What's new

John's BRUCE CAMPBELL admiration thread. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just finished reading his autobiography 'If Chins Could Kill Confessions of a B Movie Actor' (well, last week anyway), and I have so much damn respect for this man it's pathetic. He went through hell, and the sad part is, he still gets no respect from Hollywood! But this all doesn't seem to bother him, so I guess it's cool with me too.
I love his attitude, he has a very humorous outlook on life that is very inspiring to me, he always has a joke ready to describe even the worst horrors of his life and I like that. He takes things on the, eh hem, chin.:) He really put things in perspective about how the Hollywood machine works in this book, it's a well oiled machine designed to chew up and spit out anyone who dares venture there with hopes of "making it big". According to him, the only big thing you'll make in Hollywood is a 'Big Mac' if your not careful, and have the stomach to take it. I wouldn't have been able to stand everything he went through that's for damn sure.
I e-mailed him right after I read it, and I got a reply the next day, which was a thrill. It wasn't very long, just one or two sentences, but at least I got his attention with my message.
Anyway, i'll never think of this man the same way since reading about his exploits as an actor. In fact, I have a whole new appreciation for 'Evil Dead' now after reading about the living hell he, Sam Raimi, and the crew went through to make it! Freezing temperatures, an impassable dirt trail to town because of ice, sleeping on floors, cameras and other equipment actually freezing, and one "broken" shirt (don't ask, read the book)! I used to think it was a cheap, little horror flick that was not as good as 'Evil Dead 2', now, it's right on par with it IMO.
Here's to you Bruce.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I like him too. Pretty cool guy in person. His mannerisms remind me a lot of a friend of mine named Tripp Cook.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
I burned through this book in about 4 days over Christmas, it's a great read for Campbell/Raimi fans. It's hysterical at some points, and you gain some great insight into the Evil Dead movies and the personalities behind them. Bruce sounds like a great, down-to-earth kind of guy, the kind of guy you'd love to sit down and chat with for hours.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I just watched Evil Dead for the 1st time when the "Book of the Dead" version came out. There is a great bit on there hosted by Bruce Campbell about Fandom. I've liked everything he's been in, and I'll have to pick up this book as it sounds like a winner!

BTW does anyone know if Sam Raimi was in Seaquest DSV?? I swear he looks just like one of the crew.

Brian

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I did get to meet him when he was doing a book signing here in Albuquerque. Very funny and nice guy! I really enjoyed the fact that he went out of his way for his fans. He spent a lot of time with each person and even played a few jokes on people. In one instance, this guy's cell phone rings so Bruce answers the phone and ends up talking with the guy's girlfriend for a few min. It was absolutely hillarious! If any of you get a chance to meet him I urge you to do so because he's really a great guy.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
"If Chins Could Kill" is one of my favorite books! My sister got me this for Christmas, and I went through it quicker than cashews through a Labrador. Bruce is definitely one of my favorite actors, and I even have a special section dedicated to him in my DVD collection. I'd love to see Brisco County, Jr. on DVD, and am praying that the rumors of Evil Dead 4 come true. While it got very little mention in the book, I would recommend Running Time to all Bruce fans (and most others as well). I enjoy it immensely, if for no other reason than it's got Bruce onscreen for almost the entire movie. I could think of plenty worse ways to spend 70 minutes.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have enjoyed just about everything he has ever done and look forward to reading his book.
Now if I could just find out where in Oregon he actually lives..... :D

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
Evil Dead 4 would rule!!!!!!! (that would depend on which ending to AoD they started from......)
The book is amazing. I am still amazed that they got him to come to Albuquerque of all places. Not that I'm complaining :D
I also have to highly recommend Running Time. I only bought it because Bruce was in it. Turned to be an good movie. (Not that I was all that surprised)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I would love to meet this man! And yes, 'Evil Dead 4' would be great, but he has made it VERY clear on his website that it's not going to happen, the reason? 'Army of Darkness' made very little money. I sent him an e-mail about a month or so ago and asked about the 'Evil Dead 4' rumor, this was of course before I checked out his website with a fine tooth comb, and discovered to my horror that I asked a really dumb question in my message!:frowning:
Anyone who hasn't read his book and are fans of his should definatly read this, it's not only a very funny telling of his life, but a sharp insight into how the acting business is either kill or be killed, it's a brutal business, and he has seen it all, and tells all.
And if your one of many who are excited about 'Spiderman', you'll come away with a new found appreciation for Sam Raimi too, I know I sure did.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
He made it quite clear that unless someone wants to make money in about 10 years, there would be no evil dead 4. So I've taken the rumours as just that. A fan can wish though...

'Spiderman' can't get here fast enough.

just as an aside for Bruce fans with a PS2, check out the new spiderman game. you won't be sorry!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
But on the bright side Ryan, he has stated that he would do it in a heartbeat if the project ever came to pass, so at least we have his commitment to play Ash again IF it ever happens.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just watched one of the funniest freaking movies I have ever seen, it's call Bubba Ho-Tep. :laugh:
In it, Bruce plays nothing less than the king of rock n roll himself Elvis Presley! One problem, actually two problems, no make that THREE problems, first, he's old and in an old folks home, secondly, he has some sort of growth on his manhood and third there's a 1000 year old mummy on the loose killing the residents by sucking the soul out of their asses and shitting them down the crapper! :laugh:
I don't know from what imagination this film sprang, but he deserves all the respect I can muster! Bruce is brlliant in it too, check it out! :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Bruce Rules.

Cant wait for the Hotep sequel - Bubba Nosferatu (No Im not joking)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I love Bruce Campbell ever since my brothers and I rented Army of Darkness on a whim. We were the habit of renting cheap, low budget, horror movies Friday nights and sitting down with a case of beer.

We expected AoD to be a serious horror film, so we were on the floor laughing with Bruce's one-liners. "This is my BOOMSTICK!"

He has great comedic timing and truely is under-utilized in Hollywood.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I had a chance to meet Bruce during the Brisco days, very nice guy. Went to a local "Kid's Fair" he was appearing at for Brisco -- a very long line of kids and freaks. Ha-Ha. When I say freaks, I just mean us Evil Dead fans who were there with the shirts on (back when you could only get bootleg Evil Dead shirts). Funny thing was that my buddy and I were the first Dead fans in line, up until us it was Brisco fans who'd never heard of Evil Dead. I got what is without a doubt the worst picture ever taken of me and my bud Chris; the frustrating thing is that I'm a damn good looking guy! :)
Bruce was great, had us sit at his table for a sec where we shot the bull for a minute or two until they had to "move the line". Moooooo. That was a very, very long day and a pretty funny story for a different day.
In terms of ED4, I think the market would handle a movie like that now. When AOD came out, horror wasn't the in thing. The fact that AOD was a fence rider between horror/gore and adventure probably didn't help it. Thankfully I saw it opening night, since it was gone the next week. You look at the last Freddy and Jason movies, they really didn't do that great because the market had shifted away from them. But, with the retro craze for old Nintendo, horror, and cartoons like Transformers, we're probably in a time where ED would be "cool" and do pretty well.
Doug

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
John, I dont have any details, but I know a sequel is planned if they can get funding. I saw a few articles on it a few months back. The thought of it alone is enough to make u laugh. The King kicking the Brides asses to get the main Vamp:laugh:
The King didnt really die baby:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks