What's new

Johnny Carson dies (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, he was class all the way. When he decided to stop being on The Tonight Show he didn't feel the need to remain in the limelight. He lived his final years the way HE wanted, and we can only be so lucky. Thank you, Johnny. RIP. You were The Best!

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator
This truly is a sad day for television. My father was an avid tonight show watcher during the Carson years and cannot believe he is gone. He truly revolutionalized late night television and there will be no one like him ever again. R.I.P JOHNNY CARSON, WE'LL MISS YOU!!!!!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
David Letterman said today that all who came after Johnny (himself included) were just pretenders. Those of us who watched Carson for any length of time know why he earned the title of "King of Late Night".

What I will remember most about the Carson era Tonight Show will be the wide variety of guests. To be sure, he would book whoever the hot new actor/singer was, but he also gave couch space to authors, businessmen, and plain old everyday folks who had something interesting to share. He also gave time to legendary performers during their last years to show them that people still cared.

Steve

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Like many here, I grew up watching Johnny Carson. 13 years after he retired, I'm still getting used to him not being on every night.

RIP, Johnny. You will always be the King of Late Night.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'm old enough that I remember Steve Allan, Jack Paar and Johnny Carson very well.

If there is a special place after this life, I hope they're having a laugh and a drink there.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy your rest, Johnny.....and thanks for all of the wonderful moments. You are loved.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Such a sad way to start a new year. Just when I heard this past week he was still sending jokes to Dave, was pleased he was still thinking funny, so sad to hear this news.

Thanks Johnny.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Another piece of Americana is gone.
One of the very best pieces no less. Funny, warm, reassuring in some manner.

Maybe the idea of a late night show or his schticks seems less impactful to people who grew up with cable plus a hoard of late night shows, but it used to just be him and then maybe the Tomorrow Show.

Carson was good enough that you really looked forward to watching him and hated when the show ended, sort of like classic SNLive.

It seems so long since he retired, but I guess it really isn't. I really didn't expect him to pass so soon, that's for sure.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I just received the Carson DVD set for Christmas and watched it with my Dad...We both had tears in ours eyes by the end from laughing so much.

Growing up it was a special treat to be able to stay up and actually see the opening monologue of The Tonight Show and I feel like he helped develop my sense of humour. His timing and his reactions were key to his performance.

I kinda always wanted to thank him...

My favourite Carnac:

Answer: Sis-Boom-Bah

Question: The sound a sheep makes when it explodes.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
01/23/2005: A sad day. :frowning:
Johnny was always a pleasure to watch. Just tonight I was watching one of his guest appearances on "The Jack Benny Program" (from Ocober 1963), which had Johnny playing the drums (pretty well too), as well as performing card tricks, singing, and dancing. A great episode.
6303072240.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I, too, recall the "Sis-Boom-Bahhhh" bit with Johnny and Ed. That bit cracked up Ed McMahon more than any other single gag/joke that I can think of on The Tonight Show. Classic stuff. :)
I noticed tonight that http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068WS7/qid=1106547028/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-6978922-8315268?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/index.jsp#
Thank you, Johnny, for a lifetime of fun and laughter. ** SALUTE **
story.obit.j.carson.ap.jpg

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
There's really nothing more I can say about Johnny Carson that haven't been said already. He was always funny, classy, and a gentleman. While I enjoy Leno, Conan, and Letterman, Carson stood heads and shoulders above these guys.

RIP Johnny.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
carson is one of a handful of people who truly deserve to be called A LEGEND -- and he will always be my favorite late show host.
i still recall his final episode, with bette midler singing to him. wow.
rest in peace mr. carson ...

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I started watching Johnny Carson around 1979, when I was a child, and kept watching until he retired. He's still the King of latenight. He'll be missed.
The Carson Collection infomercial is the only infomercial I'll actually sit and watch. Just to see the footage.
RIP Johnny :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks