walk Away is basically Be Good To Yourself with different lyrics and vocal melodies?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yes, I thought it was just me. Still a great song ,but, definately has a sound that is the same.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

That's not how I took Schon's account of things. Schon wants to talk to Perry, but Perry isn't having any of it these days, and it's degenerated to having to go through channels, i.e., lawyers to communicate with Perry. It's around 2:35 mark of the CBS segment. It's not that they "WON'T" talk to Perry, but they CAN'T talk to Perry, unless it's through attorneys. The onus is on Perry, not the rest of the band to talk in person to without intermediaries.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Why would we want a cd of their old songs sung by someone else? What's wrong with the original recordings?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^

They're "selling" the new guy to the fans.

See fans? He sounds just like....just like...uhmmmmm, what's that old guy's name again?

Afterall, if you go see them in concert now you're going to hear the new guy not the old. And he does a fine job voicing those old songs. But...I was listening to my Greatest Hits CD over the weekend and Perry will always be the lead of the group as far as I'm concerned. This new version is a different group. And they aren't bad.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Since there's no mention anywhere (even on the packaging) of the contents of the DVD, I thought I'd post it here for those wondering. It runs just over an hour, is anamorphic (it's slightly pillarboxed in a window on my PC screen -- might be 1.7:1 or so), and has DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 audio options. I'm listening to the 2.0 via headphones, and it has that real concert sound that some people don't care for, but I do (think Rush In Rio). Here's the tracklist:
  • 1. Skylight
  • 2. Any Way You Want It
  • 3. Wheel In The Sky
  • 4. Lights
  • 5. After All These Years (new)
  • 6. Never Walk Away (new)
  • 7. Open Arms Prelude
  • 8. Open Arms
  • 9. Mother Father
  • 10. Wildest Dream (new)
  • 11. Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)
  • 12. Faithfully
  • 13. Don't Stop Believin'
  • 14. Be Good To Yourself
I really don't understand why they're keeping this information so secret. That's a pretty substantial "bonus disc." And based on the song or two I've heard so far, the performance is solid and the camera work is great (plenty of medium and close shots and none of that crack-addled hyperactive editing that ruins so many concert videos nowadays).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Plus, let's face it, these guys mainly get their money from either the residuals from radio play, or from the concert tours. I see this 3-disc package ($11.88 is pretty affordable) as a nice marketing tool for the band to introduce their fans to a new lead singer who can do justice to their catalog of hits, and to entice fans to pony up much more in concert ticket sales (typically over $80/ticket for shows this summer). And if my friend can land some tickets for their concert date in August for my town, I'll be catching them in concert. Looks like their marketing worked on this fan.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Picked this up at Wal-Mart this weekend and am really enjoying it. It may be blasphemy to say so, but I actually think Arnel has a slightly better voice than Steve.

I can't believe how it's like the 80's all over again this year! New albums from Journey, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Taylor Dayne, B-52's, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper.... :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Madonna hasn't exactly been out of the spotlight.
she has continued to make music and sell records over the years.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I took a listen to the last Journey album with Steve Perry ("Trial By Fire" from the mid-1990's), and I swear Perry was sounding like Rod Stewart (much more raspier than previously) on that album. At least Pineda has given Journey another decade of sounding like Journey from the Steve Perry era because I just don't think Perry of today could hit all the big notes from those hit songs in their catalog.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I've always felt that "Faithfully" was Perry's absolute best vocal performance ever. I compare all other Journey singers to that standard and Pineda is dangerously close if not bang on in the vocal ranges of that epic song. I will be happy as hell to watch him carry Journey into their ....new frontiers.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks