What's new

John Ford at Fox: 21 disc set in December!!! (2007) (2 Viewers)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would prefer SS/DL discs too, and it would have been nice had Fox included original artwork postcards for each film (sounds like carping, but honestly isn't intended as such).

I would also prefer for the box to arrive at my door right NOW, but reading descriptions like yours, Eric, keep me going until it does...

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
Thank You Fox! At long last one of my top five movies of all time is now available on DVD, "Tobacco Road" and the transfer is amazing. Every frame looks like an Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, or Dorthea Lange photograph. I am guessing that Ford was influenced and thinking about their work when making this moving film. It was the first one I watched and Wow!
Regarding the Box set it is Elegant and Beautifully produced. The rubber buttons holding the discs in place work well, one just needs to realize they are rubber and quite flexible. At first I couldn't remove the disc but they remove quite easily by firmly pulling the disc and pushing the rubber. When returning the disc to the book I found that the disc must be centered precisely with the hole and they easily push back in place.
I can't wait to watch all the films. Bravo Fox!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I didn't resist long. Amazon's price was good and I had a GC so that brought it under $160 shipped. That's a lot of quality movies.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I may be in the minority but I'm thinking of getting the smaller boxes. They seem to have the discs in individual keepcases (slimcases?), and have amazingly beautiful artwork.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pricing might be an issue with the smaller boxes, but I couldn't pass on the $84.00 purchase price for the big boxset.

Anyhow, trying to figure out how to get these discs out without cracking them.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

This is what I intend to do.

I hate "book-style" packaging and the only advantage to the larger set minus the price with the B&N promo and shipping discount is the addition of the book and a few repro cards (which would've been nice to have included in standard size in the separate box sets). I've already books on John Ford and the concept of a box set that is essentially a giant black box with red lettering and a bunch of cd sheets with double-sided discs minus any artwork is not appealing to me. I also already own the Criterion version of Lincoln and so any "content" extras are not necessary in this case as they're already existent in my collection. I'd rather pick up the sets individually and have proper cases with artwork (and the beautiful classic one sheet posters dawning the covers look fantastic!) and I also like that the films are indexed thematically (silents, classics, comedies, etc). Not only that but as of right now, you actually get more this way as there are films available that are not included in the deluxe set. And with the packaging it just seems a hell of a lot more convenient for revisiting in future... not to mention easier on shelf space (and better looking).

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

I might be confused but isn't the Dwan the only movie included in one of the smaller sets that is currently excluded from the deluxe box?

And aren't there around seven Ford movies that are exclusive to the deluxe box?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
You are right Gregory, but of those extras, some like the Crit. Lincoln are already offered in more choice editions. And I believe that all the others of significance are available separately with excellent poster art repro covers. So for me the decision is an easy one. Oversized black box with book and plastic disc sheets or elegant and conveniently packaged sets ideal for revisiting. No question here. Of course, if only the deluxe set was made available I'd spring for it in an instant, I just think the smaller sets are more favorable in this case. But the decision is one of "best of the best" as overall Fox should be applauded for turning out such extensive and comprehensive packagings of wonderful films. If only Columbia, Sony, Paramount, Universal (esp. with their classic horror catalog!!!) etc. would rise to the occasion!

Imagine a similarly packaged Universal set of every single one of their classic monster movie/creature features (sequels and all) with such extensive extras and artwork, books, lobby cards, etc. Too bad Fox and Warner Bros. are currently in the minority... but we've sure come a long way from 5 years ago!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And I was charged $61 to have it shipped to Amsterdam... :frowning:

Now I'm going to see how and when it arrives.... (and there's a possible little matter of Customs and VAT).

Cees

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Did you pre-order the set? Maybe I got cheap postage because I put it on order a 2 weeks before the release date?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Bloody hell! I've checked every disc in the set and practically all of them have radial scratches from being put into the binder. :angry:

I tried to watch The Prisoner of Shark Island in my primary DVD player, and it started skipping ahead 27 minutes in. Fortunately, my secondary DVD player handled the scratches without a problem.

Now I'm wondering what to do next: exchange the set, or try to buff out the scratches.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tim,

Often those "scratches" caused by rubbing of the disc to package material are really smears. Did you try to carefully wipe the discs (using radial movements, of course)? I've had excellent results with "scratches" cause by an occasional free floating disc.

Simon,

No I ordered it at the last minute: last Monday (not in an attempt to get a better shipping fare), at Laser's Edge.

Cees

Edit: Box arrived 5 minutes ago at my door! Excellent condition of package. Beautifully packaged (with foam stripes firmly holding it free from the outer box). It's impressive, I'll need to think up a good place to store this box.
Haven't unwrapped the box proper yet, probably I will check out most of it this weekend.
C.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I wiped each disc when I removed them from the binder, and the scratches didn't go away. :frowning:

I just double checked and 14 of the DVDs have those scratches, some worse than others.

I think I may have misdescribed the scratches I'm finding. There are not along the radius of the disc (from center to edge), but are patches of parallel scratches following the circumference of the DVD -- in other words, right along the datapath.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tim.

Circular scratches on DVDs are worse indeed. If those are scratches, you need to check if they play at all and consider swapping them. (I would try to swap the individual discs, not the whole package.)

We need to know if this is common, at least I'll check mine a.s.a.p. and let you know my findings!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks