What's new

Journey - Revelation 6/3/08 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'll confess to being a big fan of Journey's in the 70's and 80's, but sort of lost touch with them when Steve Perry left the band, and they had to go with a couple of other lead singers in the past decade.

Just found out that Journey's newest album just dropped today. The best deal appears to be from Wal-Mart, where you get 2 CDs (1 CD with new songs, and 1 CD with re-releases of their classic hits, but now sung by new lead singer, Arnel Pineda, and a DVD featuring a live concert by them earlier this year). Pineda was found on Youtube, as a lead singer of a Journey cover band, and now he's actually their new lead singer. Weird.

From the snippets I've heard, I'll be buying this album tonight.

Walmart.com: Revelation (Wal-Mart Exclusive) (2CD) (Includes DVD), Journey: Wal-Mart CD Store

I think I also might go see them in concert (touring with Heart and Cheaptrick) when they make a stop in early August.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I preordered the new CD several weeks ago and it shipped the other day. Still waiting for it to arrive. Look up Arnel Pineda on YouTube and there are some clips of him singing with Journey. He sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry. It's really quite uncanny. I'll definitely get tickets to the concert as well. I really like Heart and while I am not that much of Cheap Trick fan, their last CD was pretty good.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
They covered the new vocalist on CBS Sunday morning this past weekend. He was discovered on YouTube by Neil Schon and is a dead ringer for Steve Perry soundwise. Neil called the bassist at midnight and told him to check out the YouTube video.

The guy was doing Police covers which sounded just like Sting in addition to Journey covers.

He was flown to the US by Journey to audition. The immigration folks were holding up his paperwork and when he told them he was auditioning for Journey one of them asked him to sing "Wheel In the Sky", which he did flawlessly and the paperwork miraculously got expedited...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
esides neil schon who else is in the band.
last journey cd i ought was raised on radio.
that one was down to 3 members.

Perry, schon and hmm don't remember.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to Schon, Ross Valory and Jonathan Cain are still in the band. Dean Castronovo has been the drummer since 1998.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm that much of a Journey fan any more, but this new vocalist is unbelievable! I saw the video playing in WM today and was floored at how identical he sounds to Steve Perry. Not only that, but he's running around the stage looking like he's 25...and he's 40! I wonder how long before Steve Perry tries to sue??? From the video, you can tell the band is reinvigorated.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'd be interested to hear what people think when they get to listen to the album. I'm not sold by the samples (some sounded promising, some sounded "ehh"), but I know that is never a real good way to judge an album.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just think if when Journey was looking for a new lead singer the first time, they had said, "We need someone who sounds just like Gregg Rolie." I'd rather they find a good, new lead singer with his own sound or just call it a day. They've pretty much been dead and gone since Raised on Radio, as far as I'm concerned.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
There was a Journey/Def Leppard double bill here in town last year, and I had to go to that. Journey was really quite good as a nostalgia trip, and Neil Schon was excellent. Jeff Scott Soto was singing for the band at the time - another Perry soundalike - and I was surprised at how much I liked him. I remember thinking after the show, there's no way Perry is still hitting all those notes like this kid. Certainly worth the trip for people of a certain age...

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I've listened to the album and while Arnel is a pretty good singer, the songs just didn't do it for me. I know some may disagree, but Perry's songwriting skills are definitely missed. The man had a way of crafting a vocal melody that not many can touch.

Agreed. They had this in Jeff Scott Soto, a guy who can hit all the notes but has his own distinctive voice. He was let go because Journey wanted to get back to that "classic sound" as Cain called it, i.e., a Perry sound-alike.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Well, from the cheap seats he looked great!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Didn't know that Aaron. However old he is he did an excellent job.

James Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the new CD. There are three discs. One with all new songs. One with the old hits re-recorded with the new singer, and the last disc is a DVD of what I believe is their first concert appearance with the new guy. The new songs are good, but on the first listen I wasn't blown away by any of them. I'll have to give that disc several listens to form a more definite opinion. re-recorded classics and the DVD show how phenomenal the new singer is. He hits the high notes as good as, if not BETTER, than Steve Perry. It's quite astounding.

Tickets for their concert stop in the San Francisco Bay Area go on sale sunday morning. I'll definitely get tickets to the show.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

I am a Viking, I'm going out to war
I've got death upon my mind
And I was leavin' oh yesterday
I've got no fear in my heart

My favorite Yngwie song. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i saw yngwie live at the spectrum late 80's.
he opened for ac/dc.
we had seats in the 6th row.

he did something that caused feedback and he was using a footpedal or some gadget on the floor of the stage to enhance the feedback.
it must have lasted for nearly a minute and it was the loudest sound i ever heard.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It strikes me that if Neal Schon and Yngwie Malmsteen got together they could probably write some really friggin' great music. . .

:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I guess there was just too much bad blood after Perry injured his hip in '96 and would require a hip replacement procedure, and he put off hip replacement surgery until faced with an ultimatum by the rest of the band in '98: get the surgery or get the boot. Timing was an issue because they just released Trial By Fire, and wanted to do a world tour that was canned because Perry wasn't able to be the front man in concert, and their window was closing in terms of such a world tour as Perry dragged his feet on the decision for the surgery. Of course, after he was booted out of the band, he did get successful hip replacement surgery, but by then the hurt feelings and bitterness overwhelmed any chance for a reunion.

According to wiki, there was some rumblings after Jeff Scott Soto got fired last year that Perry would be coming back to the band, but according to Schon's words in the CBS segment on Journey finding their new lead singer via Youtube, the communication between the band and Perry is still in the "you have your lawyer to talk to my lawyer" phase.

I just looked it up, Perry is about 59 years ago now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is this out now? I looked at both Best Buy and Circuit City today and didn't find it at either store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks