What's new

John Ford at Fox: 21 disc set in December!!! (2007) (1 Viewer)

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Here are the titles that are included in the big box, and not included in one of the three smaller box sets:

Young Mr. Lincoln (Criterion Collection version still available; includes additional disk of supplements)
Tobacco Road
The Prisoner of Shark Island (newly available separately)
Wee Willie Winkie
Four Men and a Prayer
Pilgrimage (available in newly released twofer with 'Born Reckless')
Born Reckless (available in newly released twofer with 'Pilgrimage')
The World Moves On
Seas Beneath

So I guess there are only five titles in the box that are not currently available elsewhere in R1. (Does a Temple box include 'Wee Willie Winkle'? Is this its R1 DVD debut? I could not find a listing at Amazon.)

I suppose Fox might decide to release those five titles separately sometime in the future.

I already own 'Young Mr Lincoln' and the MOC 'Prisoner of Shark Island.' For that matter, I also own each title in the 'Essential' box set, barring the Dwan movie and the new documentary. If I understand correctly, 'Drums Along The Mohawk' is the only title in that set that has received an upgrade for this edition.

I could always buy the Silents and Comedies sets, upgrade my 'Mohawk' and 'Shark Island,' grab the documentary and 'Pilgrimage/Born Reckless' twofer separately, and own the bulk of the material.

But I still want that damn huge box set. I think the packaging looks excellent, despite the issues encountered by Mr. Tucker in Rocket City.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
hope mine comes alright. I had it pre-ordered for ages, then cancelled it think I just couldn't justify the blind buy... then got all tempted and ordered it again XD

I should see it next week or so, I'll report any problems with the discs.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Out of the above, only Tobacco Road and Four Men And A Prayer (which I've never seen but sounds promising) are titles of interest not otherwise available. And considering Fox just released TR in Germany this past year, I'm sure we'll see it issued on it's own a few months after the dust settles from the major Ford box. Fox surely wanted to keep a couple of exclusives to entice customers to the deluxe set, but they're not adverse to making money either and I'm almost certain we'll at least see this one released separately in the near future. If not, there's always the newly restored German release...

As for The World Moves On and Seas Beneath, I'm sure I'd pick them up as a two-fer if given the option, but only out of curiosity, if not for completist sake. Apparently, these are not very good films at all...

And the Shirley Temple movie is one I don't really care much about one way or the other. So while nice additions to the set, I don't really consider any of the above a big loss. I consider them interesting extras. Not enough to sway my opinion though...

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Yesterday I watched Tobacco Road for the first time. (Thankfully, the DVD played without problems, even though it was one of the scratched ones.)

It's a beautiful looking film. IMHO during this period (1939-41) Ford was blessed with some of the best cinematographers of his career (Arthur C. Miller in this case).

However, being the grandson and great-grandson of farmers and sharecroppers, I was alternately amused and appalled by the antics and amorality of the Lesters. After learning how much the novel and play were bowdlerized by the Production Code, for once I was grateful for censorship. Uncut Erskine Caldwell on the screen would have been unbearable.

Unfortunately, I don't think Caldwell was exaggerating much. The sad thing is that there are still people like that down here.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hi to all!

FoxClassics.com has just put the text below in quotes up as of 12/14 - if my info holds up it should be about FRONTIER MARSHALL. Interestingly if you buy the set on TCM's website they are giving the dvd of SUNRISE as a bonus!

"SPECIAL REDEMPTION OFFER FOR FORD AT FOX PURCHASERS COMING SOON"

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Neat article! My set just arrived. Sadly, the cover was loose on the DVD book that holds the disc. I think I'm going to just fix it myself. I'm guessing shipping to Canada in the cold probably froze the glue causing it to come loose. I have acces to 3M double sided tapes, they should do the trick. :)

Other then that, Incredibly impressive set! My only complaint is the DVD are in the binder all willy nilly, I have to take them all out and get them in Chrono order. :P

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Beware of bilingual packaging on individual sets in Quebec...

Another box set I'll have to pick up across the border.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hi John

On the offer for FRONTIER MARSHALL that should be the promo being hinted at on the foxclassics.com site my info is the studio needs to follow the legalities of if their rights pemits the disc being shipped to the areas. So if FOX has the legal right to distribute the title in your area I would asssume the offer will be available so ......

Also a shout out to all my friends here on the forum most importantly if you have not grabbed the box by all means make the decision soon because whatever was sent out to distributers is all there is going to be - the box will not have new stock from Fox. What is out there is all there is going to be!

I am actually searching down a good price now!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks